Pack selection

Dharby

FNG
I am about to buy a new pack and I have researched this to death. I am still interested in some input before I make a decision.
I am interested in a pack most as a meat hauler and pack frame. I mostly truck camp but also whitetail hunt on my place so I need to pack things to my remote tree stands. So I am not really interested in bags mostly just the hauling ability. But I would like to add some bags in the future. I also have a very long torso. My conclusions are Kifaru, Exo, or SO but I am not opposed to other brands. I think any of them would be fine but I wanted to get some input before I pulled the trigger.

The Kifaru is the top of my list but I am a little concerned about using it without a bag. It seems a little complex and I would have to get a cargo net or quarter panel and compression straps. I not sure I really like how this is setup compared to others load shelf. I like the 26" frame.

The Exo looks really good but I am afraid the frame might not be good for a long torso with a large load?

The SO was on top. I like that it has frame extensions. Also, I think just the suspension comes with a build load shelf and plenty of compression straps. So cost wise I think it is the lowest.

*zap*

WKR
Stone Glacier is the frame and pack system that I am looking at very hard.

Last edited:

Graves14

WKR
Exo has a new frame launching in just a few weeks that will give you the option of running it at 26.5". If you are not in a huge rush I would wait a few weeks and see if the new frame checks your boxes!

All good options in your post and above.

Give a think to an MR pop up. Very light and can haul when needed. I have hauled stands and corn along with deer in mine. Also from MR there is the Mule and it’s cousin the crew cab. A used crew cab on a nice frame is a top flight hauler that compresses to daypack mode very well. They can be had for ~$200.

EXO with the load carrier! The pack comes off in 10 seconds

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

fatrascal

WKR
I like the Kifaru with cargo panel, quarter panel or cargo net. One of those would be the meat shelf AND have plenty of support for the meat strapping up the sides of the pack. You will need plenty of support for the meat. Fatrascal.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
I think a kifaru tactical frame with a nomad and grab it would serve you well. With an extra compression strap set you'd be amazed at the things it will carry.

Used a Metcalf last year and loved it.... it was bombproof but my back has a more distinct curve to it so guna use a stone glacier this year with the Xcurve frame not sure whether to get the solo or one of the sky bags... haven’t decided yet

OP
D

Dharby

FNG
I am not too interested in the MR.
I saw the pictures of the new exo frame. I am going to watch for more about it. Looks like they are going to make extensions like SO.

Stalker69

WKR
You can get a stone glacier pack frame and a basic bag they sell. Then in the future add a pack to that frame. You may be able to do that with others as well, but I seen it on there web sight and that is the way I may go.

OP
D

Dharby

FNG
I ended up getting a stone glacier xcuirve.
I am really impressed so far.
Fit great. The frame comes with meat shelf and straps.

WKR
I ended up getting a stone glacier xcuirve.
I am really impressed so far.
Fit great. The frame comes with meat shelf and straps.
Hope it fits you well. I am 6'7" and the Kifaru frames have been great for me. Was carrying 80 plus pounds up 200 steps a few times this morning and the pack felt great. Can't say the same for my thighs but I am getting there and I do have time still.

AlaskaEd

WKR
For hauling meat it’s hard to beat a Barney’s frame pack. Here is a moose leg cargo strapped to one. 5 loads of meat and another of antlers and gear. Carries like a dream.
IifGkYa.jpg

For backpacking/sheep hunting I love my SG packs. Here is a Stone Glacier R3 frame set up for a spike out/overnight with the Approach pack and meat bag. I also had the 3300 bag that I removed and left at my camp after it was set up. IMHO, SG/Kifaru/Exo all have their pluses and minuses and are mostly similar in this category of pack. I’m just partial to SG after using a Mystery Ranch and a Kifaru for years.

D8ZBiai.jpg

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The SO was on top. I like that it has frame extensions. Also, I think just the suspension comes with a build load shelf and plenty of compression straps. So cost wise I think it is the lowest.

I work for SO and can answer any questions you may have.

For what you're talking about I'd take a look at the Revo suspension only and then add a Merlin. That would give you the ability to do fast and light elk but still have the ability to haul a full quarter, or to haul a treestand plus day gear.