Pack Style?

So with all the different styles and features out there, I thought it would be interesting to see what style pack hunters prefer the most. Not interested in frame type.

My pack is a no frills T1 pack currently. Top loader with 2 small belt pouches. It checks all the boxes as far as necessity goes. I'm on the fence on whether I "need" a bag with a more convenient layout.

What type of bag for y'all? Top loader? Bat wing? Side zip? Pockets everywhere? Talk to me ;)

As a whitetail hunter originally, I've gone through several iterations of layout.

Originally pockets and cubbies all over and in the bag to "keep things organized". Then I figured out I don't need all this crap when I'm hunting. Alps Pursuit and various packs.

Went in the opposite direction when we decided to do a western hunt. MR Beartooth. Great for carrying backpack style hunt but not for in a tree.

Now I'm waiting on getting a used Sawtooth 45 bag I got in classifieds. Middle of the road. Main compartment with a couple organizational sleeves and 3 zippered pockets. Fingers crossed.

*zap*

WKR
SG 6200, side zip with top access. 3 camp and 3 swing out pockets in the main body and I switched to an ILBE lid that has pals webbing and is larger than the SG lid. I have 4 small pouches on that lid for my quick access stuff (lighting, reading glasses, compass) and I can easily strap that lid around a tree when on post so I keep gloves/hats/bodywarmers/book and stuff like that in it. Originally I was concerned about the lack of organization on the SG pack but with the change of the lid and the camp/swing out pockets it became a non issue. I also figured out how to attach my MR Mule pack body to the front of the 6200 if I need more room......seemed better to use what I had rather than buy one of the SG add on bags.

I’ve also taken the no frills approach after having the bag/pack with everything and it weighing over9 lbs. empty. So now, for anything over a week long hunt, I use a SG Sky7400, anything a week and under, I use a SG (6300 ci), Terminus. Keep it simple stupid, is my latest way of thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv tried both ends of the spectrum.

My only consideration now, is that it’s big enough. I can make the rest work. I’m done with the revolving bag game and just running what I have, and spending the rest on other stuff.

It is nice having a pocket to keep ass wipe quickly accessible though.

That said I do think many go overboard on the pockets.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I used to run a Badlands 2200 which was ok but the batwings were really not that useful for me and the little pockets they had sewn in were not large enough to be effective at putting anything useful in them. I also didn't like the access. Even though the zipper went down the sides a ways it was placed in such a way that I was always digging in from the top and having to pull everything out to access the bottom anyway because otherwise I was fighting the batwings in my way.

I just got an EXO 4800 this year and love it. I looked long and hard at all the manufacturers and I couldn't get myself to pay several hundred dollars on essentially a big duffel bag which is what the Stone Glacier and Kifaru setups seem to be on most bags requiring the purchasing of additional compartments to get any organization and also adding weight. I liked some of the Mystery Ranch bags but the frame comfort made me choose Exo.

I love that Exo has a perfect mix of simplicity yet comes with some organization built in. The roll top access at the top of the bag is also genius. I don't know why all manufactures don't offer this option. The horseshoe zipper on the front offers unparalleled access without having to go in from the top so you don't have to yardsale. There is waterproof pocket for your waterbladder or a wet tent fly, two long side pockets for tent poles, a spotter, or a rifle, and the two large stretch pockets for a water bottle or anything else (I keep my TP in there). Overall a nice mix of simplicity with enough organization to make sense. Also key for any pack for me is the ability to strap a rifle or bow to it.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I see a wide variety of preferences on this, based on experience levels and types of hunting.

Those who hunt really steep high country (10-13k) and go in for a week or more tend to gravitate toward the same sets of criteria.

1. As much volume as possible at as little weight as possible, usually a 6k+ packbag.
2. Some small secure organization for a headlamp, license, battery, phone, etc.
3. Some larger organization for bigger stuffsacks, raingear, days food, or maybe a spotter/tripod pocket.

For that type hunt in that type country, a sub 4 lb pack with 6000-7000 ci would be ideal.

For a dayhunt from the truck, a much smaller packbag with a lot more pockets makes sense.

OP
trophyhill
Yeah one of the things I really love about my pack is the versatility! I can pack for 10 days, or I can compact down very small and light on spot n stalk style hunting where I'm never too far from my truck.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
SG here as well (5900)- basically one large bag; I did add two pullouts for stuff I need handy at the top of the pack and two belt pockets for stuff I need handy without getting into the pack

jmez

WKR
SG 5100. Front and top access. I never use the top access, I'd be fine if that was just sewed shut. I don't run any other pockets or bags. Simple light, and with the load shelf I can pack for 10 days.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
After using a top loader for forever it took me awhile to appreciate side zipper access, but I couldn't go back. I'm really loving the Initial Ascent pack

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
I like the top loader big simple bags.
I have:
Kifaru Mountain Warrior
SG Terminus
SO divide

I run a Kifaru std lid with a L&L #11 hooked on top. Very light.

I have started to love the Sherman pocket for its handy size. hooks nicely to the top of the SG or kifaru frame for hunt mode.

The SO with the watertight bag is super for soaking western OR hunts. I just stuff my L&L or other organization pocket in the bag and roll it down.

Rokwiia

WKR
I subscribe to the large-main-bag approach. Mine is a Seek Outside Revolution which has a 6,300 cu in waterproof main bag with no zipper. Key here for me is waterproof as I am in an area that is always wet. There is plenty of space to put things which must be easily accessible in the Talon (back pouch) which is another 1,000 cu, in belt pouch(s) they make, or a top lid.

By having a main bag without zippers and a roll down top, I know my gear will be dry. The weight is 4.2lbs which makes it lighter than other setups yet it has colossal volume.

Attachments

• Revolution Fortress 6,300.jpg
    Revolution Fortress 6,300.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 20