PACK TESTING: Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, Tactical Tailor

reallylivin

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently on active duty and I've found myself on a rotation with a little extra time on my hands. While searching for a couple new packs I wanted to share some of my findings regarding some of the manufacturers that the Rokslide community may find themselves considering for purchase. This post is not meant to be a direct comparison of similar models, as the capacities are varied. Much of the observations apply to range of packs from the different manufacturers. The packs that I've recently acquired and am evaluating:

Mystery Ranch Hi-Dice with NICE frame (similar to longbow/overload)
Eberlestock Jackhammer (ALICE frame version) and Halftrack (internal frame)
Kifaru AG1 with 24" MMR frame
Tactical Tailor Rhino with TT frame (variation of MALICE)

Some observations:

CONSTRUCTION AND MATERIALS
As expected the American made Kifaru, TT and MR look and feel of the highest quality. When compared side-by-side the Eberlestock feels inferior. Even though the Eberlestock is 1000d nylon (non-cordura), it does not look or feel as durable or as the 1000d Cordura on the TT, or Kifaru. In my hands, the 500d Corura of the MR feels of superior quality over the Eberlestock 1000d nylon. I will say that the construction of the Eberlestock is very well done. I just don't see the Eberlestock being as durable over the long-term as the other manufacturers in this group. The simple design of the Tactical Tailor MALICE system makes it one of the most durable packs I've ever used.

SUSPENSIONS
Thus far, I've found the Kifaru suspension to be the most comfortable. The waist belt, as claimed, wraps my hips better than the NICE or anything else that I have tried. Before I tried the MMR suspension, I was perfectly content with the NICE suspension. If it is hot and humid out, nothing seems to ventilate better than an ALICE/MALICE frame. The ALICE frame seems to be built for my ~18" torso, I can't imagine it working as well for longer torsos. For loads in the 40-60lb range, I find the ALICE/TT MALICE frames to work well for me. I've carried 120+ lbs extensively in a Tactical Tailor MALICE for several days, but I find that the center of gravity can ride too far aft due to the depth of the MALICE bag. The MR NICE frame, appears slightly more rugged and durable when compared to the lighter Kifaru MMR frame. After extensive experience with the TT MALICE or 'Fight Light' frame I know of nothing out there that is more durable due to the simplicity of the design.

PACK DESIGN AND LAYOUT
MR Hi-Dice - So far, I like the tri-zip. I like that I can have the organization of a panel loader, but still stuff it full by just utilizing the top zippers. The internal organization works for me, without having to buy more pouches. I posted an in-depth review of this pack over on Kifaru.net HERE.

MR Hi-Dice is roughly 3,000 CI next to the 4,000 CI AG1

Eberlestock Jackhammer - Despite, the inferior materials and feel, I really like the design and layout of this pack. I have it set-up to be day or overnight pack to carry the 117G radio. It's built-in organization, although not purpose built for this model of radio, works very well. The packs shallow profile carries very well and I wish all packs had similar side pouches. Re-filling and re-stowing hydration bladders doesn't get easier than with the side mounted pouches; much more convenient than digging down into the main pack bag. Lastly, because this thing is based on the ALICE frame, it ventilates better the Kifaru or MR frames, as there is very little pack suspension in contact with your back. I'm tempted to sell the AG1 and and try a 22 Mag on my MMR frame, but for the money this pack cannot be beat for this category and size of pack. Currently, the ALICE version is under 200.00 direct from Eberlestock. The new version with Intex frame retails for 329.00, however, used or like new Eberlestocks can be found for WAY less than retail.

The Jackhammer's clamied capacity is ~2,700 CI

Kifaru AG1 - This pack feels 'bombproof' thanks to the the 1000D Cordura everywhere, and in some places double layered. I purchased this pack, because of the panel loading design, recognizing that it is not as failure-proof due to the large zipper. This packs' 4,000 CI size may prove to be larger than I needed and It just doesn't pack as easily as the tri-zip design of the MR or the stuffable top/panel loading design of the Eberlestock. This pack with a couple accessory pockets could replace the large capacity of my TT Rhino MALICE pack, but would cost me more as well. The interior hydration pocket, like the eberlestock, accommodates the 117G golf and extra batteries well. Again, this pack may get replaced by a 22 MAG as I like the external pockets for hydration bladders or other bulky equipment and the size will be more appropriate for a 1-3 day commo/sustainment platform. The AG1 may just be a little large in this application. Here is another side-by-side with the smaller 3,000 CI MR Hi-Dice.

Tactical Tailor Rhino MALICE - Military guys utilize the MALICE for a few reasons. Few packs can sustain being tossed onto the back of an LMTV along with 30 other rucks multiple times, jumped from a C-130 or being 'rucksack flopped' onto the ground with 100+ pounds a 100+ times like this pack. The 5,000+ CI size along with the snow/rain collar allow this pack to be overloaded for those times when you are tasked with carrying a ridiculous military 'Winter' packing list. Also, the external pockets make it very easy to live out of this ruck for various military schools or operational situations. I think the Tactical Tailor frame (rivetless and welded) is a welcome upgrade to the traditional ALICE design and the simplicity of the zipperless main compartment of the MALICE pack contribute to its' unrivaled durability. The suspension shoulder straps and waistbelt, while not on the Kifaru or MR level are durable and a significant upgrade from the USGI MOLLE or ALICE designs. In military schools or in less than liberal command climates the MALICE pack is often approved for use when a Kifaru or MR pack may not be. I purchased the Rhino used, so that one of my teammates could use and purchase my MALICE V3, which is very similar to the Rhino.

CONCLUSIONS
For now, I'll probably be keeping the Eberlestock for 'small' pack when I need to carry the 117G radio. I'd be interesting in flirting with the Kifaru 22 MAG, if I can find a used one. However, I like that I can top load/overload the Jackhammer if needed (it has a snow collar). Although the Jackhammer could handle 50+ pounds, for my purposes the loads will typically be in the 40-50 range. The 22 Mag is strictly a panel loader with a separate top compartment. However, I would have the ability to overload it in a different way by using a meat shelf and separating the pack from the frame. If was going to regularly carry 50+ pounds than I would likely prefer the duplex MMR/22 Mag combination.

I'm going to try putting my Hi-Dice on the Kifaru frame for my 'medium' pack that can carry 50-100lb+ loads. Out of military necessity I'll also be holding onto my Tac Tailor Rhino for my 'large' pack when the other packs just don't have the capacity I need or for when the pack is going to ride more on the back of a truck than it will be carried. The AG1 will likely be sold as it just doesn't fit into scheme of packs; too big for up to 3 days and not big enough (without purchasing pouches) to replace my MALICE. An AMR might be a better MALICE replacement for me. It would carry better, and still provides some external pockets.

The Eberlestock Halftrack was purchased while it was on sale from Optics Planet before any of the other packs here, but is still in-transit or lost in the military APO system. The Jackhammer may negate its' need, so it might be sold to one of my teammates.

Hope this information is useful for some others on the forum who may be considering packs from these manufacturers!

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Very helpful! Thanks for taking the time to post and thanks for your service. More than a few guys will appreciate your insight on these packs.

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
I recently acquired a kifaru tac warrior to replace my Blackhawk ruck/ALICE frame pack. I had it narrowed down between the AMR and Tac warrior. I will also be doing a write up on the capabilities of the tac warrior once I get a little more testing complete on it [I'll be in a course in West Texas that is very demanding on gear and involves many ruck marches] the tac warriors hydro sleeve is of the short and wide design which may have been with the idea of holding comms like the prc.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

OP
R

reallylivin

Lil-Rokslider
The Tac Warrior looks like a nice alternative to my MALICE as well; similar volume, but would have the comfy MMR/Duplex suspension. I'd add some large side pockets for hydration bladders and it would be good to go.

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to acquire some side pockets myself...seems we have similar ideas

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk