Packing bear meat with elk hunting pack

I usually don't mind getting elk or deer blood on my pack but just recently I helped a buddy pack out a bear with my elk hunting pack and it's not too much but I'm wondering if I should wash it since bears are a natural elk predator.

OP
Western Hunter270
Agree with above...but I would probably wash your pack anyways to keep it clean?
It's only a little blood. I wash my pack after every hunting season and was just making sure I didn't have to do twice now, but with all this time on my hands do to quarantine, I'll probably just wash it anyways.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Rinsed my pack after elk season one year. Didn't use it until Deer season the following year and got rained on. Things got pretty rancid within a day of reactivating that blood that i didn't fully clean out.. Recommend you wash your back after every bloody trip to keep the funk away during future, perhaps wet, trips.

OP
Western Hunter270
Rinsed my pack after elk season one year. Didn't use it until Deer season the following year and got rained on. Things got pretty rancid within a day of reactivating that blood that i didn't fully clean out.. Recommend you wash your back after every bloody trip to keep the funk away during future, perhaps wet, trips.
Definitely don't want that happening. My packs soaking in the tub right now.

Poser

WKR
On the flipside, I have a pack I’ve been using since 2014. It’s gotten plenty bloody and packed out numerous animals. I’ve never washed it and I’ve never noticed that it stinks. Granted, I live in the SW and stuff dries out completely in this climate.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
On the flipside, I have a pack I’ve been using since 2014. It’s gotten plenty bloody and packed out numerous animals. I’ve never washed it and I’ve never noticed that it stinks. Granted, I live in the SW and stuff dries out completely in this climate.

I previously had your same experience then decided to hunt Blacktails in the cascades. Took me awhile to figure out what that horrendous stink was on day 2 and 3.

I’m with everyone above, if the elk smells the bear blood, it is already too late.

If the smell bothers you (no one likes to smell like a rotting carcass), an overnight soak in a bathtub with some unscented detergent, a good scrub, as well as a few nights airing out outside on the back porch should help freshen it up.

Frost

FNG
A couple days outside airing out helps a lot. I had a pack for four years, packed/ helped pack out 15+ animals, I think 7 of which were bears. One smelled like hell. Aired it out and called it good. I finally washed that pack once just because I sold it to a buddy. I take very good care of my gear but when it comes to packs, my opinion is that it’s going to get bloody and stained eventually, just embrace it. I honestly don’t have the time or desire to wash it every time it gets bloody. Sure if I hold it up to my nose it smells kinda funky but I never notice it while hunting. After a couple days hunting I smell pretty funky myself so I don’t notice the pack.

Thanks guys. That's kind if what I was thinking but I wasn't 100% sure.
non issue for sure. most elk country has bear all over anyhow, and they kinda stink, so it's a pretty normal smell to an elk. I have watched a bear feed, then shortly after some elk fed through.... that bear obviously left scent, but the elk never reacted to it at all.... I think they are used to smelling bear