Pack size for Kodiak lodge/boat hunt? And other ?

12wander

FNG
I did a search for some of the questions I had for a future hunt to Kodiak for Black Tails. I couldn’t come up with recommended pack size. Being a midwestern whitetail hunter I have day packs but nothing for freighting out meat. Being I’ll be 64 on this hunt I only want to carry what’s needed. I have a bad habit of if I have room I fill it.
I also had a question on gloves for a early November hunt. I seen some guys that were wearing what looked like commercial fishing gloves and one referenced a pair that was waterproof but breathable but never gave a brand or link. Any ideas on these. I don’t want to sweat out my insulated gloves busting brush Then have cold hands glassing. Lastly what part of the island is considered the south end?
Any other tips on overlooked gear that one might want to bring would be appreciated. I apologize for the questions but I personally don’t know anyone that has done this hunt and have to rely on the brain trust here.

Merry Christmas

DRUSS

WKR
huntin fool did a gear dump recently on youtube that was a spring bear trip but i think a lot of the items used and taken would be very similar.

akbrett

FNG
5000 cubic inch should be sufficient. i used the stone glacier 7900 and i had plenty of extra room. on a normal day i had kowa 77 spotter and tripod. puffy pant and jacket, rain gear. food for the day. adding a quartered deer with cape and head, with room left over
if you don’t own a pack and are looking to buy one the stone glacier terminus 7000 would be the perfect pack for that hunt.

i would bring a bunch of different sets of gloves. some sort of water proof glove would be ideal and down mitts for once you stop moving to glass.

as for which area is considered south i would draw a line halfway across the island running from east to west. the half that’s to the south would be the south.

I mostly wore my kuiu Yukon gloves. The brush is full of prickly shit. You want something tough for when you accidentally grab a devil's club.

Get a pack big enough for a beefy quartered whitetail. With room for snacks and some extra clothes.

Trekking poles are a must. Kahtoola micro spikes are nice for wet slippery grass. Check Sierra Trading post.

I only went once but can't wait to go back. I'll bring less stuff the next time.