Pack list for dall sheep

Hey fellas
I’m doing a 2nd season dall sheep hunt in Alaska 8/17-8/27
And I’m looking for a pack list what to and what not to bring .. thanx

ColeyG

WKR
Here is the basic template list I use for backpack sheep hunts. The list gets tweaked a little bit from year to year based on the specifics and logistics involved with each hunt.

The list doesn't break down the make a model of most things, but I am happy to discuss that stuff as well if there is interest.

I have this list in an excel workbook and am happy to share if anyone wants to save themselves a bit of typing in making their own version.

Kotaman

WKR
A list of “what not to bring” could get kinda long...🤭. PM me your email addy and I’ll send you one of what TO bring.

The link below is my gear list from a first week Brooks hunt this year. It was guided which as DoubleBroomed mentioned might make a difference. only thing I can think of that i'd have taken unguided is a stove. I geek out about gear too much and weather was pretty good but I'd probably bring almost the exact same stuff if going again. The only think I can think of that Id want to change is bringing merrell minimalist shoes instead of the cheap walmart croc'ish shoes for camp shoes/creek crossings..

Edit: thought of other items I'd bring if going without a guide.. a 20d or cuben 8.5x10 ish sized tarp for glassing or emergency shelter away from camp and game bags.

Last edited:

ColeyG

WKR
The link below is my gear list from a first week Brooks hunt this year. I geek out about gear too much and weather was pretty good but I'd probably bring almost the exact same stuff if going again. I'd probably bring merrell minimalist shoes instead of the cheap walmart croc'ish shoes for camp shoes/creek crossings is about all I can think of.

That is a next level list right there! Very cool. It's nice to be able to see the real-world weight of what is going into your pack, although sometimes I think it is better not to know, just grind it out.

That is a next level list right there! Very cool. It's nice to be able to see the real-world weight of what is going into your pack, although sometimes I think it is better not to know, just grind it out.

It's a really helpful tool for a free site. I have one list on there that is a master gear list of most of the gear I own and you can pull from the master to create trip specific lists or just click 0 or 1 in the quantity to have it add up the weight.

OP
2brassballs
Wow
Thanks guys
It’s a guided hunt by a comercial outfitter
I will look this over and definitely make notes

OP
2brassballs
Haha all good
Alaska Outfitters Unlimited
My buddy hunted with them this year
Killed a 39” sheep a great mountain grizzly and great Caribou

Since you're going to become obsessed with weight, here is my free advice:
1) Shave weight on what you will wear and carry every day. This includes boots, clothing, optics, pack, and firearm. Will be a constant compromise but never, ever sacrifice weight if there is a material increase in risk to your body.
2) Then focus on what you'd take with you if you spike out. This includes sleeping bag, pad, and potentially stove/fuel.

At some point the weight will "be what it is". Gets overly expensive to shave weight beyond what I listed above.

PS: If you bring Bonds powder, bring the "gold" bottle. One individual in camp this year inadvertently used the "blue" bottle. Nothing like hearing someone scream "my b@ll$" are on fire.

I’d just listen to Steve and bring a good attitude! At least you’re getting the advice straight from the horses mouth. Have fun!

2Brass I sent you a PM with my contact info. I have a great list for you that I’d like my clients to show up with. I also sent you a list of all items that will be with me as well. Give you an idea what will be available extra. Would like to chat with you as well. Look forward to talking.