Packed a whitetail for the first time yesterday

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Any tips or recommendations for packs? Or a link to another thread on it?

I just used my Kuiu Pro setup that I use for hunting out west which is super comfortable and easy to use. I have an Ultra 4000 bag I use out west, for these hunts I put on a Pro LT 5500 because of the super bulky clothes that I carried in and out. I would basically wear just underwear/baselayers in under my waders and then shed my waders and layer up after cooling off for a few minutes. Boots, heavy jackets, etc all had to come with me hence the big pack.

jason HTX

FNG
That's awesome! Packed out my first whitetail in a marsh/swap last year. This was a particularly small doe (the locals said that island deer are all small). She was a 2.5 yr old doe that weighed just a hair over 50lbs field dressed!

She was so small, and I only had about a half mile hike through knee deep swamp, so I just laid her sideways in the load shelf with her head and legs sticking out the sides and carried on. It worked like a charm!

To the OP what an awesome hunt. My buddies and I went hunting for the first time together last season. On a whim both of them decided to get their licenses. We went to a reservoir created by the power company in the Adirondack Region of NY. We stayed in a cabin but canoed about 3/4 of a mile to an island to hunt. Unfortunately, we were not successful. It is very true that the day the fun is in the adventure of the hunt.

46790b94a15b0efc3266bb71462f047d.jpg

I myself have never packed a whitetail. I was all geared up to go out west on an OTC elk hunt, but last minute life situations changed that. I am planning a few back country archery hunts this October. With any luck I will find success. I plan on packing anything out that I shoot.

I’m looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk