Pack Suggestions

T_holli22

FNG
New here and need suggestions on a pack.i will be going on my first Elk Hunt in Idaho this next year. I live in Texas and mostly day hunt but some of our stands are about a mile of walking to get there. I have narrowed it down to EXO or Kifaru. I am liking the k2 3500 and the Kifaru 22mag. Can I get by with the smaller packs or should I just get the EXO 5550 or the Mountain warrior? I’m afraid the 22 mag will be too small but it fits 90% of my hunting needs and I will only be going to Idaho once or twice a year as I have family there now. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Bghuntersw

Lil-Rokslider
What type of hunt are you doing, day hunts from a camp or backpack style? Either way the Exo 3500 can handle both. I've done as much as 5 days.

tttoadman

WKR
Packing gear is half of it. You need to have a plan to pack meat. A 3000+/- bag with a meat shelf is the same as a 6000 without if you plan to put the meat in the bag. You can make a bag smaller. You can’t make it bigger.

OP
T

T_holli22

FNG
Not sur myBrother in law has done it both ways and we are just starting to work out the particulars. I was thinking the same thing on the 3500 but really not sure which route to go I love the modularity of the Kifaru but the Exo is set up almost how I would like. I have not run a frame since frame in years but do have an ILBE just don't think it will work well in hunting environmentss

Dusty2426

WKR
I run a kifaru reckoning for my mountain hunts. Usually 3-5 days once I drop camp I cinch it up and run it as a day pack. And when I ddo shoot it’s on me to pack all the meat I can possibly carry

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
It really depends on whether you want to go with a load shelf or not. I'm a load shelf guy. Based on that I'd go with the Exo 5500, even works well as a day pack as it compresses down pretty well.

rbljack

WKR
Before I bought my kifaru….I had it narrowed down to 2 bags....it was the exo 3500 on their new frame, and a kifaru Reckoning on a 24 inch frame. I bought the kifaru set up over the summer and used it this fall on my elk hunt. If you want a do everything bag...I think either of those would work well. I have no hands on experience with the exo, but from what I saw....it looks like prepping to haul meat on the load shelf was quicker with the exo. With that said, I liked the layout of the reckoning better so that's what I went with. It worked great to haul in 5 days worth of gear, and then compressed down to work just fine as a day pack. if you are only doing day trips, and don't need the ability to carry more gear....a smaller bag might work out better. If you want the ability to pack in a few days of gear (2-3) a woodsman. For 4 or more....I like the reckoning....which is why I went that route.

One thing to keep in mind is that although the modulatiry is nice, there is a downside...and that is added weight. the more you add to the pack, the more the weight of that pack goes up. If you like the 3500 set up as it comes....that might be a great option. I didn't care for the layout as much. I like the center zip and having the ability to access whats in the bottom of my bag....plus carry a hydration bladder on the outside of the bag between the frame and bag on the meatshelf area. I also like the large guide lid on the top of the bag.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Without getting bogged down in semantics, in many respects the gear for 3 days is virtually the same as 7. This is assuming the same season and weapon. The volume of food is arguably the difference. Having come from the ultra light backpacking arena to backpack hunting, my hard won experience is that having a 5000 cu in or bigger pack is more practical. Exchanging a few ounces for comfort in packing in the field is a good exchange imo. Personally I prefer a less cluttered exterior so as not to be caught on branches, etc. Lastly, most of the bigger bags can be compressed down to the size of the frame when empty.

OP
T

T_holli22

FNG
Thanks guys I will look at the reckoning a little more just seems like way too much pack for my everyday needs. I currently run a super day pack for my day hunting but it is not very comfortable to me and I don't currently have lightweight gear so it gets pretty full for long day sits. I probably carry to much gear. The stone glacier R3 seriries has peaked my interest also however I like the layout of the exo better. Unfortunately being in Texas I can't get hands on with the packs to aide in my decision. I pent a lot of years humping Alice or an ilbe so am leaning towards Kifaru due to the tactical type designs. Some habits are hard to break I guess.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running a Badlands 2200 since college hunting in NW and SW Montana which has worked ok. We've primarily always had horses to pack our elk out so I've never worried about packing meat. Now one horse died and the other is old enough that it is no longer a reliable option (i.e. I will become the new pack horse). In 2017 I packed out a good portion of 3 elk (1 bull and 2 cows) on my back using the Badlands and decided if this was going to be a regular occurrence I need to upgrade. So far I've been able to try on the Mystery Ranch packs and I stopped in to the Exo shop in Boise the week before Christmas and tried their's on as well. I've got to say, I was more impressed with the Exo layout and feel. I've never really grasped the concept of carrying the load on your hips until I tried on the Exo (granted, only loaded with 40 pounds)! Man what a difference over my Badlands! The layout of the Exo 3500 in terms of functionality for the hunting I do (primarily day hunts with an occasional long weekend backpack hunt) just makes sense. Everything is really thought out in terms of the layout. That being said, I now just have to save up the money so I can pull the trigger. One thing to keep in mind.... I emailed Exo with some follow up questions when I got home and it sounds like the lineup of bag options will be changing a bit with the 2019 models so you may want to hold off on your decision and see if you like the new models better.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Carried the ALICE for two years...most uncomfortable pack (to me) that I ever carried. Everything seems comfortable comparatively.

Am running Kifaru Duplex lite 24 with Reckoning as well. Great size as noted by others. Aron could have named it the Accordion for the ease of expansion and contraction. The full front zip is hugely convenient. Maybe it’s best feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk