Pack meat shelf

Red33

FNG
Now that I'm in my mid/late 50s, I'm mostly hunting out of camp, truck, or sxs rather than packing in, in North Idaho. I hunt solo and I have a Kuiu Venture 2300 and two different Badlands day packs that I usually use to carry gear for boning/ skinning and a game bag or two for the first pack back to the truck, where I get my heavy hauler for the larger quarters and rest of the trips back and forth. I've been using my old ALICE pack from my days in the Marines (yeah, waay back in the 80s and 90s) to stick a quarter in, but it has finally gone chi-chis arriba. What do you all recommend for a reasonably priced ($300 or less) meat hauler? I'd like to get a kuiu complete system, but I think the war department would divorce me if I spent $450 on a pack when I just picked up the Venture, and I really don't want the weight of a frame pack everyday up and down the mountains of the Idaho jungle. Ideas?

My buddy got a meat hauling frame for doing exactly what you’re talking about from alps. He’s packed quarters with it a couple times and seems to like it and it was very affordable. I’ve seen them pop up on camofire a couple times, you might give them a call and see if they still have them in stock.

OP
R

Red33

FNG
My buddy got a meat hauling frame for doing exactly what you’re talking about from alps. He’s packed quarters with it a couple times and seems to like it and it was very affordable. I’ve seen them pop up on camofire a couple times, you might give them a call and see if they still have them in stock.
Maybe I'll try them out again. I had one from Alps a few years ago that I used for 1 load and hated it. I could not get the fit right, the quarter slid all over the place, and I had hot spots from the metal frame hitting my back. Haven't used it since. Any brands other than Alps you'd recommend?

Superdoo

WKR
Your other option is selling your daypacks and buying an SG 2800 that will weigh 1 lb more than your Kuiu...

Maybe I'll try them out again. I had one from Alps a few years ago that I used for 1 load and hated it. I could not get the fit right, the quarter slid all over the place, and I had hot spots from the metal frame hitting my back. Haven't used it since. Any brands other than Alps you'd recommend?
I had a mystery ranch cabinet that I liked. It worked as a good daypack too. I traded it on here and see them used from time to time. Not strictly a hauling frame though but I did pack a whole quartered blacktail in it for a couple miles once.

If it's strictly for meat hauling, you could pick up a secondhand premier brand frame (Kifaru, Exo, MR, etc) for $200-300 and use a cargo net/panel (i.e., no bag) to secure the load.

LostArra

WKR
This year we hauled my elk out with a Kelty Cache Hauler and my Exo/meat shelf.
They both worked fine but the Kelty is so much simpler to attach the quarter and go.
(If you are hauling meat BRING TREKKING POLES. This year we packed out in melting snow/mud which can be an accident at every turn)

OP
R

Red33

FNG
I'll go and try a Kelty at Sportsmans. I'd like to try others, but there are very few places in N Idaho that have a variety of packs. Thanks for the suggestions!

OP
R

Red33

FNG
This year we hauled my elk out with a Kelty Cache Hauler and my Exo/meat shelf.
They both worked fine but the Kelty is so much simpler to attach the quarter and go.
(If you are hauling meat BRING TREKKING POLES. This year we packed out in melting snow/mud which can be an accident at every turn)
Yep- I use trekking poles. Thanks.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I like my Eberlestock F1 tall. I can configure it however I want or need it to be.
Get the tall so that the load lifters work.

OP
R

Red33

FNG
@Red33

You won’t find a better external frame for hauling meat than this:

It is the Alaskan big game hearse! Seriously, more critters have hitched a ride out of the backcountry on this thing than you could count. It’s basically the Kelly cash hauler with a much improved suspension system and padding.
Any idea where I would find one in Idaho to try before I drop a bunch of cash? I've learned the hard way that if they don't fit my body well, I won't use it.