Pack suggestions for first hunt out west

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the early stages of planning an elk hunt out west for next year. It will be my first time really hunting out of a pack. I mostly whitetail hunt in ky and when we get a deer we just go get it with a 4 wheeler/truck. I'm just looking for a frame/ pack reccomendation that would be able to do a multi day elk hunt and could adapt to many other hunts in coming years. From research I've done I could use a eberlestock frame with the bat wings and use any dry bag/ pack only to adapt to many different hunts. Is there other options that can be tuned like the eberlestock option? Or a pack that will be able to do 95% of what I will probably ever do?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I use an ALPS Outdoorz Commander packframe with 5,500 cubic in bag for my backpack hunts in the Lower-48.

Most higher end hunting packs are modular and adaptable to different uses. Finding a pack that fits your body well is the most important thing. But pack fit is too subjective/personal for others' opinions to have much value, so I'll just recommend a few brands to research: Exo Mountain Gear, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Seek Outside, Stone Glacier. Watching the classifieds for secondhand packs can be a good way to save some money.

Hill People Gear Decker frame could be used with a dry bag, their frame is much shorter than others but the shoulder yolk makes it super comfortable. I think you’d be much happier using it out east than the other frame packs due to the height. A decker frame with their medium pack bag will hold everything you need for a few days out.

achadam

FNG
I rock a kifaru Reckoning. Expensive but compressed down easy for day packs. Great overall. Tried and true, have had it in their lineup for years.

zacattack

WKR
I have the kifaru hoodlum and a lite frame, I think it’s one of their more popular packs and was recommended by the owner as a good do all setup. With a lid and a pocket or two you should be good to go.

Buy a high-end pack on here USED. You can fit a week's worth of stuff (if you pack light) into a 65L/4000 pack and set up a spike camp. Strap down your pack with the day hunt gear and just use that. If you shoot something you'll have a pack ready to go.

get yourself a used EXO 3500 or 4800 and you'll be set, from chasing whitetails in a tree stand to packing in for 3-4-5 nights and be able to pack out an elk. They compress down to almost nothing and still work great in a tree stand.

fatlander

WKR
Of the big 3: Stone glacier is the most comfortable for me. EXO has the best bag design and layout. Kifaru is on a whole different level of durability. I stuck with the SG because it’s the most comfortable under load.

Whatever fits you best is what you need to go with. It’s hard to know what fits best when they’re 650+ bucks and there aren’t many places to try them on.

I’d suggest you try to find guys here that are close to you who would allow you try different packs on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't realize it but I have multiple friends that have their own packs from past hunts. I'm unsure what all they have but I'd say it will be a good variety. I will definitely be checking there's out. And keeping an eye on the classifieds.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna carry a Kifaru Fulcrum this year. One hunt will test it’s limits with week worth of gear and the second hunt will be day only. Been playing with amount of gear for both hunts and it compresses down really well for my day hunts.

JD Jones

WKR
Gonna be hard to recommend a pack since that’s so personal but the right answer is the one that fits best when weighed down. If ya wanna wing it search the past posts. You’ll see a prevailing “wind” on where you can place your hard earned money.

Jimss

WKR
If you want a once in a lifetime pack either buy Kifaru or Stone Glacier. Each have strong followers and hardly any bad reviews. I've used and abused my Kifarus for years for sheep, elk, moose, deer, antelope, scouting, turkeys.....you name it! If they are a bit expensive for your budget you can likely pick up a nearly new one on this website's classified, ebay, marketplace for about 1/2 price that is almost new. That's what I did!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Don’t overthink your first pack. My first pack was a metal frame Kelty monster from the 70’s and didn’t stop me.

Kifaru and Osprey are what I use the most for hunting and backpacking.