Packed a whitetail for the first time yesterday

MiPublic

FNG
Awesome! I'm wanting to get into packing out vs dragging out on public. Seems more logical to me. Just gotta find the right pack!

Great buck!

Bcrawford

Lil-Rokslider
I did my first pack out with a whitetail last season. Now, if it’s more than a couple hundred yards, and anything other than flat ground, you can bet I’ll break it down in the field instead of dragging. Obviously having a good quality frame pack is key.

One life hack my buddy taught me when we do elk is to leave the quarters on the animal while taking the meat off. So much easier especially on elk!

Its crazy scrolling through the WT groups on FB that more Mid-Westies aren't packing their deer out.

I saw a gram post from a self proclaimed "Beast" who said he spent 12 hours dragging a deer out a couple miles. I mean I gotta hand it to the guy you've got to be a beast to drag a deer further than 29 feet! LoL! There's just an easier way!

I think too when you cut your own meat it's just easier to get half the work done in the field.

The only problem with the ability to pack a deer out even in "front country" is I find myself a long ways from the truck with dead deer lol!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kyle K

FNG
We have always let our deer hang to age. Do you notice any difference in the meat if you butcher it immediately?

One life hack my buddy taught me when we do elk is to leave the quarters on the animal while taking the meat off. So much easier especially on elk!

Its crazy scrolling through the WT groups on FB that more Mid-Westies aren't packing their deer out.

I saw a gram post from a self proclaimed "Beast" who said he spent 12 hours dragging a deer out a couple miles. I mean I gotta hand it to the guy you've got to be a beast to drag a deer further than 29 feet! LoL! There's just an easier way!

I think too when you cut your own meat it's just easier to get half the work done in the field.

The only problem with the ability to pack a deer out even in "front country" is I find myself a long ways from the truck with dead deer lol!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Growing up we used to fight the crowds at a state park to deer hunt. Get up at 3 am and walk the 1-1.5 miles to stay away from the orange sea. In retrospect, I cannot believe we didn’t pack it out. Would have been way easier than dragging those sons of b’s. On 25-30 degree days, we would be in a t shirt sweating out butts off after the first hill. Not sure what was worse, being all the guys in orange closer to the road watching us drag our deer out, or bring us dragging that damn deer out. Fast forward 25 years, we have a back 40 of our own and don’t have to fight the crowds. But if I did, I would be carrying my meat in my pack, while my stubborn dad would be having a heart attack with a cigarette in one hand and dragging a deer with the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
We have always let our deer hang to age. Do you notice any difference in the meat if you butcher it immediately?

Zero. In fact, the back straps from this buck were some of the best I’ve ever had. Borderline elk quality.

5E4A8804-3A68-4652-A1D3-078B7E2ED0A6.jpeg

LaGriz

WKR
Old methods can be hard to break,

I killed a nice 8-point buck (4X4) on public land using a Kayak to access the stand site. On the previous day I visited the mandatory check station and witnessed a dozen deer being weighed and checked. All were not only still whole but none were even gutted? Most folks utilized a ATV or a deer cart to recover there animal. Took my buck early on the Federal Reserve and hauled the buck to the Kayak using a single-wheeled cart. At age 64 and having already had a double bypass, It took a good bit of effort. Loaded the Buck and paddled back to the boat launch for 10:00 AM. Got help loading it in the truck from 2 other hunters. The Game Warden and the Biologists let me know that I could have gutted the deer without a problem. They don't promote a deer being quartered but they would not have a problem If I hauled it out in two halves. It may be a regional thing: I moved here from New England in the late 70's and remember the ass chewing and chastising I got for gutting a deer where it fell hunting as a guest on private land. Was concerned I might be in violation on the NWR if I gutted the deer, as so many came in whole on the previous day.

I admire your efforts and willingness to hunt where others may not go. I too like to go deep to avoid hunter pressure, but have not used waders to get to "Swamp Islands" that exist here on public land. IMHO you earned that buck Sir!

LaGriz

Last edited:

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Nice job. Need try try that one time as I usually end up dragging them out and about sick by them time I get back to truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCnative

FNG
Looks like a great time, was thinking of a hunt like that myself this year. Any thing that would be helpful for a first time pack out?