Packed and out the door time?

Poser

WKR
This question pertains specifically to packing up your gear for a minimum of an overnight outing in the Backcountry and actually getting out the door. *Not asking about RVs, campers, “hunting rigs”, horse trailers, wall tents, or cross country drives. Not because I don’t care about your camper, RV, horse trailer, hunting rig, or annual trip out West, but because I’m trying to be comparative. Also not asking about day hunts because that’s less gear. If you want to talk about how long it takes you to pack your King Cab adjusting tire PSI for the weight displacement of not having your wife in the cab (yes, I believe you when you assure us she was Miss Stephensville, TX 1998), start your own thread.

This is my 3rd weekend in a row scouting for 1 or 2 nights out. I come back from the weekend with ears stopped up from the 6,000 foot elevation change, unpack and lay my sleeping bag and puffy out, hang up my rain gear, drape my tarp over a bike to dry, clean my boots, throw away food related trash, put my optics, stove, pad in a gear bin and hang up my pack. The next weekend rolls around and I think, “all of my gear is within 10 feet of each other, I have a supply of dehydrated meals and snacks in the pantry, all I have to do is make a couple of PBJs, throw my gear in my pack and I’m out the door”, yet, it seems to be impossible to actually get out the door in under an hour. Thinking a little more progressively this weekend as the days are getting noticeably shorter, I want to be out for 2 nights, I have a 75 minute drive to get there, 4 hour hike, set up camp, 20 minutes to hike up to a glassing point and enough time to productively glass the evening shift. reckon I can get out the door by 1 pm on Friday afternoon so cutting it close on getting some actual glassing time in, I decided to pack up on Thursday afternoon to save myself some time. Not stressed about getting out the door, but kind of blowing off work so I need to be efficient, Still took me 45 minutes.

Am I incredibly slow, or does this seem about right? Seems like this should be a 15-20 minute affair for anyone who does this sort of thing regularly.

To be clear:

I compressed my quilt and puffy into sacks, loaded them in the bottom of my pack.

Put my tarp in a stuff sack double checking that I have stakes. Put in pack.

Folded my pad In Half, placed in pack.

Stove and pot, placed in pack.

Went up stairs, rounded up some dental floss, melatonin, dehydrated meals, oatmeal, couple of Vias, snacks, pot brownies (its Colorado) ... put them in a stuff sack and placed them in the pack.

Optics, tripod, glassing pad, all put in their correct places.

Filled up a reservoir of water, loaded it in the pack

Checked my TP supply, loaded rain gear, baselayer bottoms, gloves, insulated hat etc in the pack.

Began cinching the pack down as tight as possible.... boom: 45 minutes have gone by.

What’s the deal?

SWOHTR

WKR
Same boat. I found pre-making sandwiches helps and rounding things up the day before.

The flip side is to hurry and risk leaving something critical.

colersu22

WKR
If I have a trip like that I will just have everything packed and ready to go so when I get home from work I just have to grab my pack and go. When I try to pack after work I feel rushed and that’s when I forgot stuff.

amassi

WKR
Save the brownie until you're on the mountain and it will go faster.
For short trips I futz around after work the week before loading stuff. I'm sort of forgetful so I have a laminated list, item goes in pack and gets checked off.
The night before I leave I'll load everything into truck, morning of departure I get up dress fill up coffee and hit the road. Out the door in 5 minutes

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’ve found it’s relatively quick if you stick to using the same gear and packing it in the same way. You know immediately when you’re missing something and what you need to grab.

What takes forever is when you’re changing sleep systems and clothing depending on temps, glassing a bunch vs moving all the time, calls, etc.

It would still help if you make an actual gear list, can keep stuff all in the same room, and pre pack bags of food if you’re living off bars, nuts, and mountain house.

I try to have everything packed the day before I leave. So it’s a simple as coming home from work and throwing bins and pack into the truck. Now that I have a truck topper I can load everything into my truck the night before. There is always last minute things. It’s tough. Everybody has different storage options and a different way they lay out gear.

Man oh man. The worst part of the trip is the time I get off work and the time I hit the road. If I am lucky I have the truck packed the night before and drive the wife’s car to work. Even then it seems like it takes me double the time to get out the door. Go the bathroom, get something to drink, get my boys in the truck, say good by to the family. It all adds up.
Now if I don’t have the truck loaded the night before forget about leaving quickly. Even if I have everything perfected laid out in the garage and all I have to do is load up I am looking at over an hour.
I have learned to try my best not to worry about the time. I will get there when I get there. And this is from someone who hates being late to anything

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I work nights, and get off around 2 am. Considering this, everything is in my truck and ready to go when I leave for work. 1.5 hr drive, 2 hr hike in, and i'm there right before light. Glass til 10'ish then I catch up on sleep.

I slowly gather my gear during the week, and lay everything out in my office. I never pack anything until i'm ready to put all my gear in the truck. That way I can visually see everything that is going in my pack and everything else that goes in the truck. If I stuff everything into my pack prior to that, I'm always nervous that I forgot something.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Save the brownie until you're on the mountain and it will go faster.

Yep. For a pack-in jaunt......my pack's already ready to go (it's hunting season). Grab it and go.

I could go from the couch to having my truck fully loaded with my base camp (wall tent) and driving out my driveway in under an hour.

S.Clancy

WKR
This is gonna sound harsh, but you sound like my gf. She just takes, at minimum, 2x as long to do anything packing related. Your operation, for me, is 10-20 min. I generally can pack up camp in the backcountry and have some hot drink while waiting for everyone else.

jspradley

WKR
I have OCD and I can be forgetful to boot so it takes me way longer than it should packing, forgetting something, unpacking, repacking, then OCD kicks in and I'm terrified I didn't pack something so I have to unpack, check, then repack.

Then pack everything in the Lesbaru, check to make sure I have my boots, then maybe double check the pull out bag I have that just so happens to be at the very bottom of my pack, then eventually say "F IT" and drive off...

Its bad

I also live in a neighborhood that has car prowler problems so I can't just pack up my expensive ass gear in my vehicle the night before, wake up leisurely in the morning and head out.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I'm usually all packed a couple of days before then have everything staged in one pile. I have left a bag of camp clothes (not my hunting clothes) home for a 12 day hunt 300 miles from home. Discovered when unpacking the truck. Luckily there was a little small town department store 1 hour away.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
This is gonna sound harsh, but you sound like my gf. She just takes, at minimum, 2x as long to do anything packing related. Your operation, for me, is 10-20 min. I generally can pack up camp in the backcountry and have some hot drink while waiting for everyone else.

I’m going to time breaking down camp and packing up in the field this weekend and see what it looks like, but my guess is that most everyone takes longer than they think: fetching hanging food, breaking down a tent, compressing bag and puffy, getting it all in the pack how you like it, cinching pack straps down, readjusting trekking pole heights etc.

Also, keep in mind that I have a highly dependable gut and almost never have to take a shit at an inconvenient moment in any given situation. You might be the first one packed up but if you have to take a shit right about the time everyone else is ready to go, it’s all for nothing

I packed my pack last night for 4 days worth of gear and food for opening weekend of blacktail season. With making peanut butter bacon honey wraps, loading each days worth of food into seperate bags, rounding up my sleeping bag/pad, all the gear I'd say I'm right around an hour and a half. Not too bad after having to prep the food I thought. Today when I get off work I just have to throw the pack in the truck, load up a cooler and I am on the road.