Pack Mules or Pack Goats?

Huntnnw

WKR
well mule deer, mt goats and elk can all transmit MOVI to sheep. The odds that someones packgoat transmits MOVI to a wild bighorn sheep is minuscule at best. It would mean that your goat would have to have MOVI. Then that goat would somehow leave you and find a bighorn sheep and touch nose to nose. Most pack guys are doing there part with their goats and testing their herds.

Lot of mis information in this thread reading all of it lol

Your other option is llamas, guys packed some into our area this year. They bout caused a huge wreck with our pack string in a really rocky spot not the guys fault or ours just horses and mules don't seem to like llamas much. One thing they did tell us was that the guy that rented the llamas to them said you do not pack antlers on them. I'm wondering how the goats would do with an elk. How many goats would that take to pack out one elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve done it with 3 goats and no camp, I’ve done it with 4 goats and camp. You sound like you don’t know much about goats in the several posts you have made. Keep it to what you know is usually a good thing, spreading bad information is not so good! All my goats are 200~230 lbs. they all carry at least 60lbs when conditioned and/or 3 years of age. Been raising pack goats for 11 years. Never had a train wreck or hurt by goats!!! That was my big deal getting pack stock! And yes I have a horse in the pasture that I will never use. My buddy has 4 horses, there just not for me, as long as I’m able to walk I’ll have Pack Goats.
Matt

I’ve done it with 3 goats and no camp, I’ve done it with 4 goats and camp. You sound like you don’t know much about goats in the several posts you have made. Keep it to what you know is usually a good thing, spreading bad information is not so good! All my goats are 200~230 lbs. they all carry at least 60lbs when conditioned and/or 3 years of age. Been raising pack goats for 11 years. Never had a train wreck or hurt by goats!!! That was my big deal getting pack stock! And yes I have a horse in the pasture that I will never use. My buddy has 4 horses, there just not for me, as long as I’m able to walk I’ll have Pack Goats.
Matt
I can vouch for Matt's goats being an awesome tool and quite handy. The main source of damage they can cause is if you leave anything on the ground around them (like a bow). But when it comes time to haul out two camps, two deer, and the rest of our gear 10 miles out I was sure thankful to have them.
Goats deer.jpg