Pack that works as a daypack/scouting pack but also would work for 1-3 nights?

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I come from an ultralight hiking/camping and alpine climbing background. All my current packs are frameless or have foam back panels or light, plastic frame sheets, flexible stays, and are lower volume packs (1500-2600 cu. in.) the 2600 cu. in. is an older REI Flash 45. It's an awesome lightweight backpacking pack, where I usually take a tarp with a Tyvek ground cloth, Z-rest and a Pepsi can stove I made, and works great for a light/ultralight set-up for hiking and camping, but is no fun once the load get over 25-30lbs, and would like something more hunting specific.

Since this is my first year getting into hunting I'm looking for a pack that I can use now and into the summer for quick day trips for hiking/training and scouting out areas a couple hours drive from me or for quick overnight trips (without a rifle) but would also be adequate to use on a 2-3 night trips and for hunting trips later on here in Northern CA.

The modular pack systems where you buy a frame and can swap out packs is something totally new to me. Once I actually start hunting It would be for deer here in Northern California. I know they're expensive, but seems like the modular system is the way to go?

Open to suggestions and recommendations, especially on what volume would be recommended for a one-size, do it all pack that would suit my needs mentioned above, or if a more modular system, although more expensive would make more sense?

Thanks to all in advance for making suggestions and offering the new guy recommendations and suggestions.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
I would say of the packs I’ve used, the Mystery Ranch Mule or Kifaru Stryker fit that description. If you want to be able to haul heavy I’d lean Kifaru. For emphasis on day hikes, the Mule. For either, you add a bag such as an OR 55l dry bag, Kifaru Camp bag, or Eberlestock spike camp duffel for hauling camp and supplies for multi-day events.

schmalzy

WKR
Storm Glacier Solo would be worth a look. Can handle multi day and packs down extremely slim for day hunts. I’ve hauled gravel on the frame and loaded bag out, haven’t hunted with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I would say of the packs I’ve used, the Mystery Ranch Mule or Kifaru Stryker fit that description. If you want to be able to haul heavy I’d lean Kifaru. For emphasis on day hikes, the Mule. For either, you add a bag such as an OR 55l dry bag, Kifaru Camp bag, or Eberlestock spike camp duffel for hauling camp and supplies for multi-day events.

D@mn, I just watched a video on the Stryker. perfect for what I'm looking for. Super expensive, but if I ever got into doing longer tips you just buy a larger bag and use the same frame.

pirogue

WKR
I use my Kifaru Timberline 3 for a 3 hour hunt, and a 3 night bivy.

slick

WKR
Another vote for SG 3300

*zap*

WKR
You use a bag that big as a day pack?

Sure, they fold down to nothing if you want them to and only weight around a pound more than a small bag, plus the room is there if you need it. The AMR is bigger than the 6200 but either one folds down and straps up to nothing.

Rob5589

WKR
Exo K2 3500 (used) or the K3 4800. Both can collapse down for day trips very easily or take you 5+ days depending on how much gear you want to haul.

slick

WKR
I use their old Sky 7400 for everything, as zap said, sucks down real tight, no need for anything else

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I've been eye-balling the Exo K3 4800 for the same pack description as you OP
Just watched a youtube video where they show it compresses down super small. It has options to run lidless, and has nice pockets from the get go so you don't have to spend a lot of extra $$ accessorizing.