Pack weight

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Les, Email sent, thanks....

I just hope my computer can open it... This thing is old, I think it came over on the Mayflower...

dotman

WKR
Well I broke down and bought a scale so now no more guessing or going by the mfg. I have already dropped over a pound from my estimates :)

7mag.

WKR
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Les has 2 enormous sleeping bags on that pack....now that is being prepared! I've never heard of taking a back up sleeping bag.

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
All of my gear weighs in at 41 pounds not including my boots, food, weapon, and water. I carry in about 100 oz. of water and consume about 1.5 pounds per day of food. Then I do not include my boots since I keep two sets, one for warm weather and one for cold weather.

I could shave off 5 pounds using the Kifaru UL 5200 or 3700 plus few more pounds by only taking one sleeping pad, a Kifaru Super Tarp instead of a North Face Asylum Bivy, only tablets instead of MSR Hyperflow Microfilter, not taking crocs, and making the switch from my Military Issued BDU Goretex Rain Gear to the Kuiu Chugache Rain Gear. There are few other things that could probably shave some ounces, but not enough to shave off pounds.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Les has 2 enormous sleeping bags on that pack....now that is being prepared! I've never heard of taking a back up sleeping bag.

One sleeping bag and enough clothes for 2 months...

Slim Jim

WKR
Scale?

Where can you purchase a hanging scale for weight? I don't even have a small scale for individual items. Throughout the years I have been buying everything ultralight and continue to drop my pack weight but have never actually weighed my pack (except putting pack on bathroom scale - not good). Any info on where to buy one would be appreciated.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use one of these for weighing my packs before we head down the trail and when I get back with a loaded pack as well to get true actual pack weights vs. what my excel spreadsheet says it should weigh to see if my wife snuck an extra liter of wine in my pack or something. :D

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Voyager-Capacity-SmartGrip/dp/B004EZG9X4/ref=pd_cp_p_0

Pretty cheap and I use it all the time when traveling commercially on my hunts especially so I can balance the weight between bags equally to ensure they are already loaded under 50 or 100 pounds apiece. My 100 pound scale actually taps out reading at 120 pounds this one in the link is rated to 110 so it may even read higher which is nice when hauling out the back breaking loads.

Last edited:
I use a good kitchen scale for all the individual things and a bathroom scale for the total weight. For bulky items like clothing, I just tare the scale with a bowl on it and then drop the item in a bowl. Works for me.

Yk

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use one of these for weighing my packs before we head down the trail and when I get back with a loaded pack as well to get true actual pack weights vs. what my excel spreadsheet says it should weigh to see if my wife snuck an extra liter of wine in my pack or something. :D

Who, me?!?!? Whatever would lead you to worry about something like that?
:D

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks Luke, that is a pretty cool scale. I just purchased it from amazon. It's only $19.95 right now. Now I can drive myself nuts on how to constantly get my weight down.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Slim Jim,

No worries man I still use a kitchen scale for weighing the small items. Between both scales I can keep myself honest when listing what things weigh. :D

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well I never claimed to be the brains between the two of us. :D

Last edited:

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
My Pack weight excluding Weapon, water, food, and clothes/boots that I am wearing is 28#. Every item individually weighed - and then total pack weighed. I had a variance of .26# heavier on the packed pack - most likely due to rounding errors.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
My pack minus weapon food game bags calls and water, including gps empty bladder boots and the clothes I will be wearing is 27# I'm hoping I can keep my 10 day pack weight below 50lb with everything on or being carried by me. If I'm wearing it I am still carrying it so I count it as weight!

dotman

WKR
Now that I have a scale, my 10 day weight of everything including 2L of water is just at 62lbs. This is everything I will wear/carry in and also everything in the pack. So the only thing not included is my body :)

Bighorse

WKR
Communications

I'm going with a Vhf, Spot, Iphone combo this fall. No GPS. Here on Baranof we've got good signals in the alpine. With the marine environment the VHF and USCG are money!

You don't need Xtra stuff! Thats where I've evolved to. I'm make do with the least amount possible. I depend on my core pieces of gear to work everytime before I head out. Like many here I'm testing and refining my stuff beforehand.

Last year going into goat country my entire pack with a heavy .416 was right at 51pounds. I've got very similar gear to Luke and Yellowknife. The names and sizes are different but similar in concept.

I expect to come out heavy! I also need to be very mobile in the mountains. You never know where your target may lay.