Packable Rain/Wind Jacket (Hunting/Backpacking)

Hey everyone,

Still new to rokslide and outdoor activities... I was looking for a good breathable rain/wind jacket that is fairly waterproof as well as packable, also one that could fit over my First Lite Uncompahgre 2.0 jacket and can act as a outer layer. The Uncompahgre is out of season right now and I won't be wearing it until the later season where I am in south Ontario, Canada... But, I am still looking for a good jacket I can take and use throughout the whole year. I would appreciate any and all suggestions but I am kind of looking for a budget option/reasonable price if possible.

Thanks again for the help,

- WJ

Welcome.

what kind of weather do you hit and do you bust a lot of brush?

for nasty weather and brush busting 3 layer goretex or similar is great. Heavy. Not as packable but dry and durable. Best budget option IMO is the army stuff. The ACU sets are $100-150 each and you can get Multcam. Probably a Canadian equivalent.

for hunting brands, my 1st gen first lite rain gear got chewed up my first time out. Tears on some modest brush. I still have it, but don’t trust it for real weather. I assume they have improved the designs since then but don’t know for sure. I have a set of dew points from Sitka. Great. Packable. $$$. I have a sitka storefront jacket too. It is bombproof but I honestly don’t find myself wearing it much.

my go to when I am hiking (not hunting) and not expecting rain, is an OR helium or foray jacket. Neither will handle a ton of brush but they are light and packable And fairly cheap.

OP
WhiskyJohns
Welcome.

what kind of weather do you hit and do you bust a lot of brush?

for nasty weather and brush busting 3 layer goretex or similar is great. Heavy. Not as packable but dry and durable. Best budget option IMO is the army stuff. The ACU sets are $100-150 each and you can get Multcam. Probably a Canadian equivalent.

for hunting brands, my 1st gen first lite rain gear got chewed up my first time out. Tears on some modest brush. I still have it, but don’t trust it for real weather. I assume they have improved the designs since then but don’t know for sure. I have a set of dew points from Sitka. Great. Packable. $$$. I have a sitka storefront jacket too. It is bombproof but I honestly don’t find myself wearing it much.

my go to when I am hiking (not hunting) and not expecting rain, is an OR helium or foray jacket. Neither will handle a ton of brush but they are light and packable And fairly cheap.
Thank you for the reply!

I would occasionally go through little to none-light brush, eventually I'd like to expand and challenge myself by going through some thicker brush in the future for my trips.

The weather I usually hit is around 0-10 Celsius (32-50 F) during the early spring with rain fall, which can consist of downpours to light mist and everything in between. During the late spring/summer its usually just a consistent light rain mixed in with the heat.

I will check out the suggestions you gave and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!

- WJ

diggler

FNG
for the price i've had pretty good luck with some kings rain gear i bought several years ago (probably not as good as kuiu or sitka) and i really like my kuiu guide jacket.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
There really are no rain jackets that are breathable, it's fallacy- to stop rain that is longer duration and/or heavy the fabrics aren't going to breathe very much at all.

Unless rain is very unlikely, stick with 3 layer jackets/pants. For hunting you'll want higher denier (more durable) fabric vs a jacket that might be used for strictly trails in a non-hunting backpacking scenario. Having features like pit zips (because of the lack of breathability) are important.

My choice for backpack hunting are the Sitka Dewpoint (jacket and pants)- decently robust fabric, 3 layer Goretex, pits zips (and full zip on the pants)- still decently light- 12 oz for the jacket and 10 oz for the pants.

A pretty good compromise between weight, performance and durability.

I have the cabelas dryplus packable and it has always done me ok. Not the best but certainly not the worst I have ever used.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I pickedbup a Black Diamond Stormline stretch rain shell for my September hunt in Colorado. It was recommended by another Rokslider.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Helly Hansen Impertech. However, the three most recent and highly functional storm jackets/coats I bought were at Uni Qlo. Excellent rain/storm gear. They also sell top-quality long underwear.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sitka Dewpoint set for sale if you go that route.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It's not the most breathable out there, but I've had good luck with the TNF Venture 2 - it packs down to a reasonable size, the pit zips are a godsend, and the price is super reasonable.