Pack Rope size

I've been looking into pack ropes and am wondering if 1/2" is really necessary for sling and lash ropes. I'm planning to use polyplus or poly dac and 3/8" to me seems plenty strong since in my mind it's not actually holding that much weight if your standard to max load is 80ish pounds and likely less. Sling would have the most weight and is only a portion of that, lash is just holding everything together. Thinking the sizes are a carry over from true manilla rope which I could understand, but in a poly, 3/8" seems adequate. I'm wanting to just buy a roll for under $100 which will do several setups versus spending more than that to get a mix of 1/2" and 3/8" to do a single setup.

Open to other rope types and sizes as well, I like the poly over BTM though.

CF-Farmer

FNG
We always used 1/2” but did have one lash rope with 3/8”. It always seemed to keep everything intact. I think it was easier to get and keep tight. Our Manny ropes were always 3/8” and did the job as well.

Everything I have are 1/2 inch except one setup I bought which is 3/4". I find it difficult get tight and keep it tight. I prefer hemp as opposed to the poly as the poly tends to stretch.

I keep 25 ft of 1/2 " hemp on the saddle for packing or dragging. I have found that if I'm going to string an elk up for skinning before packing, I prefer 3/4 in hemp to hang the block and tackle on to minimize stretch and breakage.

I have found it more and more difficult to find 1/2" hemp available in the stores. I was surprised to find pack ropes available with loops built into one end and the other end braided into a hand hold. I've always had to make my own.