Pack Weight.....again. Am I shooting Par?

I know this has been beat to death, but I just want to get an idea of where I am sitting for hunting pack weight, and total pack weight (right now without food, but I am counting 2 full liters of water).

Are you guys counting the clothes you wear in and the pack itself? Currently I am, but I am thinking I will drop those weights because I personally don't consider that "pack" weight.

I don't have everything weighed yet, but for hunting pack weight...(The pack is a Kifaru reckoning, 26" frame, 2 small pockets, 1 medium pocket, water bottle holder and guide lid. Just getting the weight off of their site)

with counting the pack: 27-30 lbs (is my guess once i get a few more items weighed). Calc'd right now to 24.92 lbs.
without counting the pack: 19-22 lbs. (once everything is weighed). Calc'd right now to 17.36 pounds

So total carry-in weight

with counting the pack:
my guess is going to be between 55-60 lbs. Right now I have it calc'd to 42 lbs, but I haven't weighed my shelter, most of my extra clothes, camera, and toiletries.

without counting the pack: I get 34.44 lbs calc'd.....so to be guessing on the heavy side.....47 lbs or so once i weigh the rest of the gear.

Now count another 1.5lbs of food for 7 days gets me 10.5 extra lbs. So I can be anywhere from 57 lbs and up; without counting the pack itself.

Sound heavy, or about right? I know I am not on the light side, and I will never be that guy.

Thanks for the replies

mvmnts

WKR
Are you hiking in and setting up basecamp, or are you backpacking every day? There's a huge difference there when evaluating what is too heavy. If you're just carrying all that weight a few miles on the first and last day, then 50lbs is probably fine. If you're backpacking, I'd say it's way, way too heavy. I'm trying to do a backpack hunt for 7 days, and my goal for 7 day baseweight is 30lbs.

I come from a backpacking background, and what I am used to, and what I do is I calculate my baseweight. This includes any non-consumable item that is not clothing that you are wearing. This includes your pack and everything in it, anything in you pockets or around your neck, and spare clothing (sleep clothes, puffy, raingear, etc). The reason I include the pack is because it is weight that you are carrying and you have a choice in packs when it comes to total weight. Even though additional pack weight sometimes comes with load carrying capacity, etc, there is still good reason to include it for consistency and simplicity sake for comparison with others. The non-consumables stuff isn't included because it varies with trip length. That includes food, water, and fuel.

PS. 7lbs for a pack is a little ridiculous. FWIW, I think Kifaru stuff is way, way overbuilt. I'd rather have a much lighter pack that I have to replace every 5-10 years than suffer every year lugging around a 7lb pack that I will effectively never have to replace. For some guys, that equation may be different!

OP
A
thanks for the input mvmnts. This is more of a hike in 3 miles with all the weight, and set up basecamp. From there I would just be day hunting with around 20 lbs, and possibly bivy out a night or two. But i will not be packing up 60 lbs daily to move. I have a buddy who has the backpacking background and his total pack is about the same as yours. Cut from a different cloth, cause i don't think I will get to that weight unless I absolutely have to. I don't mind suffering with a little more weight for only carrying the weight in/out.

I think I will continue to calculate the pack as weight being carried in; cause obviously it is on your back. But I will X out the clothes that I am wearing.

I won't argue with you that the pack is on the heavy side, especially comparing it to my Osprey 60L, but I tell ya what.....it sure carries 50lbs real nice, and it's a recent purchase so I'm not switching gears and looking for another pack anytime soon.

KMT

WKR
PS. 7lbs for a pack is a little ridiculous. FWIW, I think Kifaru stuff is way, way overbuilt. I'd rather have a much lighter pack that I have to replace every 5-10 years than suffer every year lugging around a 7lb pack that I will effectively never have to replace. For some guys, that equation may be different!

As a Kifaru owner, I'm beginning to totally agree. Even empty, my pack is already ridiculously heavy. I keep thinking that someone is pranking me by putting rocks in my pack.

7# sounds heavy on paper. But having a pack that carries weight well and damn near guaranteed to not fail on you when your miles deep into a trip you spend so much time, money, and energy prepping for makes the extra 1-2# dry pack weight disappear. At least to me anyway. YMMV

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
I have the same pack, a new Kifaru Reckoning on 26" light hunter duplex. Replaces my Eberlestock of the last 5 years. Love the fit, feel & carry of the Kifaru frame and layout of the Reckoning pack.
mostly 5+ day backpacking, I hunt solo for archery. My hunt pards do only rifle hunts, thus no one to share the load. I have great hunting partners in WA rifle season but they can't travel as I do in multi states for their various reasons of family, finances or available time.

Using the new pack in my total weigh comparisons is heavier due to I like my comforts in late season at age 60. Like my Thermarest lite cot, Stratus air pad, Helinox camp chair, Tut tent/poles-stakes and OL stove. These are my heaviest gear pieces. If Early season and nice weather forecasted, ditching the cot & stove, adjusting sleep system gear saves 10 lbs. But 2 lb chair stays on.
Optics system contributes 8.75lbs of the total weight; Swaro spotter, Outdoorsman tripod-head, EL10x42. Swaro is great but weighty.

similar Pack accessories, 4 large belt pouches (3 on lower pack, 1 on the fold over lid). Nalgene holder, Platypus 3l hydration, small pouch for emergency PIRB. Total late archery pack weight is 60 lbs, with gear, 2L water, food, extra clothes. Strap on my bow and its 66 lbs. Add UDAP bear spray, sidearm on hip belt brings that up to 70 lbs. I NEVER venture archery solo without these last 2 items on my hip belt.
after setting base camp, my compressed day pack weight is 22 lbs, including water for the day.
I have 4 weight scenarios based on actual trips; A-daypack comp, B-early arch season, C-late archery season, D-rifle season.
weights vary due to gear selected/packed but respectively; A-22 lbs, B-60 lbs, C-70 lbs, D-73 lbs (300wm rifle/scope, Bear spray, no sidearm).

I just can't reduce weight more than these and be comfortable & hunt savvy for multiple days in backcountry.

just saying, in solo 5-7 miles and game down, I don't get out with camp, meat in one trip.
Researching contracting with packer & stock if game is down for the next few years. I hate that feeling of getting old....

OP
A
Great input MAV....My pack weight will be different depending on the season...I gave you guys the rundown for more of a rifle season where I am taking in some extra clothes and will be at my heaviest.
Archery I will drop some items, and after reviewing the gear/weights I have already looked at a few items to drop. Sounds like I am on the average side when it comes to day weight and total pack-in weight; which works for me. It sounds nice to only be carrying 30# without including food, but I just don't see a way I can get down that low.

jmez

WKR
My approach is a little different. I take everything that I need, a few things that I want and put it in the pack. Never sees a scale and I really don't care what it weighs. I don't backpack hunt we set up a spike camp. If I can't carry my stuff in and out, I need to get in better shape not try to shave a few pounds.

My approach is a little different. I take everything that I need, a few things that I want and put it in the pack. Never sees a scale and I really don't care what it weighs. I don't backpack hunt we set up a spike camp. If I can't carry my stuff in and out, I need to get in better shape not try to shave a few pounds.

I couldn't agree more.

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
If I can't carry my stuff in and out, I need to get in better shape not try to shave a few pounds.

Being in great shape makes all the difference in the world, especially as the days start to drag on. If you're too tired/sore/blistered up to get out and hunt, odds of success go way down!

JeremiahH

WKR
I'm not a spread sheet guy. Probably never will be. However I do try and be the lightest and buy reliable with the money I spend. Weigh the total pack weight at the end and that's what I've got. I'm pretty happy with all my gear currently but will probably inevitably change things by the end of the year again.
This was my overnight pack in December late archery last year.

30 lbs going in.
That's with with 3 litres of water and 1.5 days of food.

Came out with approx. 88lbs with whitetail spike mostly boned out. (Weighed when I got home)
But That's a goal I suppose, Going in light as possible so if animal goes down, like a deer, one trip out is nice.

234959e2870c3f593ccf16060241ef49.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited: