Pack weight, scouting trip.

WKR
Got all loaded up to scout elk and deer in the high country this weekend. With food (including the dogs stuff) I am at 46 lbs total weight. I'm taking a lot of stuff that won't go hunting, game camera, dog stuff, my heavy (bug proof) tent. I'm hoping to get the pack weight down a bit, close to 35 for hunting but that may require some cuts in optics (nearly 10 lbs total), and the side arm traded out for bear spray. Not sure about that yet.

Is there a number you are looking for in your total pack wright for hunting with camp in your back?

Still have to add things like a kill kit, calls, and the bow. Not sure what a reasonable goal might be.

ElkNut1

WKR
Without bow weight included, no spotter I've had my pack at 37# for 3 nights & 4 days! I didn't have a dog but I like the idea! Sidearm 100% over bear spray for me!

ElkNut/Paul

Without having the ability to look at everything you have and how much everything weighs it's a tough question to answer. Yes you would like to be some where between 35 - 40 pounds, but there are many factors. Are you hiking into a base camp, or are you carrying camp with you everyday? That question factors into the decision of luxuries instead of just necessities. Are you gonna be by yourself or with a buddy? Sharing a stove and/or water filter. You said high country so I wouldn't leave the optics in the truck I'd bring the extra weight. It'll be worth it. Just a few things that factor into how much your pack is going to weigh.

OP

WKR
Planning on carrying camp throughout the day but this trip may change that strategy. Will be hunting with a partner so we can combine or share some gear. He is more ultralight than I am so well see how that works next week.

I consider myself pretty lucky as I can hunt for elk, deer, bear and small game close to home. There's really no need for me to stay out overnight unless I absolutely have too. With that said, I carry goods for an unexpected stay. Usually my pack weighs about 20-25lbs for an outing.

For short stays a hammock suits me, especially in warm weather. But my pack (with water) still comes in at around 44lbs. I prefer to carry a .44 and bear spray.

1signguy

WKR
I would get rid of the tent for sure and go with a tarp or bivy and bug spray. I am guessing (not knowing your tent) that will save you 3-6 pounds alone. Get a pack for your dog and have him/her carry their own stuff - 2-3 pound weight savings? My dogs pack can fit his food for 4 days, my tarp, my ground cloth, tarp stakes, and a few other odds and ends... Gun- that's up to you but I would not hesitate to leave it at home.

With a little creativity I think you can get down to 35#'s no problem...

I have the same problem. My pack for an overnight scouting trip is always coming in around 45 lbs. I quit worrying about it a few years ago, it's good training for hunting season when you can potentially be carrying a lot more weight in the same terrain and elevation. Once I changed my mind set, it stopped mattering. There is too much hype about pack weight, either you can carry it or you can't. If you cant, start throwing stuff out till you can.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah mines friggin heavy when I'm scouting. I carry every optic I own about and also some non necessities, just don't watch it as close as when I'm actually going to hunt. I'm usually in the 45-50 lb area with spotter and 15s as well as 2 cameras and a couple lenses.

desertcj

WKR
Fully loaded with 3L of water and 4 days of food. 35-40lb, you've arrived. 40-50lb, pretty good. 50-60lbs, you could probably lose a few pounds...lol. Over 60lbs, just stay home. You won't be able to get out of bed by the time you get back anyways!

Tag_Soup

WKR
I'm at 38 lbs for 5 days with 2L of water. Weapon, tracking poles, and side arm excluded. If I'm elk hunting I'll often shed another 5 by leaving the spotter and tripod. I do sleep in a quilt and a 13 oz shelter though, which doesn't hurt. Getting off the mountain house kick helps me shed about 20 oz over 5 days. I don't really see myself ever getting much under 32 lbs. Any way you slice it, I have a lot more to gain by losing it off my gut than out of my pack!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm at 38 lbs for 5 days with 2L of water. Weapon, tracking poles, and side arm excluded. If I'm elk hunting I'll often shed another 5 by leaving the spotter and tripod. I do sleep in a quilt and a 13 oz shelter though, which doesn't hurt. Getting off the mountain house kick helps me shed about 20 oz over 5 days. I don't really see myself ever getting much under 32 lbs. Any way you slice it, I have a lot more to gain by losing it off my gut than out of my pack!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you replace your mountain house meals with?

Tag_Soup

WKR
I change it up quite a bit depending on mood, but some of my favorites are:
Dinner:
-High quality Ramen with either packaged tuna or smoked oysters (not a big weight savings)
-Instant mashed potatoes and home dried pot roast
-home made dehydrated chili
-packit gormet meals (havent used hunting, but they are amazing from some i have tried camping)
-Minute rice and home made dehydrated teriyaki chicken
-Minute rice and home made dehydrated chicken curry
-Home made dehydrated pulled pork w/home made dehydrated fajita mix. Bring a couple tortillas and some salsa/hot sauce packets for pork tacos
-Add olive oil to any of the above. I usually bring a 6 oz pack for a 5 day hunt.
-All are made and put into heavy duty ziplock bags. I used to vacuum seal, but ziplocks are so much lighter and I havent had an issue yet...knock on wood. To rehydrate, I have brought one mtn house for the first meal and then used that bag, but it is kinda messy. This year I will be making my own re-heat stand up onvelope out of reflective bubble insulation.

And the best one ever, fire grilled tenderloin or grouse with seasoning rub that I never forget to pack!

Lunch: - I never did hot lunches, but here are some of my favs
-Butthole sandwiches - I do some version of them 80% of the time. May use tortillas instead of bagles or cream cheese instead of peanut butter, but basically the same.
-Greenbelly bars
-Home made deer/elk jerky and good hard cheese, sometimes add dried figs

Breakfast:
-Museli w/dried dates or figs and powdered whole milk - pack in a zip lock and just add water.
-Pakit gormet pollenta and sausage - Only tried camping, but yum!
-Packaroons from Heather's Choice - expensive, but probably the most delicious thing I have ever had on the mountain
-Greenbelly Bars

I'm sure I am forgetting some good ones, but that is a good starting point. The big weight savings is ditching the heavy bags that mtn house come in and getting more fat into your food. I used to feel like crap after 5-7 days of mtn house. Now I feel great most of the time.