Pack meat shelf

AKSandman

FNG
You would have to find someone who owns one and try theirs. Or, go try on the Kelty, alps or camp trails frame and if it fits you, then you will be good since the Barney’s is basically (in practically every way) a beefed up copy of those freighter frames

OP
R

Red33

FNG
If it's strictly for meat hauling, you could pick up a secondhand premier brand frame (Kifaru, Exo, MR, etc) for $200-300 and use a cargo net/panel (i.e., no bag) to secure the load.
This sounds like the best idea yet! Where would I find a "cargo net/panel" for a particular pack? And, do these usually have side panels as well to keep the quarter/ meat bag from slipping from side to side? One of the reasons I kept using my old USMC pack all of these years was because I could fit a quarter in the bag, it stayed right next to the frame, and using the bag it didn't bleed all over my ass.

This sounds like the best idea yet! Where would I find a "cargo net/panel" for a particular pack? And, do these usually have side panels as well to keep the quarter/ meat bag from slipping from side to side? One of the reasons I kept using my old USMC pack all of these years was because I could fit a quarter in the bag, it stayed right next to the frame, and using the bag it didn't bleed all over my ass.
Of those I think the Kifaru is the best and most versatile design. I made my own with some 1" webbing and a handful of buckles. There are enough cinch points to keep a quarter or meat bag (or whole deer) secured tight to the frame. You could put the meat inside an oversized dry sack if you wanted to contain the blood.
20211107_095706.jpg