Pack warranties

rockmail2

WKR
Looking for opinions here. I recently contacted a "high end" hunting pack manufacturer/dealer and asked if a pack is still covered by their warranty if I bought the pack from a private party here on Rokslide and they said no...but they would work out some kind of discounted pricing for repairs should I need it. Do you think the warranty should follow the pack? How does this policy impact your opinion of the manufacturer/dealer? Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts on this topic.

P.S. My apologies if this is not the right forum for this post and please remove it if that is the case.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
never understood why warranties dont extend on to the next owner. Same with buying a car that the person before bought the extended warranty on and theres still 3 yrs remaining why isnt it transferd, Im sure its a money deal but seems like they are shirking on the warranty. Id like to see it transfer especially on lifetime warranties

topher89

WKR
Money.... it allows companies to not have to fix stuff on their dime.

It is standard practice for almost all companies, so it doesn't give me a negative view of the company. But if a company is willing to extend their warranty to second and third owners, I would have a very positive impression of them

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
To me its a chicken s..t move by the company. That said I would still buy from them if i liked the product and if I bought it used the price I am will to pay for it will be reflected by the company's warranty policy.

How old is the pack.Is it one of the most popular 3 pack companies?

If less than 1 years old I would be a little upset if its truly a defect and not damaged regardless if the pack is owned second-hand.

That said at least there not telling you to get bent like many companies would these days.

I like lifetime no questions asked. It is a sterling factor in my purchase if it's for a product I intend to use. If it covers second hand ownership, it simply reinforces the product with me and ensures I'll lean its way even more.

What a company decides to do is their business on this. And, not one that would keep me from buying their product. If it's the right product. In a pack, if it's quality built, I'll buy it regardless. And pray I get to use it enough to wear it out. Besides, for what used packs are selling for, if the company didn't offer a second hand warranty, is just go ahead and buy new.

jmez

WKR
Wouldn't expect a company to warranty a second hand item. You pay for that when you buy from them. Companies should take care of their customers. They have no obligation to take care of my customers on some internet classifieds site.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I could see a company answering this way to a hypothetical used pre-purchase question. They might be concerned you are purchasing an already broken pack to turn it in for warranty repairs. I purchased a used canon camera, which I ended up needing to have repaired(user error). Canon covered it under warranty, but I could see them being leery of someone randomly calling and saying, "Will you cover a hypothetical issue of something I'm buying used."

The warranty shouldn't follow the pack, but I've had kifaru fix things for free and for a very nominal fee. It's likely the other major guys who put their stud together here in the states would do the same.

On stuff like a pack I only expect warranty if I buy it new. I have had companies warranty things I bought used and I try to steer my purchasing in their direction.

i can only think of a handful of companies that have these no questions asked, transferable warranties. if that's a deciding factor in your purchases you would really have to limit yourself on who's products you're going to buy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you think the warranty should follow the pack?

Well, you have the company and you have the consumer. The consumer would probably prefer a warranty to follow the pack, whereas the company would probably prefer the warranty only apply to the original purchaser. So for me personally.......I'd prefer a pack that doesn't need a warranty.

Example.....I have a bunch of fly rods. Some have 25 year unconditional warranties and others have lifetime. I had one rod that broke while I was in the middle of BFE British Columbia several years ago. After returning to the states, the company replaced it.......but that rod broke as well, and the next one, and the next one. That does me no good at all. I have never had any other rod brake even once, and some of these I've had for 30+ years.

sveltri

WKR
Warranty work isn't done for free, someone has to get paid. I'm not sure what would cause a pack to need warranty work, but fly rods on the hand I get. Fly rods don't just break on their own, tips get slammed in doors, shoved in the ground, hit with beads heads, etc. That being said if you want a guy to spend several hundred dollars on an item that is fairly fragile you have to offer a warranty. The company doesn't care about the second hand market, that isn't what keeps their doors open.

A lot of the best companies in the high end gear department offer only some version of a limited warranty , now most of the time you will not need it because it's flat out constructed better with better materials .those high end materials and American or European "optics" just cost more and so does the labor. It can cause some serous issues for a mfg down the road if they start warrenting items from the second and third party . It can of coarse affect the end price as well even on a less expensive item because you can bet they had to figure that warranty cost into the retail price. Buy the best you can afford go out and wear it out

I can say that Steve at Exo and Karl at Oregon Pack Works stand behind their products and are both quick to respond and excellent to deal with

Wouldn't expect a company to warranty a second hand item. You pay for that when you buy from them. Companies should take care of their customers. They have no obligation to take care of my customers on some internet classifieds site.

Totally agree. For people who disagree, why would you expect a company to serve anyone other than their customers? Please explain that to me please.

dotman

WKR
Totally agree. For people who disagree, why would you expect a company to serve anyone other than their customers? Please explain that to me please.

A company that believes in their products warranty the product not the buyer, it's because they believe very few warranty issues will arise. The companies that only warranty to the original buyer make me believe they do not fully trust their products.

Kifaru warranties the product not the buyer.

Kifaru warranty
"Lifetime guarantee against defects in materials and workmanship. Should they ever fail to provide satisfaction because of defects in materials or workmanship, we will repair or replace at no cost to you. Problems associated with normal wear or abuse will mean a reasonable repair or replacement charge."

Kuiu warranty
"WHAT WARRANTY COVERS:

This warranty covers any manufacturer workmanship defects in your KUIU gear. This warranty applies to consumer use only and is null and void if the product is used in a manner it is not intended for.

HOW LONG COVERAGE LASTS:

This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the product.

WHO IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY:

This warranty is for the original consumer purchaser only. It is not transferable. Proof of purchase must be verified.

WHAT WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:

Any problem that is caused by abuse, misuse, or an act of nature (fire, flood, moths, etc.) is not covered. Snags, stains, pilling, discoloration, deterioration, burns, or damage from normal wear and tear are not covered by this warranty. Outlet purchases are not covered by warranty. Consequential and incidental damages are not recoverable under this warranty.

KUIU's gear is designed and built with a balance of weight, comfort, performance, and durability as the goal. While KUIU products do excel in all of these aspects, it is not indestructible. Sharp rocks, stiff limbs, and unexpected falls can push any fabric or clothing type beyond its limit.

In the event that your gear becomes damaged due to any of the above reasons, please contact Rainy Pass Repair for evaluation and repair options. Rainy Pass Repair can also give a third-party opinion as to whether or not the damage should be covered under warranty.

Rainy Pass Repair, Inc."

Exo Mountain Gear warranty
"Lifetime Warranty
Exo Mountain Gear is extremely proud to based in Boise, ID and make our packs 100% in the USA. We stand behind the products we make and offer a lifetime warranty against material defects and workmanship to the original owner. If for some reason something does happen outside of that scope we will gladly repair the item for you at a reasonable cost."

Stone Glacier Warranty
"WARRANTY

Stone Glacier products are made in in the USA and have a lifetime warranty against defects in material and workmanship. Any issues associated with normal wear can be repaired at a minimal and reasonable charge. Please call or email us at the below contact details for any warranty related questions or issues."

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Which of the above warranties make you believe that the manufacturer truly believes in their product? Also which warranties do you feel keep resale up?

Last edited:

DaveC

WKR
Looking for opinions here. I recently contacted a "high end" hunting pack manufacturer/dealer and asked if a pack is still covered by their warranty if I bought the pack from a private party here on Rokslide and they said no...but they would work out some kind of discounted pricing for repairs should I need it. Do you think the warranty should follow the pack? How does this policy impact your opinion of the manufacturer/dealer? Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts on this topic.

My assumption is they were being proactive against a possible troll/free loader. I'd be surprised if any of the US made pack companies wouldn't warranty a manufacturing issue even if you were not the original owner. They just get some goofy folks calling and have to guard against that.