Packing for Flight

simpy16

FNG
First time flying with gear to a hunt. This is flying with Alaska Airlines and just want to make sure I do it correctly so no issues when I check in...

Trekking poles- Checked bag? Are they considered a weapon if kept on my pack as my carry-on?

Prepped Meals- Checked bag...shouldn't be an issue I would assume

Fixed blade and Havalon blades- checked with rifle or bow case.

Lighter or fire starters- are they allowed at all?

Power supplies- carry-on... can it be checked or is there an issue with lithium battery?

Ammo- Gun case, it is in a green plastic container since its reloaded so should be okay.

Anything else I need to think about so I am not scrambling and repacking when I am at the airport tomorrow?

any l-ion batteries are supposed to be with you in your carry on. There are also limits on the size of those batteries but chances are you're not even close to it (we dont even come close to it with our survey gear). keep your blades in your checked bag. I have had a lighter in my carry on multiple times and never had an issue with alaska airlines taking that. I am not sure what kind of fire starter you have but if its anything chemical i probably would just buy that in anchorage or fairbanks, or just put in in your checked bag, worst comes to worst they will just take it. trekking poles shouldnt be an issue if you want to have them on your carry on. Ammo should be good to go.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
If you can, put your trekking poles in your gun/bow case. Remember, all ammo packed separate from firearms, so it goes in a preferably locked small container in checked bags.

Fire starter like pyro putty will likely be banned from baggage. If you are going to Kotzebue, where there is nothing to buy, try soaking a bunch of cotton balls in petroleum jelly vaseline and storing them in an airtight container. They burn really well.

We carry on two Goal Zero chargers with 140 total watt hours stored and airlines don't say boo about it.

rayporter

WKR
i have had lighters and fire starters confiscated.

and one time i was taking an msr stove and bought a new fuel bottle still in shrink wrap that they almost threw away. they did find me to tell me i could not take a fuel bottle, but they let it go when i produced the regs. have the regs in hand.

i got fire starters through the last time by buying the esbits that walmart sells. they look like giant one inch diameter aspirins. i put them in with peppermint candy that was the same size and put it right on top of the rest of the food.

If you can, put your trekking poles in your gun/bow case. Remember, all ammo packed separate from firearms, so it goes in a preferably locked small container in checked bags.

That is incorrect regarding the ammunition. Last time, I flew Alaska airlines with a shotgun and a rifle and two boxes of ammo for each in the same case. Not a word about it in Denver, Seattle, or Anchorage. I also believe they want your ammo in factory containers, whether it's factory ammo or not.

Alaska airlines is pretty lenient on carry-on items, you can probably get your trekking poles through that way but it's easier to have them in your checked baggage.

I wouldn't bother with the fire supplies. Buy something when you arrive.

Power supplies in your carry-on.

mcseal2

WKR
I pack ammo both in my rifle case, and in a checked tote. All in factory boxes. My thinking is if someone who does not know the regs, or just wants my ammo, takes it from one place I still have the other box. I have not lost any either way, but have heard stories from those who have.

its all airline specific. You can fly alaska airlines with ammo with the gun in the case. People think all airlines follow the same rules but that is very incorrect. Just for instance i think delta you can only have 11 pounds of ammo, alaska airlines you can have 50 pounds for most instances.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Dont go over that 50 lbs. with AA.
Had to take a pair of socks out of my checked bag in Bethel.
Yes, a pair of socks.

I guess I'm confused, I've checked firearms on Alaska Air and Delta. No one from either airline has ever looked inside the case or really asked me questions about it either. The TSA person inspects it in front of me and then I put my locks on (non TSA), not to be opened until it's back in my hands. I've always flown with ammo in the case in enclosed boxes where the ammo is individually secure. No matter the airline - because TSA is inspecting it.

Same with carry on bags, no one from Alaska Airlines has ever checked my carry on. It's not like TSA has separate lines for each airline.

Maybe someone who works for airlines can set me straight.

As far as ammo, it can go in the gun case on every airline I’ve flown. (Alaska, Delta, Frontier, United, and southwest). The ammo has to be in a container designed to securely carry ammo, which includes factory boxes, plastic reloading boxes, and firearm detachable magazines.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at Alaska Airlines rules. They may have changed and I stand corrected. It states you can put ammo in approved containers, but not loose, in your gun case. However, in 2019 TSA did not permit us to do that traveling to Alaska. Caused a repack at the airport. We then put our factory boxes into small dry boxes in our checked luggage. TSA guys were complete hard asses about it to our group.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Fire starter like pyro putty will likely be banned from baggage. If you are going to Kotzebue, where there is nothing to buy, try soaking a bunch of cotton balls in petroleum jelly vaseline and storing them in an airtight container. They burn really well.

We carry on two Goal Zero chargers with 140 total watt hours stored and airlines don't say boo about it.

Ammo can be locked in the same case as the firearms, I’ve done it dozens of times.

It's a good idea to pack a copy of the airlines firearm policies with you... I have found that I know more than they do with the exception of most of the AK agents. Texas for some reason has been the worst flying with guns.

I’m looking at Alaska Airlines rules. They may have changed and I stand corrected. It states you can put ammo in approved containers, but not loose, in your gun case. However, in 2019 TSA did not permit us to do that traveling to Alaska. Caused a repack at the airport. We then put our factory boxes into small dry boxes in our checked luggage. TSA guys were complete hard asses about it to our group.
Where did you fly out of?

I leave on Delta in a few weeks for Alaska! Ammo boxes and guns together! Think they will me more strict on the mask 😷

Last edited:

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
One thing that many people still get wrong is to make sure the locks you use for your firearm case are NON-TSA locks. You should be the only one with the key. I'd say check the trekking poles in your rifle case if you have the room....avoid any delays due to having to repack, and as others have said, LiO batteries go in the carry on.