Pack on a budget

So why does everyone bash Kuiu’s backpacks? I just got an Icon Pro 7200, and I really like it. I’m just curious. Is it something in particular across the board with their packs that is just no good?

md126

WKR
So why does everyone bash Kuiu’s backpacks? I just got an Icon Pro 7200, and I really like it. I’m just curious. Is it something in particular across the board with their packs that is just no good?

I think its a fit/comfort thing, as they don’t seem very adjustable.

If it fits you people like love it, if it doesn’t they hate it. Not much in the middle it seems

I think its a fit/comfort thing, as they don’t seem very adjustable.

If it fits you people like love it, if it doesn’t they hate it. Not much in the middle it seems

Well that wouldn’t make sense. The shoulder pads go up and down. The belt and other adjustments are similar to other brands.

I personally think the former owner rubbed people the wrong way, they didn’t like the marketing, and some ideas were met with a sort of stimulus antibody response. Like, carbon fiber frame?! You can’t do that! Except it’s a great material used in a number of applications requiring strength to weight performance. Other top brands are also now using CF in their frames (Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier). They’re nice packs, really nice for the price point, but like boots may not fit every body out there.

md126

WKR
Pack fit and comfort have more to do than just the shoulder straps and waist belt range.

I do agree though that KUIU had (and probably still has) a customer service and image problem and that doesn’t help

For your budget, I would get a used Kuiu, maybe 3200 Icon or larger Ultra with frame/suspension. The Kuiu Facebook buy/sell group has these packs all the time for around $300. Kuiu takes alot of heat but I have been very happy with my pack for the money I spent.

Their customer service has been pretty good as far as I can tell. I mean, yeah, everybody’s personal preference and how packs fit your body is paramount. I don’t think Kuiu is great for non-athletic body types. I got the 7200 pack because I’d rather have the large storage capacity if I need it. I can cinch it all down pretty small if I’m not using it, and it only weighs a few ounces more than a 3200.

Pack fit and comfort have more to do than just the shoulder straps and waist belt range.

Well sure. But what is lacking on the Kuiu compared to others? All the frame suspension designs out there are the same for the most part.

Saw some great deals at Sierra trading Post on some mystery ranch packs right around 125.00 might be worth looking into.

Well sure. But what is lacking on the Kuiu compared to others? All the frame suspension designs out there are the same for the most part.

No, its not much different in theory. Where it is different is the stiffness of the frame I understand that Kuiu may have had some durability problems in the past with their early frames. I don't know that but suspect it from what I have read on forums. I also suspect the failures were no more common then other makers experienced. But, it was Kuiu and that made it easy to bash them. Jason seemed to rub a lot of people wrong. Most successful, self driven men do. So, that was no surprise either.

Also suspect that some of the customer service complaints from the past was due to a younger company getting started. Meaning cash flow was an issue at times. Since they grew so fast. And, getting merchandise from over seas makers reliably was a problem. As all the big clothing companies seem to have had that issue with in stock merchandise. But, you only hear it about Kuiu for the reasons mentioned above.

That was kind of long winded. But, if everyone that suggests to go somewhere besides Kuiu, actually had first hand experience of why they are suggesting that, Kuiu would have went out of business instead of expand the way they did. That is something to consider with all the advice so any freely give about Kuiu.

With that said, the Kuiu frame has no equal in strength. IT is way stiffer then any competitor. Which means it will carry heavy weight just fine if you can fit it right. Fitting packs don't slide around on 99.9% of the people wearing them. regardless of who is wearing it and who made it. It is a fallacy that gets stated instead of improper fit. Some designs and materials will feel better to others. No doubt. But, you buy that Kuiu pack with confidence it will do the work if you can.

I'm a Kifaru guy too Meaning it is my favorite brand Who happens to have owned/own a Kuiu system. So, this ain't no fan boy response. Its just blatantly honest dialogue.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple dana designed original bozeman packs. I would only part with one of the 2. One is a terraplane i think and the other a longbed. Both are big solid well designed packs. Thats what I would recommend on a budget whether you buy mine or not.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
No, its not much different in theory. Where it is different is the stiffness of the frame I understand that Kuiu may have had some durability problems in the past with their early frames. I don't know that but suspect it from what I have read on forums. I also suspect the failures were no more common then other makers experienced. But, it was Kuiu and that made it easy to bash them. Jason seemed to rub a lot of people wrong. Most successful, self driven men do. So, that was no surprise either.

Also suspect that some of the customer service complaints from the past was due to a younger company getting started. Meaning cash flow was an issue at times. Since they grew so fast. And, getting merchandise from over seas makers reliably was a problem. As all the big clothing companies seem to have had that issue with in stock merchandise. But, you only hear it about Kuiu for the reasons mentioned above.

That was kind of long winded. But, if everyone that suggests to go somewhere besides Kuiu, actually had first hand experience of why they are suggesting that, Kuiu would have went out of business instead of expand the way they did. That is something to consider with all the advice so any freely give about Kuiu.

With that said, the Kuiu frame has no equal in strength. IT is way stiffer then any competitor. Which means it will carry heavy weight just fine if you can fit it right. Fitting packs don't slide around on 99.9% of the people wearing them. regardless of who is wearing it and who made it. It is a fallacy that gets stated instead of improper fit. Some designs and materials will feel better to others. No doubt. But, you buy that Kuiu pack with confidence it will do the work if you can.

I'm a Kifaru guy too Meaning it is my favorite brand Who happens to have owned/own a Kuiu system. So, this ain't no fan boy response. Its just blatantly honest dialogue.
Hey man, there is no room for reason and honesty on the internet.
Just kidding, good post!

gpatterson

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Badlands Sacrifice, the older version. I love the pack, it super light and has enough strength to get out 40-50 pounds on first load. I would definitely have a bigger meat hauler for elk if I were hunting that. I had two hind quarters and a front shoulder with the head on it and it rode well. I love the warranty that’s why I stick with Badlands and I don’t hunt out West very often.

Wrongside

WKR
A member had an older arcteryx Bora 95 in the classifieds here for around $100. Great pack for someone on a budget and will be much better than an alps. 95 liter and will handle a good sized load well.
ILBE is a 4# heavier Bora 95. heavier fabric and lots of molle webbing. Basically the same pack but heavier.
The old Bora 80/95s were great packs. And still are, if a guy can find one in good condition. The ILBE is similar in appearance, but had some major design concessions made to the frame and suspension. I've owned and used both and I'd far, far rather have the civvy version. It's still a solid choice for a guy on a budget.

Dan-o

FNG
I just posted a used, but like new, Kifaru setup (Bag, Lid, Frame, Belt, grabit) for cheap... Check the classifieds.

kpbrown31

FNG
Following. Has anyone used any of the military molle rucksack packs that have the frame on them? Seems like I've heard people mention them on here before. Judging by the looks I don't think they would be top notch by any means, but may get you by on a budget?

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve used several Eberlestock packs. The X1 is a great day pack. The J34 is a good starter do everything pack. Recently I bought the F1 Mainframe, a dry bag, and two Batwing pouches. I really like the versatility or the Mainframe. I pack camp in my dry bag, and load the Batwing pouches with my hunting gear. When I get to camp I just unload the dry bag and start hunting. The Eberlestock products are not talked about here mostly because they are not considered ultralight. Their products are slightly heavier, but are very durable and comfortable.

I have to disagree on comfort, I had a few eberlestock packs years ago and they were horrible with a load, arms would go numb carrying 100% of the weight. They are heavy and very well built but they are not comfortable with a load. Try a Kifaru, Exo or SG all with 80lbs in them vs the Eberlestock and you’ll understand. So it isn’t because they aren’t ultralight that they do t get discussed, it’s because many have used them and moved on.

Last edited:

MtGomer

WKR
I’d get a used Kuiu. I sold my Icon pro for the price point you’re looking for.
I like my SG more than Kuiu’s backpacks, but I’d put the Kuiu several notches above MR for comfort.

That used arcteryx sounds like a great value too.

Tcsmith09

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking for this same thing, I decided to go ahead and do the buy and cry method so I had a good one that will last