Pack size for 5 day

Surprised by the responses. But, clearly I am in the minority. I can't imagine needing more than 5000 CI. I have a 3200 CI pack that I use for my non-hunting backpacking and can get 10 days out of that, even in winter in the Rockies. No way I would need double that to accommodate my hunting specific gear (optics, kill kit, weapon, etc.). My EXO 4800 that I use for hunting/backpacking seems cavernous for 5 day trips.

Despite my experience being different, I would say go with the majority opinion. A lot of wisdom here. Best of luck with your decision.
I don't think I could put ten days of food in a 3200.

How do you get ten days in the mountains, in the winter, in that size pack?

mlgc20

WKR
I don't think I could put ten days of food in a 3200.

How do you get ten days in the mountains, in the winter, in that size pack?
It will be stuffed no doubt. But it is doable. For me, it's two things. First, I repackage almost all my food for long trips. I rarely leave anything in it's original packaging. Most of it gets thrown into Ziplock bags. You can cut your food "footprint" in half by getting rid of the original packages. Obviously, that doesn't matter on a 2-3 day trip. But, when you are looking at 7+ days, the difference is well worth it. Secondly, I require a lot less shelter in the winter. In the shoulder seasons, I run a full tent. But, in the middle of winter when bugs and rain aren't an issue, I go down to just a small tarp. And if it's not going to snow, I will usually just cowboy camp on the snow.

Rock-o

WKR
Surprised by the responses. But, clearly I am in the minority. I can't imagine needing more than 5000 CI. I have a 3200 CI pack that I use for my non-hunting backpacking and can get 10 days out of that, even in winter in the Rockies. No way I would need double that to accommodate my hunting specific gear (optics, kill kit, weapon, etc.). My EXO 4800 that I use for hunting/backpacking seems cavernous for 5 day trips.

Despite my experience being different, I would say go with the majority opinion. A lot of wisdom here. Best of luck with your decision.

@mlgc20

I'm new to this and wanted to buy/have only one bag. My chosen bag is 6500 (main) plus two 400 side pockets, so the manufacturer says. Realistically probably quite a bit bigger than what I'll need once I start to get a grip on my overall system. I simply had no idea where (size) to start. So I used it on a 4 day hunt and found it to be *really* big! And I know I could cut down on the volume my gear takes up (for example, I think my sleeping bag is very large - it will soon be replaced). I think I did pretty well packing only what I need though. I don't believe I could ever get down to a 3200 like you but I think sub-5000 is absolutely doable.

mlgc20

WKR
@mlgc20

I'm new to this and wanted to buy/have only one bag. My chosen bag is 6500 (main) plus two 400 side pockets, so the manufacturer says. Realistically probably quite a bit bigger than what I'll need once I start to get a grip on my overall system. I simply had no idea where (size) to start. So I used it on a 4 day hunt and found it to be *really* big! And I know I could cut down on the volume my gear takes up (for example, I think my sleeping bag is very large - it will soon be replaced). I think I did pretty well packing only what I need though. I don't believe I could ever get down to a 3200 like you but I think sub-5000 is absolutely doable.
That seems perfectly reasonable. And if you are like most of us on Rockslide, you will go through several iterations on what works for you. There are lots of ways to skin this cat. When I go backpacking with my brother, his pack is usually twice as heavy as mine. But he is in ridiculous shape, and doesn't really care about how much stuff weighs.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a mystery ranch terraframe 65 last year. I agree with everyone above. I would go at least 5000 ci. If the frame extends like the mystery ranch for a load shelf you have some built in margin of error.

If you are borrowing gear - it won't be compact, light, and "perfect" for your needs. Having the "fudge factor" of a larger pack will make it work.
Wacko,

I have been looking at this same pack. Do you have a write up or review. I have not found much that isn't a repeat of everyone else or a regurgitation of the MR video. Could you shoot me a private message or something? Would love to pick your brain.
-Matthew

OP
K

Kshusker

FNG
So went with a kifaru reckoning I bought off here used. Put it in the frame to night and decided to see what it felt like with my 6 year old (53#) then tried my 8 year old (67#) walked around the yard with each and it was surprisingly comfortable. Girls were pretty excited to ride in the pack but the neighbor asked what the hell I was doing. I am going to add a guide lid and 2 belt pouches. Very happy with my set up, and just wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded, I appreciated the help and direction supplied.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been setting up my 14’r w/ a guide organizer lid. So far this going to be a super solid set up for 3-5 days. Tent strapped to the side and quilt strapped underneath the bag and I have 1/2 the main compartment for food.

I wouldn’t go anything smaller than 6500 no matter if I was going in for 3 or 14 days. The way these packs cinch down, why not have the best of all worlds? Why limit yourself? The cost and weight difference is minimal and almost not worth even mentioning.
This is sage advice. I’ve used a 4200 for 5 day trips and yes i did it it but it was so dull and stuffed that it made packing a challenge.
After that I buy nothing smaller them 6400. Most my ethos are 5 - 7 days and I currently use a 6900. They sinch down so small for day hunting that it just makes sense to go bigger. My pack only weighs 2 ounces more then the 5200. So for a 2oz weight penalty and $25 more I get an extra 1600 cu.in.

you can always make a bag smaller, but you can’t make a bag bigger.

Yeah i toyed with getting the 4800 vs 6400. Decided on 6400. I feel I could get 7 days in the 4800 though. On a 5-7 day hunt are u strapping anything to the outside? Are u using a down sleeping bag or a quilt? Tent or bivy? I think couple of these answers will help some people out. Because my gear doesn’t change from 3 day or a 10 day trip, only my food.

Adam

mlgc20

WKR
Yeah i toyed with getting the 4800 vs 6400. Decided on 6400. I feel I could get 7 days in the 4800 though. On a 5-7 day hunt are u strapping anything to the outside? Are u using a down sleeping bag or a quilt? Tent or bivy? I think couple of these answers will help some people out. Because my gear doesn’t change from 3 day or a 10 day trip, only my food.

Adam
Sure thing. And just to be clear. I'm not trying to convince anybody to do what I do or change anything. Just sharing my experience.

Agree 100% that things don't really change from a 3 day to 10 day except food. I rarely strap stuff to the outside of my pack. Its one of my pet peeves. The only exception is when I'm going with both of my daughters. In that case, I carry a 4 person tent and strap the poles to the outside. Normally, I am running a 3 person tent for me and my oldest daughter. It fits on the inside and my trekking poles (that also support my shelter) are on the outside or in my hands. I have a down quilt that I put in an 8L roll top dry bag. As I mentioned above, on long trips I always repackage my food. That saves a little bit of weight. But, more importantly it saves a ton of bulk. Another important thing with food. I don't put all 5-10 days of food in one bag. That thing will be huge. I put the food in individual gallon bags for each day. Then fill in the dead spots in my pack with the various food bags.

The important question to ask yourself is are you packing to hike or packing to camp. I think I first heard that from Andrew Skurka. And what he's getting at is whether you are trying to be more comfortable in camp or more comfortable while hiking. For example, packing a chair is less comfortable on the hike, but makes camp nicer. There isn't a right or wrong answer to that question. But, my approach is to make hiking as comfortable as possible. So, I leave the chair at home. Same with a wood stove, extra headlamps, extra food, extra clothing layers, etc.

OP
K

Kshusker

FNG
Well the way it works in my head is I won't be strapping anything to the outside and I will be organized. But I feel like I am giving myself enough time to ask questions and read various responses and am able to make somewhat informed decisions. While I admit the pack was a hard one to get decided I am more confident having the pack I front of me and seeing the actual volume I have to work with, but I also want to be cautious to not bring things just to bring them. Food will be a tough one for me as I am buying mountain house meals and trying them now so I have an idea of what I like and also trying other brands of food. Sleeping bag seems to be a hang up for me as I don't know what a "good" weight I should look at staying under. I feel like a 15 or 20 degree bag is what I want and I am looking for a used one. Is in the 3#s the top end of weight? Thanks again to everyone that commented I really appreciated the helpful responses and felt like it guided/is guiding me in the right direction.

Well the way it works in my head is I won't be strapping anything to the outside and I will be organized. But I feel like I am giving myself enough time to ask questions and read various responses and am able to make somewhat informed decisions. While I admit the pack was a hard one to get decided I am more confident having the pack I front of me and seeing the actual volume I have to work with, but I also want to be cautious to not bring things just to bring them. Food will be a tough one for me as I am buying mountain house meals and trying them now so I have an idea of what I like and also trying other brands of food. Sleeping bag seems to be a hang up for me as I don't know what a "good" weight I should look at staying under. I feel like a 15 or 20 degree bag is what I want and I am looking for a used one. Is in the 3#s the top end of weight? Thanks again to everyone that commented I really appreciated the helpful responses and felt like it guided/is guiding me in the right direction.

a good high end down insulation 15 - 20 degree sleeping bag will weight between 2 - 2.5lbs depending on length and width. A 3lb 15 degree bag will be just fine it just means it has a lower quality of down so it takes more down to achieve the temp rating. Also won’t pack quit as small.

I’d also consider trying out a quilt. My 20 degree extra long/wide is still under 2 lbs with a couple oz of extra fill. Hammock gear makes a great affordable quilt you can customize to your needs.

Agreed with what carson said above me. I was on the fence between the SG 5900 and 6900. Went with the 6900 and have always been happy to have the extra space in the main bag. Wouldn't change a thing.

One thing to point out is how is the bag dimensioned? So Stone Glacier keeps the same depth on their pags so it makes to go bigger say the 6900 because the bag depth stays the same as theirt smaller bags say the 5900. Now take Exo and the 4800 has 9” bag depth and 11.5” width. Jump up to exo 6400 the depth is 12” so it’s actually deeper then wider as both bags have a 11.5” width. For me I don’t like that as that means you have more pull backwards and it allows gear to be farther away from your center of back. It’s the reason I exchanged the 6400 for 4800 this week. Also if you use the load shelf that means that load will be even farther away from your back. I absolutely loved the 6400 and the extra room for a mere weight Penalty of 2oz but dimensions for me was a deal breaker.

just something to consider when shopping. Always look at the dimensions it’s good to know how the load will be riding in relation to your back.