Pack Wheel

blb078

WKR
Anyone ever use this or something like it. Seemed like a good thing to get until I saw the price, figured I can make it for $100 in materials or around that. Definitely be a lot easier on the back and it has a brake for going down hill. Would kind of look at it the way Luke/Becca do w/those packrafts in that you're carrying in more weight to make it easier on your way out.

http://www.packwheel.com/

Looks like a pain to me. How do you drag that thing through heavy timber and over deadfall? If your area is not wilderness designated and your are almost always on-trail, then maybe...

• Banned
OP
B

blb078

WKR
Balancing would be a matter of getting the load even on both side. Going over dead fall, I saw a video and a lady just turned around and puled it over the log w/no issues, an even load again would help with that. To me it's worth looking into and building and seeing if it does work, definitely wouldn't pay $500 for it, but you can probably pick up aluminium for it for less than $50 plus a bike tire/wheel/brake. If does then it'll be a hell of a lot better than putting the loads on your back for multiple trips. The biggest issue I see would be how well it goes on soft or muddy ground.