Packing for elk hunt

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good evening everyone. Now I know this subject is probably a little to soon to discuss but I just enjoy talking hunting every day. I am two months out before I leave for New Mexico for my rifle elk hunt barring any more national catastrophes. This hunt will be with an outfitter so there are some items I don’t have to worry about Packing. I am ready to start going thru my equipment list and to be honest I am ready to start packing some things. I’m sure it is way too soon but I’m excited and want to go thru my list thoroughly. So how early before a hunting trip have some of you found yourself starting to pack up items? Especially items that you know you won’t use until the trip.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Hahahahaha it's never to early I start assessing my gear getting rid of waste I don't use and adding things I think I could use some yes within days of season ending... And then whenever I have free time and not much to do untill season starts again

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Are you looking for someone to tell you you're not weird? Not happening. Are you looking for somebody to tell you they do this too? THAT I can do :) Never too early to started figuring it out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
Been in the back of my mind since last October. Got serious about it two weeks ago for the 9/2 opener.

gelton

WKR
about the only thing I don't do is pack down items like sleeping bags and puffies, everything else goes in and out of the pack dozens of times, taking things off the list to whittle down the weight and adding/taking away comfort items, food, etc. Even after 8 years of backpacking I find things to add/take away every year. This is also true with the basecamp gear that stays in the truck.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, it’s not just you. I have piles of gear starting to get laid out and organized across my basement floor.

My training pack = my hunting pack and I’m still ramping-up to 80 lbs. of bagged rock salt on training hikes. I fight the urge, but I still ponder once a day if I should do a practice packing of my real gear to give me a warm fuzzy.

Until I’m a week out, packing lists will help with the urge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
My stuff is pretty dialed in. Doesn't really change year to year. Takes about 20 minutes to pack .

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk