Pack with hands free rifle carry

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a pack that would have some meat hauling capability, 1-2 day pack. I really like hands free rifle carry capability and Eberlestock is all I can seem to find here. Any ideas? I like the scabbard idea over the kifaru gun bearer - just seems more simple and secure. Any ideas? I'm looking at the Eberlestock X5 RMEF and the Outdoorsmans Spur 50 with gun butt carrier.

EastMT

WKR
Looking for a pack that would have some meat hauling capability, 1-2 day pack. I really like hands free rifle carry capability and Eberlestock is all I can seem to find here. Any ideas? I like the scabbard idea over the kifaru gun bearer - just seems more simple and secure. Any ideas? I'm looking at the Eberlestock X5 RMEF and the Outdoorsmans Spur 50 with gun butt carrier.

I like the idea of eberlestock, just not the carry design. I’ve used them, and it can be done, I really like the scabbard. What I ended up doing was buying a scabbard alone and installing it on the pack of my choice that carries weight better. Best of both worlds in my opinion. If eberlestock would just build a better suspension they would be amazing, tough built, handy design, just need to focus on their carrying comfort for awhile.

KyleR1985

WKR
I'm not a fan of eberlestock packs. But leaving that aside, get a kifaru gunbearer for whatever pack you decide to run. Thank me later. Best way to carry your rifle while "hunting". I can have my rifle shouldered and on target in about 3 seconds, with no noise. Obviously if you're packing at night, or not "hunting", you can strap your rifle to the front of any pack. The lack of convenience there is worth the tradeoff of the useful nature of the gunbearer while looking for game.

Dennis

WKR
In the attached picture I am carrying both systems on my Kuiu pack. I like both the Kuiu the original rifle holder and the Kifaru gun bearer system, however with the gun bearer system I notice some hip pressure when carrying heavier rifles and climbing hills, but it is faster. I have settled on the Kuiu system for most of my hunts. I assume the new Kuiu quick draw gun holder would work equally as well, but still not has fast as the gun bearer.
I am able to get my rifle quickly without removing my pack, but have to take my pack off to reattach my rifle. The gun bearer system you can load with your pack on which is nice. My buddy uses the Kifaru gun bearer on his Mystery Ranch and Kuiu packs without any hip complaints, but he is younger FYI.

Attachments

• 20150905_192221.jpg
    20150905_192221.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 120
OP
M

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
Which pack did you find worked well with attaching the scabbard to?

I'm not a fan of eberlestock packs. But leaving that aside, get a kifaru gunbearer for whatever pack you decide to run. Thank me later. Best way to carry your rifle while "hunting". I can have my rifle shouldered and on target in about 3 seconds, with no noise. Obviously if you're packing at night, or not "hunting", you can strap your rifle to the front of any pack. The lack of convenience there is worth the tradeoff of the useful nature of the gunbearer while looking for game.

OP
M

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
I like the scabbard so when I take the pack off to glass or whatever, I don't have to worry about the rifle. It's all secure and protected in the scabbard. Currently I have the older Eberlestock X1 I think and like it, but need some moderate meat hauling capability.

LaHunter

WKR
My first hunt out west I had an Eberlestock J34 with the scabbard. In theory is seems like it would work well, but in reality it did not work well for me. The J34 just did not carry / secure wt very well. The Kifaru gun bearer is what I have been using for the past 6 years With my Kuiu Icon Pro. In my opinion the Gun Bearer is the best system available. My rifle has a 26” barrel and weighs about 13 lbs +/-

Eberle scabbard mounted to molle on my Nomad2, Apollo, and Native. Worked well in each application. Only reason I stopped was my rotator cuffs prevented that "up and behind" movement after stalactites grew back LOL.

ChrisAU

WKR
Really really like using the Kuiu lower with the Kifaru upper. With a little practice you can shoulder the rifle maybe a millisecond slower than if you were carrying it in your hands. All you have to do is flick open the Kifaru upper and raise the rifle to your shoulder. The Kuiu lower is an improvement to me because it attaches to your pack belt on both sides of your rifle butt instead of one attachment point in the center which keeps the rifle much more stable and keeps it from twisting while you walk.

8.jpg

Elkhntr08

WKR
Eberlestock F1 pack frame with scabbard. Add whatever bags to that to suit the hunt. I like being able to customize one pack for different hunts.
Get the tall version so you’ll have functional load lifters.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
I abused my pack and gun carrier in Alaska last year (sheep hunt in profile pic). My MR pack and kifaru gun bearer performed as expected for the prices and hype. I would recommend and if you have your reasons why you do not want to use it, that's fine, but it is a proven robust design and i will back it up now for robustness and secure-ness.

tdot

WKR
I prefer a combo of the Kifaru gun bearer and the Stone Glacier.

I prefer the bottom of the Stone Glacier system, then use upper attachments from both systems. This way I can carry the rifle either in front of my body, or back behind the pack. Both are quick release, but the Kifaru is faster and can be reattached without removing the pack. I prefer the Stone Glacier position for climbing and general hiking.

Yeah, tried the X1, it sucked. A Gunbearer cannot be beat. You can attach it to almost any decent pack to carry a rifle or bow. You can go from carry to shouldered and ready to fire in two seconds.

Gunbearer w bow.jpg
gunbearernight.JPG

Yup. Can run without it coming out. Some bows (like my Hoyt) sit better with a twist in the basket, a little trial and error is necessary to find the best option. Sometimes it's the cam, other times not.

gunbearerbottom.jpg gunbearerfull.jpg
gunbearertop.jpg

dmess

FNG
I have Kifaru pack and Gun bearer. I like Kifaru duplex packs for heavy loads and the gun bearer works great most of the time.
I think Eberlestock makes the most comfortable packs hauling less than 30 lbs but have been torture with heavy pack outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
however with the gun bearer system I notice some hip pressure when carrying heavier rifles and climbing hills

I found that torsional pull on the hipbelt uncomfortable and long ago just switched to using the Quake Claw Sling.

You are right though, the gunbearer can be deploy very quickly. But due to some old moto injuries and how it affected them, just couldn't do it.

And for a long while there I just committed to always having the rifle in my hands. Purposefully wanting the exertion on my arm muscles for exercise. But now I've learned the safety benefits of using a trekking pole so I do the Quake Claw sling. The only one that seems to stay put on your shoulder!