Pack saw

Bringing this back up. Currently trying to decide on an Outfitters supply fanno saw or Silky Katanaboy 500. Anyone know if the Katanaboy thumb screw comes out by hand or not? Found a leather scabbard but two options are available one if you remove the screw and one if it's on. Will the Silky work without the thumb screw?

Dmeis

FNG
I have the outfitters supply saw like the one posted above. You can sharpen the teeth with a chain saw file.

I've used the Katanaboy and it makes quick work.

bisblue

WKR
I'm a wilderness and trails ranger. For the size Silki packs a punch. You used to get fined a dollar if it touched dirt while sawing we valued them so much on the trails crew.
Just got a Fanno I'm stoked to try as well.

wysongdog

WKR
I pack a trail saw from Outfitter supply like this.. Hungry devil..
a866a1b344bf68efa4467302f7d8cd70.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
this is the saw I’ve packed for years. Great saw never leave without it.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
The Silky Katana boy is by far the best solo saw I've used all things considered. If you expect anything bigger than 10-12" go with the 650. If you're solo and expect to encounter really big trees like 18"+ you're only option really is a vintage (tapered steel) single buck saw around 48", or a x-cut saw with one handle works good too. The Silky is probably your best bet for cost, reliability, size, and replacement parts availability.

JGTWI

WKR
I have one of the smaller Silky curved hand saws. It’s excellent, almost unbelievable how that thing cuts in comparison to other saws I’ve used like it.

That Katana Boy 650 mentioned above is sweet, but man, they definitely don’t give those things away.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The Silky Zubat arborist edition (5.5 teeth per inch vs the normal 7.5) is awesome. It comes with a plastic cover over the teeth, if you tape this on you can drop the scabbard and save about 1/2 pound.
20210314_152303.jpg
I also have a Silky Accel 240. It is a good saw, but a whole lot less saw than the Zubat for the same pack weight.
20210314_152316.jpg
For the below log (frozen cured spruce) the Accel took 32 seconds. The Zubat took 18 seconds.
20210314_155645.jpg
For the 9 inch log below, the Zubat took me 7:02 minutes. Someone with more practice and stamina could have shaved at least 2 minutes off that time. 20210314_160756.jpg

AKDoc

WKR
The Silky Zubat arborist edition (5.5 teeth per inch vs the normal 7.5) is awesome. It comes with a plastic cover over the teeth, if you tape this on you can drop the scabbard and save about 1/2 pound.
View attachment 279268
I also have a Silky Accel 240. It is a good saw, but a whole lot less saw than the Zubat for the same pack weight.
View attachment 279269
For the below log (frozen cured spruce) the Accel took 32 seconds. The Zubat took 18 seconds.
View attachment 279272
For the 9 inch log below, the Zubat took me 7:02 minutes. Someone with more practice and stamina could have shaved at least 2 minutes off that time. View attachment 279271

Good information...well done guy.

I've got a SIlky Gomboy Professional, which is really like. It cuts like a dream. If I'm remembering correctly, I think the teeth per inch is six and change, and it weighs a half pound. I'm planning to take it on a hundred-mile packraft float in late August.

I'm still not sure about moose camp in September. For years I've brought a Wyoming Saw to hunting camps so that I could easily change-out blades to do the skull caps...I can't imagine not having that with me after all these years, but having both doesn't seem like a good plan. I'm still thinking about it and will see when I start weighing gear.

Last edited: