Packing a lone wolf climber with a Kifaru nomad

bascott1

WKR
I’ve got a kifaru 26” frame and a 22mag. Was looking at grabbing a nomad gen 2 to pack my lone wolf climber and sticks in and out. Was looking at an Eberlestock f1 mainframe with batwings also, don’t know which one would be better. Plan is to have the stand and sticks closest to the frame with my heavy weight clothing on top of the stand and strapped down with the wings. Figured there would be a way to attach gear for a 48-72 hr spike camp on some public land in northern Alabama. Anyone run a similar setup or have advice?

Shraggs

WKR
I have nomad 1, basically a little larger than N2. Have eberle x2 also. I don’t care for bat wings for stands or climbers as they put weight out from your body and compress contents. Good for clothing or bags tho.

if your looking to purchase, I think the Stryker shines carrying a stand with roughly same 1800 cubic volume for gear.

Can anyone confirm that the Stryker is 1,800 cu. In.?
Their web site lists it as having a pack volume of a little over 1,000.

I've seem posts such as yours that mention its 1,800.

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on that.

I'm about to find out in about a month. I just ordered one, so I'll see soon.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
I'll have to look at the stryker also. I was figuring my lone wolf lock on stand might be a little wide.

Brendan

WKR
I've packed my Lone Wolf stands, and climbing sticks with an OG 22 Mag, and an EMR2. Basically, anything with the horizontal compression straps work great. Hell, you could run just the frame with those straps and be fine.

fatlander

WKR
No matter what anyone says or is trying to tell you, there really isn’t a great pack design for carrying treestands in the whitetails woods. Before I go off here, know that I absolutely love my kifaru for what it’s designed to do. Whitetail hunting is not what it’s meant to do.

1.) High end packs are all too loud for whitetail hunting.

2.) It’s a strappy mess, especially the nomad. Been there, done that. I’ve got a reckoning now.

3.) A molle kidney belt and shoulder harness will carry your stand fine and is exponentially quieter.

4.) Having all the bag and frame with you in the tree is a lot. May as well have someone else up there with you.

My honest suggestion is to get a cheap small hydration type pack that has some storage. I’ve got the badlands reactor. It’s got enough room for a small kill kit, deer hunting essentials, snacks and water. Lash extra layers to that little pack. Lash that pack to the stand. Bring as much meat as you can lash to your stand on the first trip out.

Keep your kifaru frame at the truck to get whatever’s left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living here in NY tree stand hunting is life. I have DOZENS of stands. Lone wolf and sticks being my favorite. I have had every pack made and tried them all. My original kifaru spike camp hauled my stands 100x. HOWEVER, nothing ever worked as well as having shoulder straps mounted to the underside of my stand. Sticks lash onto stand great. Then I just put the pack shoulder straps over the V Part of the stand. Fastest, easiest, way for the past 15+ years.68112909560.jpeg

Last edited:
Whatever pack you end up going with, be mindful of high-friction areas where the stand is strapped to the frame. I nearly wore a hole in the cordura on the frame from packing in stand/sticks.

Shraggs

WKR
First I’m not sure about 1800. Don’t care pack works great for what I bought it for. Climbers and early season tools for trimming stands and my work out bag.

I also carry my climber snd attach small bag for stuff. Personally it’s not my favorite since I like my strapped up for very long hikes I have.

stryker does it very well and I can still use grab it and carry my bow.

I did carry an assembled ladder stand in three sections over a mile to set it up. 65 lbs pretty easy.

Mullet

FNG
Living here in NY tree stand hunting is life. I have DOZENS of stands. Lone wolf and sticks being my favorite. I have had every pack made and tried them all. My original kifaru spike camp hauled my stands 100x. HOWEVER, nothing ever worked as well as having shoulder straps mounted to the underside of my stand. Sticks lash onto stand great. Then I just put the pack shoulder straps over the V Part of the stand. Fastest, easiest, way for the past 15+ years.View attachment 228210
hammer, is the backpack straps and waste belt picture here a specific set up you use? What kind is this? Is it from your kifaru spkiecamp you mentioned?

The ones I posted are XOP TREES AND SYSTEMS. Much nicer than what I used. I bought all mine from military surplus. But have to say has worked for YEARS!!! My spike camp was an original. Nothing was removable

Gobbler

FNG
I’ve got a kifaru 26” frame and a 22mag. Was looking at grabbing a nomad gen 2 to pack my lone wolf climber and sticks in and out. Was looking at an Eberlestock f1 mainframe with batwings also, don’t know which one would be better. Plan is to have the stand and sticks closest to the frame with my heavy weight clothing on top of the stand and strapped down with the wings. Figured there would be a way to attach gear for a 48-72 hr spike camp on some public land in northern Alabama. Anyone run a similar setup or have advice?
It won’t work well but not for any of the reasons mentioned above. The nomad is circa 11” wide between the wings and your climber is circa 19” wide, so the wings can’t fold around the platform. Therefore you’re better off using the frame by itself or with a cargo panel or Stryker.

And I use my Kifaru frame and various packs for whitetail hunting carrying sticks, saddles, stands occasionally, and all combos are plenty quiet and very efficient.