Pack Planning for 2021 for Colorado Elk Archery Solo Trip, 5 days

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
I've decided I want to try my hand at Elk archery in an OTC Colorado unit September next year. I fully expect to come up empty handed but I think the experience itself will be entirely worth it regardless. I'm never hunted out West before, but I've backpacked quite a few times there but never in the mountains outside of the summer months. I'm planning for it to be a solo trip for flexibility and as I don't have anyone seriously willing to give it a go. My plan is for setting out from my truck keeping my camp on my back, following the elk, for 5 days. Basecamp in the mountains may be set up, but it depends on what the elk are doing. I may consider coming back to the car and restocking at that point. I'm in good shape, but I also understand it'll be a tough pack out, so I'm not planning to go too far in. There's not enough MtnsOps in the world to get me to try a 10+ mile round trip packout multiple times.

Here's my gear list so far:

I don't have everything weighed yet but so far it's a base weight of 23.04 pounds counting my bino harness with everything in it, but not my bow, food, or water. I didn't include my baselayer top, pants, or boots either. I also don't have everything in this list yet, but I figure with a year of planning and careful purchasing I should be ready to go. Any help in shaking down my list would be greatly appreciated.

Gerbdog

WKR
I may have missed it somewhere but I see your hat in the clothing section is a beanie, fantastic for cold mornings or cold weather but more often than not I'm just wearing a basic, well-ventilated baseball cap. Especially during archery season. Gets too darn hot during the day for me to wear a beanie and I still need something to block the sun on my eyes and hide my eyes from the animals.

Another lifesaver... for me anyway (maybe an issue with being a hairy ape), is some kind of goldbond or zinc cream for the areas that don't see the sunshine... or get aired out a whole lot.... monkey butt sucks. Monkey butt sucks a whole lot more when your expecting your ass to keep moving day after day with monkey butt. Either of those two mentioned sticks / creams let me pack in, hike/hunt all day, and then pack out and never get the monkey butt. It also applies to anywhere you are having friction+sweat issues on the body.

OP
N

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Chapstick and backup chapstick and backup backup chapstick

Good call. I always keep chapstick in my pocket, so it slipped my mind to list it. A backup one would be good though considering if I run out on the one I have with me, I’ve been known to drop by a store and buy one for the rest of the day.

I may have missed it somewhere but I see your hat in the clothing section is a beanie, fantastic for cold mornings or cold weather but more often than not I'm just wearing a basic, well-ventilated baseball cap. Especially during archery season. Gets too darn hot during the day for me to wear a beanie and I still need something to block the sun on my eyes and hide my eyes from the animals.

Another lifesaver... for me anyway (maybe an issue with being a hairy ape), is some kind of goldbond or zinc cream for the areas that don't see the sunshine... or get aired out a whole lot.... monkey butt sucks. Monkey butt sucks a whole lot more when your expecting your ass to keep moving day after day with monkey butt. Either of those two mentioned sticks / creams let me pack in, hike/hunt all day, and then pack out and never get the monkey butt. It also applies to anywhere you are having friction+sweat issues on the body.

Good catch. I was planning on wearing a Sitka Ascent hat from the get go, but I should list it also so I don’t forget.

As for monkey butt, a terrible experience I had with it while backpacking through Idaho for a week caused me to switch to a bidet system. A single wet wipe to handle the bulk, then the bidet attached to a bottle to clean the rest and hand sanitizer to clean my hand. It’s a much better system for me and plus I don’t have to carry wads of dirty TP with me after. Still a small bottle of cream might be a good idea.

We've just started planning our trip for next year, looking at doing the OTC archery as well. So much information to sift through

Looks like you have a great start. The backpacking experience helps, no doubt.

I’m not sure you could break down an elk with a Mora without multiple sharpenings.

On the hat topic, I really liked my Eddie Bauer beanie. It kept my face and neck from ever getting sunburn but also breathes really well and could be stuffed in a pocket on my pack if not in use.

Last edited:

bootstrap

Lil-Rokslider
A friend and I are planning a trip to Colorado next year as well. He grew up hunting there but this will be my first time hunting anywhere other than the south.

Reading over your list I noticed a paper map might I suggest vacuum sealing even if it is a water proof map just an added layer of protection.

Packing an elk out solo on your first western hunt in september will be a challenge.
Make sure you dont go too far from the truck...like you said.
But you mentioned following the elk with camp on your pack...that can lead very far away from your truck.

And if you are several miles back...you need to be hyper aware of how to care for the meat.
Breaking down a bull and getting the meat boned and cooled will take time...
Its going to be 4 trips out at minimum that is loaded very heavy...that is quite a bit of time.
Just be very aware of this and make sure you give the animal the respect it deserves and retain all its meat.

I might suggest just car camping instead for your first western hunt.
This will limit your radius...also much lighter pack during the day. Lots of elk killed within a mile of the road in Colorado.

Monkey-butt powder makes a great Christmas Gift!

Packing an elk out solo on your first western hunt in september will be a challenge.
Make sure you dont go too far from the truck...like you said.
But you mentioned following the elk with camp on your pack...that can lead very far away from your truck.

And if you are several miles back...you need to be hyper aware of how to care for the meat.
Breaking down a bull and getting the meat boned and cooled will take time...
Its going to be 4 trips out at minimum that is loaded very heavy...that is quite a bit of time.
Just be very aware of this and make sure you give the animal the respect it deserves and retain all its meat.

I might suggest just car camping instead for your first western hunt.
This will limit your radius...also much lighter pack during the day. Lots of elk killed within a mile of the road in Colorado.
I believe we are planning to truck camp ourselves, provide more comfort and more mobility for our first attempt

Might want a notebook to jot down the names of the new friends you meet!

Jk hope you have a good hunt

MLandau27

FNG
I love the lighterpack system, thank you for sharing, definitely going to take advantage of that!

ChrisAU

WKR
Chapstick and backup chapstick and backup backup chapstick

I'll double down on this...I have taken this the last couple years. Before, my nose would bleed for a month after getting home from CO from the dry air.

CJF

WKR
Don't forget something to backwash your Sawyer Squeeze. I inevitably end up getting some wallow water that clogs it and them I'm using aquatabs the rest of the time when if forget the syringe or smartwater bottle.

I would add walking sticks/treking poles and duct tape or gorilla tape. You can wrap the tape on the treking poles and not even know its there. Those poles will be your best friend when packing out a heavy load.