Pack list - VOLUME issue now

fwafwow

WKR
OK - total rookie who has clearly had more time than common sense, but I think I've got my list to where I want it (https://lighterpack.com/r/bm11sw) from a weight perspective, but balanced with some practical issues (I increased weight by changing some items in water, and adding a few things - long story). Now my challenge is probably going to be *volume*.

Here are some pictures of my gear (ignore the full wet wipes pack, bino and rangefinder cases) and Metcalf pack *without food*. I *think* I can shoehorn 4 days of my food list into the remaining space (the food is the last thing I will be buying - doing taste testing now), especially if I switch back to add the regular Metcalf lid (and resulting weight). But we are currently debating the 1/2 of food approach (our hunt is 9 days, with the thought being we head back to the truck at halfway to get more, as we would either have killed, or failed - but what if we are into lots of elk at the halfway point?).

Not really a question, but has anyone else been so focused on *weight* that they didn't anticipate the space that all of this takes up?

Attachments

• 20190719_221928 (4).jpg
    20190719_221928 (4).jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 20190719_225044.jpg
    20190719_225044.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 20190719_225111.jpg
    20190719_225111.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 20190719_225120.jpg
    20190719_225120.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 221

TravisIN

WKR
we have a lot of the same(similar)crap. I get 7 days no issues. I use my MR lid that came with my metcalf. In one side it holds my rain jacket(Sitka flash pullover), sitka core heavy weight hoody, FL tag cuff beanie, Sitka merino gloves and Sitka mountain gloves. It’s tight but only bc of the hoody. I should say full not tight bc it’s not like it’s a struggle to zip it with those items. The other side hold my water kit (which I’m WAY overkill on by most standards) first aid kit, toiletries kit, BD icon headlamp (not small), battery pack, and Sitka neck gaiter. That all fits no issues. Then in the pack, starting at the bottom I have my WM Terralite, kylmit v luxe, 4x8 tyvek, and s2s aero deluxe pillow all in a med 5 string kifaru compression bag. Tucked between that and my back fram side of the bag is my kill kit in a med UL kifaru pullout which consist of BO elk game bag kit, two contractor bags, plastic ground sheet, and outdoor edge razor pro with 6 blades and a small outdoor edge saw. Next comes my food in a kifaru mega UL pullout (I can give food details if you want later). With my puffy(kelvin lite) base layer (core heavyweight bottoms) extra socks and my primus eta lite stove stuffed in there somewhere. Then in another med kifaru UL pullout I have my mountainsmith mountain shelter with msr needle steaks on top. With all that my snow collar is completely tucked in. And everything cinched down pretty tight. I have two pockets on my belt. One for a ziplock of dude wipes and my pack rain fly. The other for my back up release and a pair of OR aerator gloves. If I bring a Tripod I put that (vortex summit ss) and my thermarest z seat under the lid or in the side pocket. Bugle tube is over my shoulder. Trekking poles in side pocket or hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I'm not a rope packer.
You need to destruct some of your packaging.
Pills in zip locks, just the sawyer dont need all that flush stuff with you. Etc etc.
Put your extra food in a game bag tie it in and leave it some where.
But usually on day 5 in ready forna truck break.

Most folks will overpack for a trip. It's natural and you don't know what you don't know. It starts with training. I believe you should train with what you plan to use in the field, this helps you learn how to pack your stuff and how it will ride. A sack of sand or a dumbbell will ride much differently and take up space completely different from a 7-10 day packing list.

If you are going in with a buddy, try looking at what can be split between you as "team gear". That might help lighten the load.

Ohh I didn't even see the list i was just trying to look at the pic lol.
So idk you personally and maybe this is just stuff you can live without. But ditch.
Towel, soap, hand, sanitizer, extra orange hat, note book/pen.
You also have 2 dehydrated meals a day, not sure where your going but that's an awful lot more water then I'd wanna use.
I think the best thing for you to do is cram all this in your pack and go use it some where for a night.
It doesn't take long to realize when your tired,dirty,sore that theres alot of things you'll never mess with.
I'd get a lid with a pocket as well.
That's where I keep my sawyer, leuko tape etc.
That way I can lean it against a tree and get to the things I need often.

48 wipes seems like a lot. I pull out exactly what I need and put them in a ziplock. Leaves can handle the rest if you run low. Just use the wipe last...

Brendan

WKR
Get rid of the crocs... You're not hanging out having a siesta around camp, you're out hunting...

Get rid of the mid layer top. Run a base, puffy, rain shell.

I personally don't run a sawyer and extra bladder, Steripen is smaller because I'm Already bringing a Nalgene.

Wet wipes should be dried out, put in a ziploc, no more than 2 per day.

Extra socks optional

Two pairs of gloves?

Ditch the hand sanitizer (unless you need it for contacts?)

Pack liner should double as bag for hanging food or trash bag from your kill kit

Ditch paper maps and use Gaia / OnX and Earthmate, especially if there's two of you so you have a backup.

Don't need your "Mini boo boo" kit with leukotape and wet wipes.

Soap optional, you have wet wipes. (or, contacts again?)

Ditch the sun screen, and neck gaiter, use a buff and your hat to stay out of the sun. Trade ball cap for a boonie hat for more sun protection

Last edited:
Put all your clothes and sleeping bag into one of the zipper top compression bags where you squeeze all the air out. It will save you tons of space, and also some weight by ditching the stuff sacks. If you get wet the important stuff stays dry! Plus nice and compact package of your heavier items.

I can get a full week with a 3000ci pack, but I put my food in a dry bag and strap it to the top.

You also have a few things that I never take and you don't need.

I use a bag that is too big. Initially I would over pack, and pay the weight penalty. Now, I pack appropriately, and have the flexibility to move things to make them easier to access, or protect them, or balance weight, etc.

A lot of good advice listed above. Take it for a test drive how you have it. Spend a night, figure out what you want quickly (like toilet paper) and what you can stuff in the bottom of the pack for "just in case".

Lawnboi

WKR
Bring all the food, especially if you plan on walking a ways. You will be pissed when your in elk and have to leave for food. A break can be nice yea but your going to lose a day hunting possibly if you don’t take it all. Your head has to be in it, you only have 9 days, of which you put considerable time to plan into, now you want to kill a day walking out and in for food?

Your setup pretty well. This is part of the reason people recommend a big pack. Your having a hard time fitting your gear in, now wait till you have meat on the ground, your gear is soaked, and the sun is setting.

Personally I can fit 10 days in the same timeframe in 5000 cubic inches, and that’s stuffed, with no luxury’s like crocs. I prefer more room for when meat hits the ground.

Get out and use your gear at home. Learning your gear, and making rookie backpacker mistakes are not what you want to do on a 9 day hunting trip. Learn your stuff so you can focus on hunting.

Here’s something I do that might be helpful cuz there’s lots of good advice above but you aren’t gonna get it right first time out:
As soon as you get home from the trip and while it’s fresh in your mind, write in your notebook the gear issues that standout in your mind. I alway trust “just got home” me from last year more than anything anyone tells me. I know what I need with me to feel comfortable which in turn allows me to focus on hunting and not tinkering.
One guy above said to ditch your mid layer which I strongly disagree with. I live most of the time in my mid layer. I gone base, puffy shell before and that puffy will roast you out when a mid is what you need.
But yeah you need to make some of that stuff either smaller or left behind. No pill bottles or full bottles of soap. Think small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk