Pack on a budget

Scrutt24

FNG
I know you’re all probably tired of answering this question but searching amazon and google and other hunting sites for reviews on packs is kinda like drinking water from a fire hydrant. Tons of reviews, one site says one is trash while another gives it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I’m goi g on my first backcountry hunt this fall and am looking for a pack in the $200-$300 range. I know there are tons out here but from reviews, I have ruled out the Alpz commander. I’m going to need size and comfort.... with comfort with a load being my main focus. Any help is great and I’m open to all suggestions. By the end of it whatever packs has best reviews and the most “cheers” if you will, will be my choice. Thanks in advance and again sorry for the repetitive post.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pickup a used frame on here from a good brand like kifaru or stone glacier and then using a dry bag would be a good option. My recent change from a badlands to a kifaru is night and day, I can comfortably pack in much further than I could with my old pack.

A mystery ranch might be another option, but I think investing in a quality frame and making it work this season and then getting a good bag the next year is a better route.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
If you can find a cabelas Alaskan extreme frame then use whatever bag this will be pretty cost effective it’s heavier but a really comfortable frame

Bcaulder

Lil-Rokslider
Go look at Black Ovis dot com they have 25% off MR bags. I have the Sawtooth 45 and it’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
A member had an older arcteryx Bora 95 in the classifieds here for around $100. Great pack for someone on a budget and will be much better than an alps. 95 liter and will handle a good sized load well.

Rodéo

WKR
I was in your shoes a few seasons ago. Picked up a cheap pack off amazon (about $150 I think) and after one trip I knew how important a good pack was. Maybe it's just me that can't get by without a good pack but to me a good pack is as important as a good pair of boots and glass. If your back hurts and you can't carry a relatively heavy load with comfort, you're not going to be hunting at your best (or even close to it when it came to me).

Not to mention quality in design and construction designed for hunting when you go with a bag and frame from the reputable hunting pack companies (stone glacier, kifaru, mystery ranch, etc). Can't go wrong with a pack from those companies over a cheap bag from amazon. Trust me, I tried.

I bought an sg avail and have used that for about about 2 seasons. Great pack, excellent quality, and versatility. I later added the xcurve frame and dry bag and use the avail attached to the xcurve for big game hunts, pack in camo/pack out meat with the dry bag. Buy this combo or just the avail if it fits your needs used on here to save a few bucks.

Felix40

WKR
Theres a kifaru bikini frame on here for $225 now. Add a highcamp bag to it for about $140 and you wouldnt be too far above your budget for a very good setup.

The ILBE military type frames are pretty dang good too. They can be bought for around $130 I think. One of my buddies used one up until last year and didnt really have any complaints.

*zap*

WKR
ILBE is a 4# heavier Bora 95. heavier fabric and lots of molle webbing. Basically the same pack but heavier.

aion2come

WKR
REI XT 85. $150 and down. You'll have to do some looking. Slumberjack Rail Hauler. $175 new. Used frames (Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside) with dry bag. Lots of very good options for you.

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
c94badb7fc8893d80e5c51fab9ee9b0a.jpg

Get the metcalf you won’t be sorry

hoff1ck

WKR
The best frame you can afford. I've had an outdoorsmans and two MR packs now, finally settled on a Kifaru recently due to their versatility. Mystery Ranch makes a pretty good pack so you wouldn't be wrong there. If a pack is something you use year and year again, I'd probably look for a Kifaru frame and whatever bag/dry bag you could afford after that. With that system your options to upgrade and tailor the pack system to your needs would be about endless.

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Guys all bash Kuiu on here but I love mine, On facebook there is a Kuiu sale and trade page. Sometimes you can find really good deals on there as well, other times the deals aren't so great but its worth a look.

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
I patiently shopped the forums for about a year before I found my kuiu pack several years ago. Think I paid around $325-350.
Always comfortable. I use it for backpacking and always carry it elk hunting. Have packed several elk with it (once and only once: half an elk in one trip).
I also would have considered a pack like the Arcteryx Bora, but found the Kuiu first. Very happy with it.

OP
S

Scrutt24

FNG
Just a side note, MR and Eberlestock are at the top of my list, if they're reliable/comfortable due to discounts I can get on those particular packs through various dealers. Just didn't know much about them. I've hunted public land whitetails in Arkansas and packed them out and have used a smaller Tenzing pack that I bought used and loved in comparison to other cheaper packs I tried previously. Just seemed like load disposition and frame were much easier on pack out.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I also recommend a bora pack. Way underrated.
A member had an older arcteryx Bora 95 in the classifieds here for around $100. Great pack for someone on a budget and will be much better than an alps. 95 liter and will handle a good sized load well.

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
Used my metcalf 14 days straight in central Idaho last yr and loved it . Using it for 14 days to pack in bivy style this yr in the San cristo mountains

Felix40

WKR
If this is accurate then that would be an excellent starter pack. I would cut a bunch of that extra stuff off the ILBE anyway. I doubt you could do better for double the cost.
ILBE is a 4# heavier Bora 95. heavier fabric and lots of molle webbing. Basically the same pack but heavier.