Pack ideas for very light and fast bowhunting

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
good point holocene. with my kifaru spikecamp or timberline II i can unclip the sternum strap and loosen the shoulder straps (and even take my shoulders out of the straps if i want) and shoot my bow unhindered while wearing the pack because all the weight is on the waist belt. great for when you bump into an animal in bow range with no time or you can't afford the movement to drop the pack.

This is why I like my daypack so much. I hardly even know it's there, my G20 fits on my hip on my pants belt easily because the thin waist belt just slides behind it, and there's nothing to get in the way when shooting my bow. Most the time I'm running in when I suddenly have a shot at the bull, so no time to think about it or worry about having anything to get in the way. Just nock, draw, and shoot.

Even when I wear my SG after packing camp in, I wear it really low so that the frame top is below my shoulders and even neck line so nothing catches on it.......especially my binos and bugle tube which are both under my right arm and around my neck (left-handed).

Jls21601

FNG
Kifaru ultralight frame, quarter panel for hauling meat, and a Sherman pocket. You could throw a KUIU stalker 500 in there for final approaches but have an excellent way to haul meat too.

mtnkid85

WKR
Ill run my Exo frame with the lid, beavertail and slurpy stalker as a day pack. That works quite well and since you already have the Exo frame it would be a cheap setup for you.

Robnewf

FNG
These last years, as a guide I've used the kuiu icon pro 1800 since we always return to main camp at night. I a LSO have a 3200 and 5200 for my own overnight trips. The 1800 takes all you need for a day and I've packed boned out moose quarters in the load sling on the cf frame. Have had no real issues

Sent from my 9024O using Tapatalk

OP
W
Thanks heaps for the replies, everyone.

I'm doing a bit more research as I don't really have a great option for EDC so I'm still considering the Door Gunner, and also looking at a few other options like the Antero. No big rush yet but I'd like to have something for the peak of summer here in Australia so I can carry water, trail cams, and my camera/tripod when stalking pigs in the heat.

OP
W
I ended up finding a bloke over here in Aus selling a used (still in package) Kifaru Door Gunner for a price I couldn't pass up! Properly stoked, now!

I've been looking at heaps of options and this still looks like the best. Put a tripod down the front easily and put some gear in the pack itself while the outside pockets are still good for nalgenes. It also looks good to put a quiver down and a water bladder when walking around the archery club.

Stumbled into a Door Gunner myself and can’t really explain how awesome this little pack can be. Slim, light, and perfect layout for a smallish day pack. Dual side stretchy Nalgene pockets can hold a bottle, legs of a tripod, or the hood of a quiver. It’s tall enough to hold my 3L Camelbak antidote bladder along my torso and keep it from dropping to the bottom of the pack. Top interior and exterior pockets are great for quick access items and having the zippered and stretch pocket with bungee on the front is great for quickly needed items also. Run mine several times fully stuffed while traveling with the wife and kids and never felt I needed a belt with it. Absolutely pleased and surprised with this little day pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W
That's exactly what I'm thinking I need, mate.

It'll probably make more sense when I get it and take some pictures of me doing the sort of stuff I'm talking about. I hunt in the middle of summer here but don't stress too much about taking heaps of meat when I'm just checking trail cameras and looking for good spots to hunt the deer once the weather cools down.

I’ve got an Antero I edc from home to work and around town. This Door Gunner is quickly becoming a favorite pack when I want to be lighter and cooler against my back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W
Good to know, mate.

I was considering the Antero for EDC as well, that I could move into hunting if necessary. I don't necessarily carry heaps of stuff EDC (a laptop but I do have a dedicated laptop bag that holds a lot of stationary, etc) as I'm a school teacher.

If I wanted something bigger that could carry a bit more camera gear as a dedicated camera bag that is easy access, I'd consider a Shape Charge. I may well do that in the future, but we will see. I think the combo of Door Gunner and Exo 5500 is going to be perfect.

Still keen on the Exo 1800 for day hunts where a whole deer is getting dropped.

oldhorse

WKR
For what it's worth I love my Door Gunner for short, fast trips. I went several "summit packs " before I got this one. I'm pretty sure my search is over. I'm sure you will pleased with yours.

Tower

FNG
I considered the Door Gunner when looking for a small day pack. Ended up getting a Mystery Ranch Front instead, as I came across a great deal on it. Design is very similar to the DG but, to me, has better access with the 3-way zip. I added bungee to the face of it and a couple of MR pockets to the side MOLLE and I’ve been very happy with it.