Packing clothing for early season elk hunt!

mattfly77

FNG
I've packed in several times for a 3 to 4 day hunt before, but this September we plan on being in the back country for 8 days, maybe a few more. How much "extra" clothing do you bring in regards to pants, shirts, undies and socks? Do you bring one set of base layers or more? I have a friend who tries to go in as light as possible and only takes one of each, literally,......what he wears in is what he brings. However, he brings other layers such as vests, coats, extra pull over. Taking enough food for 8+ days will take up some room so I'm trying to figure out other ways to cut down on the bulky items. Thanks for any info you might share.....

mlgc20

WKR
I'm pretty much like your friend. I will bring an extra pair of socks. No extra base layers or anything like that.

Gerbdog

WKR
I try and go light as possible, that being said, I have a set of clothing I hike in with and then a pair of clothing I hunt in. I sweat a boatload on those hike ins and hike outs... wearing that same set of clothing for the entire week would be miserable. Secondly, having a second pair, even if it stinks, is handy in case you get caught in a rainstorm and for some reason left your rain jacket (don't do it) back at camp. I'll switch into that first, sweaty, hike in pair of clothing when I'm around camp (not often during daylight hours).

To add to that, the time I was back at camp in 2019 was when I killed my muley. Stalked in on him in my bright white long johns. I think the 3 deer (2 bucks and doe) must have thought I was too dumb to be a threat cause they watched me walk all the way in. Was a moment I was like "well heck lets just see what happens"

Last edited:
Fresh socks every day, 1 pair of underwear every 2 days. I wear the same camp the whole time , some sort of cold weather/rain gear. Done, you’ll find you can live without a lot of extra stuff just fine. Two years I’ve packed extra clothes and regretted the space and weight, but a dry sock is precious in the wet woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll pack mainly like your friend does. I bring an extra pair of socks and a liner, one more pair of underwear. I go in 7-8 plus days as well. You just have to keep airing things out as you switch socks so they dry. If you find a day where it works, you can rinse out the socks and liner and let them during mid day. I’ve worn a pair of light synthetic cargo shorts before if the initial pack in is long. They take up little space and just sit at camp the rest of the time, or are stuffed in the bottom of my pack.

bwlacy

WKR
For a 10 day pack in the last few trips I bring
1 ea liner sock and outer sock
1 extra merino boxers
1 extra base layers
sock hat
rain gear
puffy

I swap socks and boxers daily and let the others air out at camp. If my main pants or shirt get too wet I wear the rain gear until the others dry. I can hang my pants on a bush if there is sun and wind and they will be dry again pretty quick.

8 to 10 days of food is a lot of weight along with the other camp stuff. Done it a few times now. If there is plenty of water around at least you don't have to carry much of that also.

i have the kitchen sink at the truck. and a full wardrobe. i will take extra shirts and baselayer tops, 3-4 pair of socks and 2 undies. if i feel good, somewhat fresh and well rested, i hunt better. even if i do take a slight weight penalty. if im there for 8 days, I'll of already hiked in, set up camp, and taken some of my backcountry gear in a week ahead of time.

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
Dude your going to smell like shit, it just comes with the territory, but I usually bring a pair of extra socks, and a pack of baby wipes.

Gapmaster

WKR
1 pair of socks and underwear to rotate and air out as stated above. Extra clothes are just a luxury that take up too much room and add unnecessary weight. But to each their own.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Same as above.
I just take 1 change socks, 1 change underwear. Then just clothes I hunt in to try to stay light as possible hunting off my back.

It really depends on where you’re going. Hunting in the area I live, I’d probably just take my hooded fleece as the only extra clothing for the early season, its way too hot for anything more. As the end of September creeps closer I’ll add a puffy jacket.

Wapiti1

WKR
I bring only extra socks and one extra t-shirt. If I can't wear it all at once, it doesn't go in the pack. What insulation I take depends on weather report. A fleece hoodie under my rain jacket is probably enough. But, I don't mind being cold. I can sit and shiver for hours if it means I'm hunting.

Jeremy

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Two extra pair of socks and one extra liner for me, but I am doing laundry mid-hunt one afternoon in a creek. I am also going to pack for a worse weather than the weatherman says it is supposed to be - a forecast can change a lot in the mountains in 8 days.

I pack the same way I did when I was fighting fire. I change my socks and underwear every four to five days. I don’t bring a base layer in September and just wear my puffy when it’s cold in the am. I have extra pants and a shirt at the truck to change if needed but I’ve learned I can handle my stench and will go 10-14 days without changing