Packing a long range rifle

So looking at sg backoacks and all the other brands for specifically a good way to pack a larger rifle with a turreted scope. Dont really like strapping it to the back of the pack muzzle up and i cant find 1 single muzzle down center of the back option ??

KurtR

WKR
get a scabard from eberlestock and run it down the middle of the nomad. I carry my 13 pound rifle in the gun bearer or with the solo hunter cover on it strapped to the center of the reckoning. I hang the bucket on the reckoning so the bbl is not so high in the air. Or look for a mountain rambler in the classifieds. I just have experience with the kifaru so i dont know how i would do it with the SG

Why not get a Solo cover and just strap it to the pack muzzle down? If you're concerned about muzzle damage, you could put extra foam into the cover to keep it safer.

GKPrice

Banned
I don't understand why you are against carrying muzzle up ? there are ways to cover or protect in a lightweight fashion aplenty .....

bucko

FNG
I use the solo cover and carry muzzle down stuffed between my bag and frame-I use a kuiu but I think you could use an EXO also.

Brendan

WKR
Kifaru Mountain Rambler carries this way. You'd need to find one used as Kifaru discontinued them due to a patent issue.

Last edited:
OP
Steakngravy
With the bulk and length of barrel with brake it tends to ride pretty high tried various setups and it kind of flopps around a bit on the packs ive tried . In the center of the back its more protected and such .i havnt tried a sg so i will look into the solo cover

OP
Steakngravy
Yep waiting on that scabbard to come out which is soon just spoke to them at kifaru

i have tried the eberle scabbard on the nomad, strapped to the side on my mountain warrior, and on my shoulder (terrible). I have found that the gunbearer works best for me. It took a while to get used to but works well. I just take it from under my arm to strapped to the side of the pack if I am not goint to need it while hiking. I know its barrel up, but it worked well for me.

I just ordered the nomad 2 and hope their scabbard works well with it.

joe

OP
Steakngravy
Asking myself if the new one will fit only the nomad or can be fit other rhino bags?

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk
I asked this very question, was told they had to puta bunch of molly webbing in the center of the nomad to support the scabbard so for now just the nomad 2

Ok serious question why not just use a sling? I like to always have my rifle ready when rifle hunting so I never strap it in to anything, just sling it around my neck and go.

reaper

WKR
Sounds like you need to look for a Mountain Rambler in the classifieds.
I know but can't decide to pull the trigger on a rambler,the CI capacity is small and i hate the side pockets.I sold my 22 mag because i was always piss off about the pockets but i do like the desing of the rambler.Nomad same thing,i dont know if i will like a wings style bag,its expensive to just order one only for trying one haha!!!

Maybe the will redesign the Rambler for 2017,not sure if it was Ryan saying that somewhere????

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
Steakngravy
Yep i hear ya brother ,i bought a rambler bag to check out the bag was just a little small for me . Idk if the stone glacier weapon sling would work for me or not mainly because idk if the bucket for the stock is big enough for a manners eh1 ,like the look of kurts setup though. Will likley order both and see which one works out.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Might want to ask mmw194287 how he's liking this design he sketched for his rig on a SG frame. I made it for him but can't really comment on if it hit all the marks he was going for.

D3FAAEDA-90F1-4CC2-BEC9-51E84F330AD5_zpsr5kxrxp2.jpg

boom

WKR
i used a solo hunter sleeve thing last year. it was awesome. it rained on us and my rifle was dry as a bone. i use a small bipod, so i could flip down the legs and put the rifle on the ground safely and the sleeve would remain and tent the rifle. we slept tentless, just a tarp..so i think i got wetter than my rifle.

i would just strap the rifle to my pack. zero issues. i am buying those solo sleeve things as Xmas gifts this year..just so my buddies dont steal mine.

WoodBow

WKR
I will just add that if you end up going muzzle up, absolutely use something to cover the muzzle. In retrospect that seems really obvious. I carried mine muzzle up and uncovered and it cost me a chip shot at a sheep. Some small debris found their way into the muzzle and made their way to the bolt face (empty chamber). When it came time to make a shot happen in a hurry, I could not get a round to chamber. It dented the neck of every round that I tried to force in. The opportunity disappeared and we had to hike our guts out to create another one. I also had to take a 533 yard shot instead of a 225. The distance the sheep traveled from blown opportunity to 2nd opportunity added a considerable amount of time to the pack out as well. Cover the muzzle!