Pack size for 5 day

Scoot

WKR
I'll take a bit of a devil's advocate stance... if you get a bigger pack than you really need (e.g., 6500), you'll fill the damn thing! Especially being a newbie at backpack hunting, you'll do what most of us did starting out and bring too much crap. Bringing too much crap means you have to carry too much crap. If you're young and strong, that's no big deal. Each year I get about three years older and the mountain gets steeper. Carrying too much crap is not good, and gets less good every year for me!

Whatever you go with, have fun with it! Buy what you can afford and enjoy the heck outta it!

I'll take a bit of a devil's advocate stance... if you get a bigger pack than you really need (e.g., 6500), you'll fill the damn thing! Especially being a newbie at backpack hunting, you'll do what most of us did starting out and bring too much crap. Bringing too much crap means you have to carry too much crap. If you're young and strong, that's no big deal. Each year I get about three years older and the mountain gets steeper. Carrying too much crap is not good, and gets less good every year for me!

Whatever you go with, have fun with it! Buy what you can afford and enjoy the heck outta it!
I’m gonna play devils advocate to devils advocate. Thanks for that one liner on the trailcam podcast btw Mr Roe. But when I go hunt whether in the backcountry or from truck camp, my goal is to fill my pack up. I want blood on or in my pack! ;)

Last edited:
OP
K

Kshusker

FNG
Thanks for the responses, I have been watching whats in my pack videos and trying to make a list of what I have, what I can borrow, and what I need to Purchase. Clothing is one of the things I need to get dialed in, I don't want to bring way to much stuff which I feel could be pretty easy if I start saying what if this or that happens. I have been looking at seasonal Temps for May and June so that I can have a better idea of what I need. I am leaning towards a larger pack and just being aware of what I put in it. I want a quality pack that will last a long time.

Marble

WKR
I've never been in the backcountry hunting and wished my pack was smaller. Maybe lighter...but thats another issue.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I always buy packs on the bigger side. Some people say if you buy big you will take too much, that’s not been my experience. I’m still looking to save weight where I can but having a larger bag gives me More versatility, allows for winter trips and also allows for easier pack up of I move camp quickly. The stone glacier 7900 is what I’m using this year, the kifaru fulcrum is another bigger pack I’ve used a lot. Both compress down for hunting out of camp and compress well with just a few days of gear in them.

I also like being able to have the room to haul water when needed, a few years ago I was on a sheep hunt, the last water was about 3 miles from where I planned to camp. I was able to fill a bunch of platypus bags and just hump the weight rather than making a trip back for water....f that.

If I’m just going on a day hike or something I have a 14er which works great.

Mjprohoroff

Lil-Rokslider
If you get more bag than you need, will you bring more stuff than you need? Probably, but it’s kinda something you have to do to learn what works for you. Go bigger, 55-6500. Most of the time when starting out, we pack to our fears and what if’s. We still all have to decide what’s important to ourselves. Do a couple overnighters, short trips and test your system before you go on you longer trip. Even if it’s in your back yard or a local park. Does your sleep system keep you warm? Do you know how to operate everything in the field, etc. If I was talking to myself when I was first starting, here are a few tips I give myself.
1: you don’t need near that many clothes. For 5 days, if I’m not expecting constant rain, I would have the clothes I wear in on the hike, 1 extra pair of socks, 1 extra pair of underwear, and a light puffy (if I expect temps to dip below 40* I may add a beanie and light gloves. I might bring a light rain shell if there is a chance of rain but that’s it. For the hike in late may or or early June in Oregon, I would have a good merino base layer, stretch hiking pants, merino socks, fleece hoody and a cap. I sleep in my underwear and socks, so put on the fresh pair at night and let the others air out and dry over night. Synthetic materials will dry faster, but wool won’t stink and it will keep you warmer even when damp. if your clothes happen to get wet, start a fire and dry them out. If they are still damp when you go to bed and you have a synthetic sleeping bag, you can wear them to bed and they will be dry in the morning.
2: make daily food bags and try to eat everything in the bag. Try to find calorie dense foods you enjoy but try to keep each around 1.5 pounds.
3: get an inreach. If something really bad does happen back in there, it can save your life! It’s a great way to keep in touch with loved ones and let people know where you are. It’s a great Safty blanket.
4: really think about your 1st aid kit. I used to bring so much worthless stuff that I never used. Bring a couple bandaids if you want, but in reality if really need it, there are a few things that can save your life. Get a tourniquet and learn how to use it. Get lueko tape and apply some to your feet before you leave the truck. Bring some ibuprofen, and Tylenol pm. I rarely use the t-pm since I switched to hammocks but before it helped get a better night sleep on the ground.
5: if you go with a buddy, split some things. You take the cook system, let them take the water filter, things like that. What’s the worst that can happen, it one of them fails you have to head back to the truck and get your backup or cut trip short.
6: finally don’t bring back-ups to things. Leave them at the truck. Make sure everything is charged up and has fresh batteries/fuel canisters before you leave. Always have a couple ways to start a fire. Pyro putty is great, but cotton balls smeared with Vaseline also work good.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
Some people say if you buy big you will take too much, that’s not been my experience.

I think that mentality/approach works well when you are experienced enough to know what you need to bring vs. don't bring. For someone like the OP, getting a nearly 8000 pack will likely lead to the inclusion of the kitchen sink because he won't know going in that he doesn't need it ("need" being the operative word). Thinhorn, I have no doubt you have your needs pretty well dialed in, so having extra space you can simply cinch down is not problem at all.

On the other hand, I do agree with the guys above-- the extra space is definitely nice. You just have to be prepared with good info/knowledge/experience so you don't abuse that extra space and therefore, abuse/punish yourself because of it.

Good luck with whatever you pick!

*zap*

WKR
Anyone packing in to hunt for the first time should really do some 'trial' pack in/camp outs unless they have done alot of that type of hiking. If you going to fill any pack you own to the brim just 'because' you need to work on self control.

:love:

As others have mentioned the size of the pack needed can really vary depending on time off year and what you personally NEED to stay comfortable.

I started out with a 3400 ci hiking backpack and a cheaper sleeping bag for cold weather and found that just the sleeping bag was taking up way to much space. Just upgrading sleeping bags to a better (smaller/lighter) bag made space for other things.

On 5-7 day hunts my kifaru mountain warrior with a guide lid is perfect. Holds everything I need on the way out to camp, and then is a great day pack after camp is set up. I also have used to use a REI XT 85 backpack on the same type of hunts, along with several others in this size range. I believe all the packs I have used for trips of that length are in the neighborhood of 5500 cubic inches. That is probably a good minimum size, especially if your new to backpacking. I have my gear narrowed down to pretty much exactly what I need/want after decades of backpacking. I also have high accumulated the most compact light weight gear that works for me through all the years.

If your new to this I could see you needing another 1000-1500 cubic inches

OP
K

Kshusker

FNG
I have decided to go the kifaru route. Yes the price is up there but I feel like it will a pack system I will never need to replace. I like the option if replacing the bag and keeping the frame. Seems like the bags that come up for sale go relatively fast, so if I did decide to change I would be able to.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I used my 22 Mag from September through November for 2-5 days w/ my sleeping bag strapped to the bottom of the pack. That said, I’ve spent the better part of 2 decades buying/trying gear that allows me to go this small. It’s certainly not for everyone.

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
if you can’t fit it in 5000 pack your bringing too much lol I bought a smaller pack because I do shorter trips and I make myself fit it or I’m bringing too much. And it’s still heavy ! 👍🏻😂

Marble

WKR
I always consider that I might need to carry out meat. Which usually happens.

Prime example, if I had my standard "day pack" which doesn't hold much of anything. I wouldn't have been able to carry out my buck the same day I killed it. I then would have wasted half a day or more to make another trip in. My penalty for carrying a larger pack? Maybe 2 pounds? That's better than hiking or riding 6 miles round trip and spending half a day getting my deer.

So my "day pack" is a 44 mag.

My back packing pack is a Crater.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The OP also said he's borrowing a bunch of stuff. There's no way of knowing what all that is. I would imagine it's not all the lightest, most compact options.

My 4800 is pretty well stuffed for three days. I would say err bigger. It's less of an inconvenience to pack up when you don't have to make everything fit perfectly.

OP
K

Kshusker

FNG
With my frame figured out I am leaning towards the reckoning pack. Items I will most likely borrow will be a tent, cooking system, and possibly a sleeping bag and pad. I am sure there is more I will need to borrow but these are the big ticket items off the top of my head. I would like to get my own sleeping bag and pad I am just not sure what rating would be most useful but am leaning towards a 15 degree. I have acquired a couple list of what people bring and am trying to check items off as buy or borrow.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It really depends on you. I have seen some people barely fit an overnight on 5000Ci and others do 10 days out of it.

For backpack hunting I think in the real 6000 - 6500 CI range is a good size for most people, but you could make the argument that 7000 or more is even better and it sort of depends on how expandable a pack is. If the pack has a really good compression system you can go larger with little fear , or if it has really good ways to add extra gear, you can go smaller and adjust.

Other things are like is your sleeping pad and tent strapped outside or stored inside .. makes a big difference

mlgc20

WKR
Surprised by the responses. But, clearly I am in the minority. I can't imagine needing more than 5000 CI. I have a 3200 CI pack that I use for my non-hunting backpacking and can get 10 days out of that, even in winter in the Rockies. No way I would need double that to accommodate my hunting specific gear (optics, kill kit, weapon, etc.). My EXO 4800 that I use for hunting/backpacking seems cavernous for 5 day trips.

Despite my experience being different, I would say go with the majority opinion. A lot of wisdom here. Best of luck with your decision.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm in the "rather-have-it-and-not-need-it" club. I have a Seek Outside Revolution 6,300. The difference between it and the 4,800 is 3oz.

I fully understand that people can bring things they don't need but someone with experience knows what they need and should not be hauling in unnecessary stuff. Moreover, if someone in your party gets sick and can't haul a full load, you'll have room in your backpack to pitch in and help.

Backpacks roll down to eliminate excess space and the weight penalty is negligible.

thbrock07

FNG
I use 5500 for 3-5 days. I wouldn't go any smaller for 5 days if you're bringing a tent. Sizing up and having the best of both worlds is what I'd do if I had to start buying packs again.