Pack raft

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Which raft? The Ranger? Forager?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mule. The ranger wasn’t out when I ordered and due to the shipping/building delays I wanted to get it ordered so I’d have it by summer. They are like 8-10 weeks out for shipping right now. The mule has a good load limit and is still pretty light, I have a few plans for hunts that need just such a boat.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
A mule. The ranger wasn’t out when I ordered and due to the shipping/building delays I wanted to get it ordered so I’d have it by summer. They are like 8-10 weeks out for shipping right now. The mule has a good load limit and is still pretty light, I have a few plans for hunts that need just such a boat.

Let us know how it works. Send pics

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Let us know how it works. Send pics

So far it’s pretty sweet, I’ve only had it on flat water and a quick 10 mile class 2 float so nothing major but the size is pretty good. It’s not going to carry all the crap I can load on a pr49 but it’s not supposed to.

Clarktar

WKR
We are each 350lbs and two moose.
Excellent. Glad to hear you are adult sized vs. the typical <5'8" smedium rokslider.
I have done two people and minimal camping gear. One person, gear, and deer. I couldn't imagine two people hunting gear, and anything else.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We’ve done two adults, 180lbs, two day packs, and a caribou several times. Once with a Mtn goat too. It’s not bad for short floats.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any suggestions for a good paddle?

I bought a 4 piece Kokopelli paddle for $20 at the end of last season from a rental company.

My paddle knowledge is limited. So my only suggestion is a 4 piece and light weight.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I bought a 4 piece Kokopelli paddle for $20 at the end of last season from a rental company.

My paddle knowledge is limited. So my only suggestion is a 4 piece and light weight.

By 4 piece do you mean 2 handle sections and 2 paddle pieces?

I’ve always used aquabound paddles, I have 3 or 4 of them.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
By 4 piece do you mean 2 handle sections and 2 paddle pieces?

I’ve always used aquabound paddles, I have 3 or 4 of them.

By 4 piece, I mean the paddle breaks down into 4 pieces to better fit in your pack.
So yes, you’ll have 2 pieces with paddles on the end and 2 pieces of handle.
I think we’re on the same page.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I took the mule out on an overnight last week, paddled about 10 miles around a lake to a river and camped, next day floated the river and got picked up by a buddy with his fishing boat. It was around 30 total miles, caught some good fish and saw some bears.

The boat handled well, it wasn’t really loaded down, just me, fishing gear and a 4500ci dry bag with my camp in it.

Also, a battery powered leaf blower is a game changer for inflating those alpaca rafts, the bag it great for taking on the trip but being able to just blow the boat up without breaking a sweat is great.

I bought a Rapid Raft from Uncharted Supply Co. at some point, just before pandemic. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a rapid deployment raft with as much carry-capacity for the weight. That being said, I don't really think it'll hold 2 people particularly well.

The upside is that if you a have a little bit of space, you can pretty easily inflate the raft (most of the way) without power.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I took the mule out on an overnight last week, paddled about 10 miles around a lake to a river and camped, next day floated the river and got picked up by a buddy with his fishing boat. It was around 30 total miles, caught some good fish and saw some bears.

The boat handled well, it wasn’t really loaded down, just me, fishing gear and a 4500ci dry bag with my camp in it.

Also, a battery powered leaf blower is a game changer for inflating those alpaca rafts, the bag it great for taking on the trip but being able to just blow the boat up without breaking a sweat is great.
Hey! What brand, make and model 4509ci dry bag are you using to transport your camp while packrafting? Also what is your height for packraft sizing reference? Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hey! What brand, make and model 4509ci dry bag are you using to transport your camp while packrafting? Also what is your height for packraft sizing reference? Thanks!
Watershed dry bags are the gold standard. That’s pretty much all I’d ever use for an actual trip. I have some cheaper ones to go on boats or out for day trips. I’m 6’4 so the mule works well for me.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I’m thinking of maybe getting this Watershed dry bag 75L..you can use it like a backpack..it’s pricey though, about a grand!!

Watershed Multicam OTB 75L Dry Bag on NICE Mystery Ranch Frame Medium

Attachments

• 96DE1745-D5E0-4F1F-B537-1C17C6F7FD47.jpeg
    96DE1745-D5E0-4F1F-B537-1C17C6F7FD47.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 374F9A88-D6BF-44CF-8D75-4EA54CD6953C.jpeg
    374F9A88-D6BF-44CF-8D75-4EA54CD6953C.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 15

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m thinking of maybe getting this Watershed dry bag 75L..you can use it like a backpack..it’s pricey though, about a grand!!

Watershed Multicam OTB 75L Dry Bag on NICE Mystery Ranch Frame Medium
I just use the colorado and the Yukon as well as the smallest ones (I forgot the name) and a nomar gun case. Keeps all my stuff dry.