Packing for Flight

It's a good idea to pack a copy of the airlines firearm policies with you... I have found that I know more than they do with the exception of most of the AK agents. Texas for some reason has been the worst flying with guns.
This. I've had to break them out on more than one occasion, to the extent of being told that it is illegal to check a firearm at all. Missed my flight on that fiasco. You never know who you are going to get and what mood they will be in.

Ive found that most agents could care less about whats in your case. I fly with firearms and ammo often and no one has ever taken ammo out to weigh it. But I always keep it to 11 pounds or less. I have always flown with ammo in the gun case. United, Southwest, Alaska Air, American. They all have different rules for some reason on how to pack (whether with the firearm or in a seperate bag). I find that the initial bagging agents tend to get nervous around firearms, so I try to strike up positive conversations right from the get go to make them at ease. That usually allows me to be a couple of pounds over too. Be nice, you usually get nice back.

One thing that many people still get wrong is to make sure the locks you use for your firearm case are NON-TSA locks. You should be the only one with the key. I'd say check the trekking poles in your rifle case if you have the room....avoid any delays due to having to repack, and as others have said, LiO batteries go in the carry on.
Also lesson I learned this last trip was pack an extra lock. I use combos so I dont have to keep up with a key. Upon arrival, I had a lock that was damaged in transport and had to go to local fire department to get it cut off. Finding a lock to fit for the flight back home wasnt easy. Now I have a spare lock that I keep in my case if it ever happens again. It would have saved me hours of trying to find one in the middle of nowhere.