Packing Different when Solo-or having a Buddy

gethuntin

WKR
Wondering how much different does everyone pack when they go in for 5 to 10 days solo compared to having a buddy. What things do you take no matter what, what do you split weight on and what do you take only one between the two.

Obviously everyone has there own clothes sleeping bag and pad etc.

But what about water filtration, cooking stoves even if they are UL, first aid.or tents is it better to have 2 UL tents or split the weight of one larger UL.
Any other items i am forgeting?

Beastmode

WKR
I always pack for solo even if a partner is coming.

Exactly this. I had a buddy have to leave one day in to a hunt for a family emergency. Left me solo. Luckily I packed everything I needed to go solo.

If it isnt in yout pack I would definitely have it in your rig at the TH.

jmez

WKR
Water filter and stove are the only two we share at our camps.

I would definitely recommend your own shelter, a two man back country tent isn't really made for two people.

Since I'm 90% sure you're not asking about instances where you are hunting/packing in with your wife/girlfriend :), I'll say that my hunting partner and I usually split shelters, but only haul one water filter and stove. Oftentimes we'll split tripod and spotter between us as well...

Mike

bobhunts

WKR
Solo only and have done it this way for a while. I do believe a spotter and tripod could be shared. A camera is one that could be shared. If we shared our list we could get the ounces lower but never seem to do it. The tent would be a good one to start with if the guy you hunt with doesn't keep you awake. Mine does not ..but I do.. so, I just bring my own and he does too.Therefore the weight! With the weight savings I do believe one could split with the water filter and we do not as we split up alot but the newer ones by Sawyer seem to help there. There are alot of good ideas that people use ..we just do what we do and we will be rethinking all of that this year before we leave for Alaska chasing Moose.Bob.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
As if solo always. I'm still getting used to having a partner. Been out with some good guys this year. Maybe next year they can carry scope and cooking stove and fuel and I can go lighter! :)

Frans

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I for one don't pack for a solo trip when going in with another person. No reason to pack two tents, two rangefinders, two tripods, two spotting scopes, two saws, or two water filters. Heck on my last sheep hunt I went on we even brought along just one gun. Granted we were 20+ miles from the road at times and camped something like 17 miles in so weight was super critical. Anything has the chance to can fail on a hunt, but I go into a hunt with a team mentality anyways so I'll shave weight where I can. One thing I will bring my own is a stove. Even if just bringing enough fuel for the both of us an extra stove is like 3 oz or less and if one fails, which I have had one fail before and had to leave early on a hunt because of it, then you are usually SOL especially if above treeline where a fire to make your for hot water to rehydrate your MH meals isn't possible.

You guys that pack 2 tents, two spotters, two tripods, two saws, two rangefinders, two water filters, my hats off to ya for self-reliance, certainly a way to get it done, just not my style.

Water filter and stove are the only two we share at our camps.

I would definitely recommend your own shelter, a two man back country tent isn't really made for two people.

^ this.

Unless you are trying to conduct heat across sleeping bags, or a snoring symphony, a two person tent is an odd choice.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
When I hunt with a partner we share:

1. Water treatment system.
2. Stove.
3. Spotter/Tripod.
4. Shelter.
5. Our innermost hopes and dreams.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I for one don't pack for a solo trip when going in with another person. No reason to pack two tents, two rangefinders, two tripods, two spotting scopes, two saws, or two water filters. Heck on my last sheep hunt I went on we even brought along just one gun. Granted we were 20+ miles from the road at times and camped something like 17 miles in so weight was super critical. Anything has the chance to can fail on a hunt, but I go into a hunt with a team mentality anyways so I'll shave weight where I can. One thing I will bring my own is a stove. Even if just bringing enough fuel for the both of us an extra stove is like 3 oz or less and if one fails, which I have had one fail before and had to leave early on a hunt because of it, then you are usually SOL especially if above treeline where a fire to make your for hot water to rehydrate your MH meals isn't possible.

You guys that pack 2 tents, two spotters, two tripods, two saws, two rangefinders, two water filters, my hats off to ya for self-reliance, certainly a way to get it done, just not my style.

Luke to your advantage though I have to assume you are hunting as a team then also? In my instance somedays I hunt in tandem with a partner and some days we go our own directions. I also do understand even if seperate we could probably get by without certain things for a day here and there, but then again I like to have all my own stuff available when I want it. Whatever works for each individual should get the nod!

dotman

WKR
Luke to your advantage though I have to assume you are hunting as a team then also? In my instance somedays I hunt in tandem with a partner and some days we go our own directions. I also do understand even if seperate we could probably get by without certain things for a day here and there, but then again I like to have all my own stuff available when I want it. Whatever works for each individual should get the nod!

I agree, even with a partner it more is staying at a base camp together and doing some hunting together but it isn't out of the question for one to take off for a few days and get into a different area. Plus not everyone can always be out the same amount of time and no reason to limit another's hunting.

Jager

WKR
Carry my own gear, if someone is to leave in an emergency, things like geting much needed gear bout of their pack can be overloked.

Last edited:
OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
Thanks for all the input, all good things to consider. For shelters it would either be 2 two man tents or a 4 man + tent if we were to split a shelter. My 2 man is just big enough for me. Fly creek UL2.

Bighorse

WKR
Luke, thats why I hunt with you. Heading into the backcountry is serious for me. If we find ourselves strapping on a backpack at a trailhead I've made a commitment to look out for your safety and thats the most important thing. Second, If were hunting together there will be some frank conversation about where when and how we hunt. Of course thats best guess but an effort is made to communicate a plan of attack.

I've had a train wreck hunt before. I made every effort to talk to my partner about what I was bringing ect..... On the hill after a total breakdown I found out he was carrying duplicate of everything and crazy shit like deoderant and foot lotion.

If your hunting with someone it should be an asset. Discuss the exit too. At the end of the day you've should have a very heavy load to deal with. A good partner understands the obligation of game processing. I've got a few pards on here that have helped haul out some loads. To them.....Thank You!

If your solo, great! If your teamed up, great! Pick a plan and get after it.

I can understand a team entry and split up situation too. Hunting pressured animals in low density may require that.

So the answer to the question is communication. Make a good strategy and execute accordingly.

Oh, and all you Solo machines must be hunting small animals. We are chasing huge stuff like Billy Goats, Moose, Caribou, Elk and Bears. A partner is very very valuable when time is at a premium. Seperating days apart then realizing that you really want help carrying out a Caribou is not cool. Hunt with the end game in mind always.

Last edited: