Pack To Haul Hang On & Game Bags

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Looking around for ideas for a backpack that I could use for whitetail hunting. Ideally I would like to find a pack to use with my hang on stand (Novix Echo/Lone Wolf Alpha) and also be able to pack out game bags because I plan on gutless and deboning meat since I will be hiking in pretty deep on public land most of the time.

Packs I'm looking at BUT open to suggestions, that's why I made this post.

Kifaru - Stryker XL
Mystery Ranch Popup 38
Myster Ranch Sawtooth 45

Thoughts? Suggestions? What are you using?

I just picked up the Stryker xl for the exact same style of hunting. I tried to talk myself out of it because of the price, but there really isn’t another pack so well catered to hauling stands and meat.

I have the Sawtooth 45 and Pop Up 28. Both are perfect for the ways I use them. I'm not a tree stand guy, but I would think the Sawtooth, or even the Pop Up 38, would be a little too large for that. Unless you're talking about late season, where you might be packing lots of cold weather clothing into the stand. Otherwise, the PU 28 seems like the best option of those you listed.

Another thought. You might want to go for an MR Pintler or Sawtooth and then buy the Mule as a bag only option. Use the 1400ci Mule for early season and the larger bag for colder temps.
Keep an eye out for Labor Day sales at Blackovis and such, and you should find some good deals.

Looking around for ideas for a backpack that I could use for whitetail hunting. Ideally I would like to find a pack to use with my hang on stand (Novix Echo/Lone Wolf Alpha) and also be able to pack out game bags because I plan on gutless and deboning meat since I will be hiking in pretty deep on public land most of the time.

Packs I'm looking at BUT open to suggestions, that's why I made this post.

Kifaru - Stryker XL
Mystery Ranch Popup 38
Myster Ranch Sawtooth 45

Thoughts? Suggestions? What are you using?
stryker xl seems perfect for your needs..... it's so quick and easy to secure a load, and has some cool features, and it will be on a kifaru frame.... all good things!

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the Stryker xl for the exact same style of hunting. I tried to talk myself out of it because of the price, but there really isn’t another pack so well catered to hauling stands and meat.
Yeah it's pretty pricey having to buy it AND a frame for it, but it does look very functional.

Another thought. You might want to go for an MR Pintler or Sawtooth and then buy the Mule as a bag only option. Use the 1400ci Mule for early season and the larger bag for colder temps.
Keep an eye out for Labor Day sales at Blackovis and such, and you should find some good deals.
I am leaning towards this idea after pricing the two of them. I could have some molle sown on the Mule to add a few smaller packs too if I needed more storage.

stryker xl seems perfect for your needs..... it's so quick and easy to secure a load, and has some cool features, and it will be on a kifaru frame.... all good things!
Yeah it does seem like a very nice pack, but man you pay for it lol.

Yeah it's pretty pricey having to buy it AND a frame for it, but it does look very functional.

I am leaning towards this idea after pricing the two of them. I could have some molle sown on the Mule to add a few smaller packs too if I needed more storage.

Yes, it is pricey. But ultimately I asked myself, “are you gonna stop hunting deer from a tree stand?” Of course, the answer was no. So a pack I can use forever, that I know is top of the line, that is catered to my needs specifically, I can accept that cost.

Buying a bare frame & cargo net/panel would save you some money compared to a complete pack. You don't really need a bag to haul a stand or meat. You could always buy a bag only later on if you needed it for other purposes.

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, it is pricey. But ultimately I asked myself, “are you gonna stop hunting deer from a tree stand?” Of course, the answer was no. So a pack I can use forever, that I know is top of the line, that is catered to my needs specifically, I can accept that cost.

I am really leaning towards this way. Been on and off their site all day. Plus adding a bigger bag down the road wouldnt be so bad money wise, since I will already have the frame.

If you get time you should shoot me over a picture of your pack setup with the stand and everything, if you don't mind please.

I run a hunter frame and cargo panel.
I have a medium pocket at the bottom of the panel and run a guide lid above the panel. I have not had a day I could not haul a stand deer and gear for a day hunt yet. I usually add a grabit over the panel if it's cold to haul extra clothes.
I can detach the guide lid at the tree and leave the frame and panel hooked to the stand if it's hot out or 9n a short hunt. The guide lid adds a lot of versatility.

GuideGun

FNG
I'm going through the same thing right now. I just bought a LW sit and climb today and thinking about the MR Popup 38. The Stryker XL looks sweet, but it's 2x the cost.

they aren't cheap, but long term, it's certainly not expensive when factoring in the rest of our gear that is somewhat disposable.... packs and optics aren't that way, so buying top end is money well spent.

it's a lot cheaper than the upgrade fee when you decide you still want it down the road ;)

upgrade-itis is a real ailment that we all suffer from, there's no cure, and only those items we want treat flare ups

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
I run a hunter frame and cargo panel.
I have a medium pocket at the bottom of the panel and run a guide lid above the panel. I have not had a day I could not haul a stand deer and gear for a day hunt yet. I usually add a grabit over the panel if it's cold to haul extra clothes.
I can detach the guide lid at the tree and leave the frame and panel hooked to the stand if it's hot out or 9n a short hunt. The guide lid adds a lot of versatility.
What brand are you referring to? Not familiar with hunter frame.

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going through the same thing right now. I just bought a LW sit and climb today and thinking about the MR Popup 38. The Stryker XL looks sweet, but it's 2x the cost.
That’s where I’m at. The Stryker looks awesome. It’s a lot bigger investment up front BUT if we decide to do longer hunts out west all we would need then in a bigger “bag only” and it wouldn’t be that bad. I’m leaning towards the kifaru

I know it’s not in your picks but I’m using an Exo mtn pack hauling a stand and sticks. And packed out a buck last year worked great. My buddy used the pintler.
View attachment 316924View attachment 316925View attachment 316926
another really good option.... i love my EXO. the reason i mentioned the stryker xl and not EXO is just how intuitive the stryker xl is for securing an awkward load, and the XL's tab loops on the back side of the bag so you can secure a load in the load carriage without smashing the contents of your bag.

the EXO surely isn't difficult to secure an awkward load, they are pretty dang easy as well, one thing i like about EXO is the simplicity without having to sacrifice anything.

i have used most high end packs on the market, and for me, the kifaru and EXO are the "keepers" and i wouldn't be able to pick a favorite of the two.

strictly for packing stands in and out, i like what the xl offers, but even that is splitting hairs at most

I am really leaning towards this way. Been on and off their site all day. Plus adding a bigger bag down the road wouldnt be so bad money wise, since I will already have the frame.

If you get time you should shoot me over a picture of your pack setup with the stand and everything, if you don't mind please.
You'll have to wait until I get it, lol
Just ordered