Pack size for 3-4 days

Wapiti16

FNG
I’m from the Southeast and I am not new to elk hunting but I am new to backpack hunting. It’s something that I have wanted to do for 6-7 years, I have read/watched everything I could find during that time and slowly been building my gear list. In that meantime, my big deer/elk hunt every year has been dayhunting from a base camp.

Last year, I got a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth. It’s a great pack for day hunts, I love the size and features, and the load shelf and frame are fantastic. Fits me great. The pack itself is 2750ish CI, and with the new Daypack Lid add-on, 3400ish CI.

I’m trying to figure out now if 3400 is enough space for me to do a 3-4 day spike out? I know that’s a subjective question since everyone’s kit is different. I’ve always heard the rule of thumb is “1000 CI per day.” However, most of that size is fixed, since any length of time spent requires the same camping and hunting equipment, the only real variable that changes is amount of food.

Would I be better off going with a slightly bigger pack so I have more room than I need (an future potential to do more days), rather than try to squeeze by with a pack I initially bought as a hauler daypack? Just curious on your opinions

LJ Buck

WKR
3400 should be enough for 3-4. After gear which is usually a fixed amount depending on time of year the rest of the space is used for food.

Having the ability to stay longer is a no brainier. Especially the way these packs can compact down. With minimum weight penalty, I'm opting for a bigger pack that does it all. From an overnighter to a 10 day stay...

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
3400 is plenty for a 3 to 4 day spike. Especially if it has the ability to store dear between the bag and frame. Try it this year, and if you don't like the results, you can upgrade next year.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, load it up and see for yourself. The big deciding factors will likely be what you are using as a sleeping bag, and shelter. Sleeping bag can easily eat a crap ton of pack space if it’s synthetic.

I think it will be a little small for you... I do think 3400CI is enough volume, but your main bag being 2750, and your lid will hold some hunting essentials. you could do it comfortably if you use the load shelf for gear, but I think as a first time backpack hunter, you aren't going to be super efficient with refined gear that you have acquired through trial and error. if your main bag was 3400CI, I would say you'll be fine, but when you start chopping up your cubic inches into smaller compartments, it can give a misconception of how much usable space you have.

I think an experienced ultralight backpack hunter could get by with your setup, but I think a 4k-ish CI bag would make life easier for you. you would probably like a Metcalf bag

not saying it won't work, and it will if you don't mind using your load shelf, but what about packing all of your gear and elk meat?

since you sound receptive to buying a bigger bag, I would encourage that, you won't regret that, and you'll have it forever, especially a Mystery Ranch, it will hold up well

Rokbar

WKR
How much more room would the load shelf allow you if you use a dry bag there. I'm new to "high end" packs. I've always had a rather large Jan's sport or large Alice. My sleeping bag has always went on the outside in some type of waterproof bag. The problem with large packs are you will use all space and literally weight yourself down.

It depends on how you pack. I have done a week of lightweight hiking from a pack of similar size.

you can add a lot of room to that sawtooth using the meat shelf. You could also add a lid or bedroll underneath it. I tend to prefer a bigger pack for more than 2 days but I say use what you have.

Might also take into consideration how far back you’re going and what the weather will be.

tttoadman

WKR
as said above, you sleep system is the big variable. I have done 3-4 days in my 3300 Solo bag early season. Late season with a bigger sleeping bag I just put all my food in a 10L dry bag and strap it under the lid. I have also done 10 days late season with 3 dry bags strapped to a 3300.

Hammer with what you have until you can justify a bigger bag. It just makes life easier.

OP
W

Wapiti16

FNG
I think it will be a little small for you... I do think 3400CI is enough volume, but your main bag being 2750, and your lid will hold some hunting essentials. you could do it comfortably if you use the load shelf for gear, but I think as a first time backpack hunter, you aren't going to be super efficient with refined gear that you have acquired through trial and error. if your main bag was 3400CI, I would say you'll be fine, but when you start chopping up your cubic inches into smaller compartments, it can give a misconception of how much usable space you have.

I think an experienced ultralight backpack hunter could get by with your setup, but I think a 4k-ish CI bag would make life easier for you. you would probably like a Metcalf bag

not saying it won't work, and it will if you don't mind using your load shelf, but what about packing all of your gear and elk meat?

since you sound receptive to buying a bigger bag, I would encourage that, you won't regret that, and you'll have it forever, especially a Mystery Ranch, it will hold up well

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. It will take experience from several trips for my kit to become as efficient and streamlined as possible.

3400 inches, the way it would be broken between the bag and lid in the sawtooth, isn’t the same as 3400 of full bag in another pack. I’m buying lightweight, very packable gear but was concerned about lack continuous space instead of broken space.

I think I’m going to go with a larger pack and compress it as needed. I will take some time to research, either I will buy a completely new pack or buy an additional bag only option for my Sawtooth/ MR frame.

I have been very interested in the Exo 4800 bit would have to buy the whole pack. I also talked to MR already and they are offering the Beartooth as a “bag only” option later this this fall, and I already have the frame. I love my Sawtooth and especially the frame, and the Beartooth is just a bigger version of that pack. I will have plenty of room for any size trip with that bag.

hikenhunt

WKR
I'd stick with what you have and save your money or spend it elsewhere. If your gear doesn't fit, use the load shelf for your food or sleep system.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. It will take experience from several trips for my kit to become as efficient and streamlined as possible.

3400 inches, the way it would be broken between the bag and lid in the sawtooth, isn’t the same as 3400 of full bag in another pack. I’m buying lightweight, very packable gear but was concerned about lack continuous space instead of broken space.

I think I’m going to go with a larger pack and compress it as needed. I will take some time to research, either I will buy a completely new pack or buy an additional bag only option for my Sawtooth/ MR frame.

I have been very interested in the Exo 4800 bit would have to buy the whole pack. I also talked to MR already and they are offering the Beartooth as a “bag only” option later this this fall, and I already have the frame. I love my Sawtooth and especially the frame, and the Beartooth is just a bigger version of that pack. I will have plenty of room for any size trip with that bag.
The beartooth would be perfect for you, same layout, just bigger. The bigger bags compress down well, and the added weight is a small amount that will not matter in real life.

if you like the frame, stick with that platform... it’s a good one. I like mystery ranch, they are bomb proof as packs get.

EXO is awesome too, most comfortable packs to me, but we are all different in that regard.

I think if someone finds a pack they like, sticking with it is wise, you may not like a different frame as much

I'm a devils advocate for more room. You can always suck down the excess.
Not that I pack a ton of stuff. But by the time you put a sleeping bag, puffy, rain jacket and maybe a midlayer in there then a sleeping pad and a shelter it adds up fast. Then add food. And I love that stuff!
I'd go with something about 4-6 for that many days at the min. But honestly for more than an over night Ill use something around 8k. Basically because I can't afford another mid size bag and I'll sometimes do week long trips so the room is a must.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk