Pack squeak cure

Chris

FNG
All of a sudden my trusted high end pack has started to squeak. I’ve taken it apart and washed it as best as I can. It’s in the load lifters and where the shoulder straps meet the frame from the best I can tell.

Has anyone ever found a remedy to an issue like that?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
I have found dry webbing to squeak in buckles. See if you can get some bowstring wax in there where the buckle has its spot on the webbing.

If it's a k-clip, remove it from the webbing loop and goop that wax in there on the k-clip. Don't be shy with it.

Works pretty great on dusty, squeaky boot laces too.

smith406

FNG
If the pack has internal stays running up to the lifters like a MR frame, you can inject a silicone lube into the webbing tubes the stays ride in with a syringe. What frame do you have?

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you can take the frame out, wrap medical tape around the frame where you think the squeak is coming from. Doesn't matter what brand pack, they are all susceptible to it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Chris

Chris

FNG
All sound like great suggestions. It’s an EXO pack and frame.

It got very dusty/sandy on several hunts last year and that’s when it really started.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Wax will also work, but the tape will fix it for sure

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
My Kuiu pack did that when I first got it. I used an entire extra bottle of windicator squirting it into the stay pockets, helped quite a bit. When I got home I wrapped all the framepoint/stay areas with cloth electrical tape. That fixed it for me.

OP
Chris

Chris

FNG
What type of medical tape are you using? The paperish type or like athletic tape type?

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Beeswax from the local hobbies store solves a lot of problems for me with squeaks and it also works wonders as a zipper lube to.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Another thing that helped that problem for me was at first I was putting my 3L bladder into the side wings of my EMR II. Then when the 3 cinching straps were tightened down... the cordura of the pack... under the cinching straps... rubbed a loud sound off against that bladder. Moving it into the center compartment helped.

Still had squeeks though where the top of the bag slips on top of the two sides of the frame stays. Called their support... cannot believe they offered this as a solution... but whatever.. they suggested I put hockey-tape around those two frame tops.

I did... and it did quiet it down. But it quickly worked it's way back out of there, I wanna say within a day or two.

Still... I was quite upset that here I have this product that is near to $1000 bucks... (for frame plus bag) and I call about this problem... and they're essentially just saying to "bubble-gum it"!

In what other industry does BS like that fly? Better engineer your products, end of story!

Much obliged to the folks here who've mentioned the wax based solutions.

OP
Chris

Chris

FNG
a09d7557a10052e62020a80864fb22e3.jpg

Thanks a ton for the tip!I wish I’d have known this about 15 years ago, so far it’s silent as can be.

Really it was those 3 middle horizontal stays. I had to slice a little hole to get them out and wrap them. You can see the top of the havalon pointing to one.

TheGDog

WKR
Hrmm.. Medical Wrap tape huh? Definitely giving that a try. Can not STAND a pack that isn't quiet!