Packing a foldable chassis rifle

TheAngler

FNG
I put together an XLR chassis rifle with a foldable stock and 24in barrel. I am trying to decide on how to backpack with the rifle. I am running a Glacier Solo. I can strap it directly to my pack and it’s okay. I am wondering how others are backpacking with foldable chassis rifles?

Thanks!

Gstew1930

FNG
Classified Approved
Bumping an old thread. i'm curious on this as well. if a different thread discusses this can you please tag it. i cant find one

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
Folding it.
Strapping it to the side of my backpack with the scope nestled between the bag and frame.

Folded strapped to wearers right side , scope closest to the frame with stock folded on left side of gun. I feel like this offers most protection for the scope (not that a nightforce needs it 😈)

Attachments

• IMG_1878.jpeg
    IMG_1878.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 193

Gstew1930

FNG
Classified Approved
Folded strapped to wearers right side , scope closest to the frame with stock folded on left side of gun. I feel like this offers most protection for the scope (not that a nightforce needs it 😈)
This looks pretty similar to my set up, what do you have supporting the rear of the rilfe to keep it from sliding down?

This looks pretty similar to my set up, what do you have supporting the rear of the rilfe to keep it from sliding down?
See the bottom strap and how it runs around the skinny part of the cheek rest? Plenty to keep it from sliding down

Elkangle

WKR
Get a marsupial scope/action cover

Put a bow hook on your hip belt and then use the marsupial case to loop around the bow hook...barrel can go through chest strap or add an extra buckles on shoulder strap..

When it's dark or I'm not in danger of wanting to shoot somthing it goes anywhere on my pack...my favorite is directly inside the pack

tdhanses

WKR
I use a gun bearer but when hiking in and out in the dark it just goes inside the pack with a little of the barrel sticking out.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Remember that every pack is different, and where the straps are located can change this. In some instances, I prefer to have the rifle strapped to the side of the pack to balance out the weight of a tripod and spotter on the other side, like how @Cactus kid has his strapped. Those side straps are sometimes secured under the cheek rest, or around the half of the folder, and under the crux of the grip. In other instances on specific packs, the lowest strap goes under the scope and between the scope rings, which is a pain just depends on where the lowest strap is located. Sometimes the rifle is packed directly on the back of the pack and the same thing depends on the pack brand and where the cross straps are located. Another way is using a gun bearer off the pack if the pack allows, like some offerings from Kuiu or Kifaru, I will post an example in the next comment. We have also seen customers use accessory pouches to hold the bottom of the folded rifle. If the pouch is large enough, just open the zipper and shove it in. This has been done on both the back and side of packs, and in some packs the Nalgene holder is large enough. Or something like the Kifaru Sherman pocket just strapped higher up. I will also post a picture of that example.
Comes down to preference and bag design. For myself, it is all the above depending on the terrain, the gear I am carrying how the pack is balanced out, and if I have an animal on my back also. Some personal rifles have short enough barrels on the way in or out; they get zipped right inside the pack if they are large enough.

Get a marsupial scope/action cover

Put a bow hook on your hip belt and then use the marsupial case to loop around the bow hook...barrel can go through chest strap or add an extra buckles on shoulder strap..

When it's dark or I'm not in danger of wanting to shoot somthing it goes anywhere on my pack...my favorite is directly inside the pack
Any chance you have a pic of the bow hook/marsupial case set-up?? Having a hard time picturing it in my head.