Pack To Haul Hang On & Game Bags

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
I would check out the Kifaru Nomad 2. Pretty versatile pack that you can use as day pack or add camp bag for longer excursions. Can also pack in a deer stand or meat sacks.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I love my sawtooth 45 for packing meat it is sensational. I added the extra lid for this year and it’s perfect for my elk hunting. In a tree it would seem a little too big to me but you could haul out a boned deer & all your gear in one trip.

GuideGun

FNG
Pulled the trigger on a Duplex Tactical frame and Stryker XL bag today. I hope it lives up to the hype.

I am really leaning towards this way. Been on and off their site all day. Plus adding a bigger bag down the road wouldnt be so bad money wise, since I will already have the frame.

If you get time you should shoot me over a picture of your pack setup with the stand and everything, if you don't mind please.
D309E0F6-ADC2-437E-B8EB-193879893605.jpeg

Im liking it so far. Obviously I’ve got to really hunt with it this year to see.
that’s a summit viper and I’ve got the bag stuffed with a fanatic jacket and a fleece vest, which I typically haul in on the stand.

*zap*

WKR
Any pack frame with a good load shelf will work for stand/bags. If your wanting to carry other stuff get a good sized bag because winter layers add bulk quick and if your carrying weight in you want to pack them not wear them. If able I would stick to the high end brand stuff....frame selection should be based on contour of the stays and how they fit your body, some stays are adjustable meaning you can bend them to fit, some are not. Short torso length generally likes straight stays....I believe kifaru aluminum stays are adjustable, any carbon fiber stays are not. Best to try a few and learn how to fit a pack frame to your body and then see what works best. Straight stays work best for me so I put evo stays in my x-curve, mr guide lite works good for me and my kifaru duplex has adjustable stays...all those work with my 6' short torso body.

Good luck.

Maverick1

WKR
Looking around for ideas for a backpack that I could use for whitetail hunting. Ideally I would like to find a pack to use with my hang on stand (Novix Echo/Lone Wolf Alpha) and also be able to pack out game bags because I plan on gutless and deboning meat since I will be hiking in pretty deep on public land most of the time.

Packs I'm looking at BUT open to suggestions, that's why I made this post.

Kifaru - Stryker XL
Mystery Ranch Popup 38
Myster Ranch Sawtooth 45

Thoughts? Suggestions? What are you using?
Are you planning to leave the backpack and frame on the ground or hauling it up into the tree with you when you are deer hunting from a treestand?

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Are you planning to leave the backpack and frame on the ground or hauling it up into the tree with you when you are deer hunting from a treestand?
I am undecided. I don't think I would need to take it up with me all the time. Maybe if I had food/drinks but probably not even then really.

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a Kifaru Striker XL for the same reason as @wilkINkc . I think it is going to work just fine hauling a Lone Wolf Assault and steps plus other essentials. Haven't had a chance to load it up yet as it just arrived.

Netherman

WKR
I tried using my exo but found it to be cumbersome to remove from the pack when using the load shelf and a tough carry when attached on the outside. I've found the best solution for me was to turn the platform into a frame pack. I bought a surplus hipbelt and shoulder straps. My setup is ~$40 and it looks like LWC has a kit to do the same thing for $50.

I leave the pack frame in the truck with a jet sled. I hunt a lot more than I pack so I leave my kill kit and packing equipment in the truck until needed. I'd rather make an extra trip when I get something on the ground than add the hassle and bulk on every hunt. Late season I just throw my layers in a bag and strap it to the stand.

Hip Belt:
https://www.amazon.com/Molle-Molded-Waistbelt-Rucksack-Backpack/dp/B008V6QFYA
I paid $11 for mine so might be worth shopping around.

Shoulder straps
https://www.pack-rabbit.com/product/scrambler-shoulder-strap/
$25

Lone Wolf Custom Version:

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Stryker xl showed up tonight. Couldn’t be happier with it. IF you have any questions about stays/fit, call them, they don’t mind and will tell you what you need to order for proper fit.

legend921

FNG
Stryker xl showed up tonight. Couldn’t be happier with it. IF you have any questions about stays/fit, call them, they don’t mind and will tell you what you need to order for proper fit.

I’ve been eyeing the Stryker up, I know it’s a worthy investment but might not work this year. I’m sure it will work great for you and good to hear they are helpful in setting you up.

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been eyeing the Stryker up, I know it’s a worthy investment but might not work this year. I’m sure it will work great for you and good to hear they are helpful in setting you up.

They are not cheap, that is for sure. But, they are made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty. Also one of the big selling points to me was the frame works with a lot of the other "bag only" options they have. I have plans to hunt out west some day. When that happens I will only need to buy a bag to use with the same frame. Also all their pockets/pouches they make are all interchangeable because they all connect with molle or buckles that are used in all the bags they make.

LostArra

WKR
My Exo will be hauling three sticks and a LW hang-on to a water hole/wallow again this year. Simple attachment. Secure and quiet.

I always spend the first morning still hunting to this wallow and setting the stand. Sometimes I never go back until the last day to retrieve it but in the words of Woodrow Call "I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

legend921

FNG
They are not cheap, that is for sure. But, they are made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty. Also one of the big selling points to me was the frame works with a lot of the other "bag only" options they have. I have plans to hunt out west some day. When that happens I will only need to buy a bag to use with the same frame. Also all their pockets/pouches they make are all interchangeable because they all connect with molle or buckles that are used in all the bags they make.
Nice to know the bags are pretty interchangeable. I’ve heard nothing but good things. Hopefully will be in the cards soon.