Pack raft

Gobbler36

WKR
Alright so maybe in the market for a good quality pack raft, obviously ultralight is a requirement, quality and being able to carry 2 dudes gear and animal maybe. Not knowledgeable on packraft so don’t know if that kinda weight is feasible?

jhm2023

WKR
When you put the word pack and raft together, then 2 dudes means 2 rafts. If you really want a raft that can carry 2 people, plus gear, plus dead things, then it really isn't goingnl to be packable. At least not in the sense that I would consider it packable. An Alpacka and a carbon fiber Kayak paddle is the way. If you want to do the same thing on the cheap and have time on your hands, check out diypackraft.com. there is also the PR49 from pristine ventures if thats more the style you are wanting, regardless 2 dudes still equals 2 rafts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Screw sharing a raft with another guy. Every person should have their own. Also a PR49 is already tight with 2 guys, add gear and meat...no way. If you want to have 2 guys and gear plus meat, you need a pretty big raft which likely wont be packable.

I agree have two boats. Pack rafts can be difficult to maneuver if it's windy I couldn't imagine how bad it would be with a longer boat.

Plus if you go by yourself you are going to want a one person one. I have a friend who did the diy route it works good if you have the time go that route but for me I will just buy another alpacaraft when I need a new one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I played around in Alpacka's largest raft last year. It was uncomfortably tight with two guys. Nevermind packs, gear or an animal. I found it just a touch too large to paddle solo. Decided I'll go for a PR49 if I'm doing a fly-in or a Alpacka Ranger if I'm hiking in.

Per person I figured 10-12 pounds for a raft, plus the weight of a paddle, lifejacket and possibly some type of waders, pushing 18-20 pounds additional weight.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I started a thread a while back. Lots of convo about the Alpacka Ranger and the PR49
Might save you some research time

I’ll Pack an Alpacka Packraft ***Review Added 10/4/20***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilbur007

FNG
I have a alpacka Oryx,really like this thing,it's a canoe style packraft,can hold 800 lbs,it weight 11 lbs,I hate the sitting position in a standard packraft that's why I bought the Oryx.View attachment 290049

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk
Bonjour M. Reaper. Do you paddle the Oryx with a kayak paddle? Could you get by with a canoe paddle?

Your expectations are not realistic. I have an Alpacka Yukon Yak & a PR49HD and together they won't do what you want em to.

Mt Al

WKR
I've built three diypackraft.com packrafts. One is the older version of the two person model, the Voyageur. Listen to your bretheren! Way too small for a person and a pack and a critter. I'd load myself, my pack and a quartered deer only in the two person Voyageur. Pay heed to a documented Voyageur failure (on the diypackraft website) with two people and a blacktail in Alaska - very much attributed to the build quality, over inflation and over loaded, plus no PFD on one passenger.

I love the weight, build and size of Reaper's Alpacka Oryx for one person and a critter if you're really backpacking. I like the ones I built, but will buy the Oryx if I get enough coinage. If I were in AK and long distance floats and moose were on the menu, go to Pristine Ventures website and look at the PR49 and Cork.

Check out AKDoc's threads on this site about his adventures in a PR Cork.
My 2 cents.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Thanks guys it’s a tough decision to do two boats I guess cause 1 the expense and 2 the additional weight me and my hunting partner were looking to go in on one for a Alaska moose trip in 2023

Thanks guys it’s a tough decision to do two boats I guess cause 1 the expense and 2 the additional weight me and my hunting partner were looking to go in on one for a Alaska moose trip in 2023
So why not do a designated fly-in, float-out trip. When you drift into an area with sign, stay put and hunt it. Move on down river as needed. Just make sure your weapon is accessible in case you happen to drift past one.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My new alpacka should be here in a week or so. I’m looking forward to using it this year for a caribou hunt.

I wanted something a bit smaller and more pack able than my pr49.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
My new alpacka should be here in a week or so. I’m looking forward to using it this year for a caribou hunt.

I wanted something a bit smaller and more pack able than my pr49.

Which raft? The Ranger? Forager?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk