Packing for Super Cub

elkguy

Lil-Rokslider
I will be flying out into the Alaska wilderness this fall. This will be my third moose hunt, 1st via Super Cub . I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to share some knowledge on how to pack for their gear and what size duffles fit best. I want to ensure I make it easy as I can on the pilot.

I was thinking about shipping small duffles (not sure which size) along with my main duffle. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
That's respectful thinking...good on you. Stick with your thoughtful process and email or call your pilot/transporter with the same question...I'm sure they will appreciate your inquiry. Be specific and ask most packable dimensions of the bags, maximum weight per bag, and total weight allowance (which they have probably already specified to you). Some of the Super-Cubs have an additional cargo compartment under the aircraft, some don't.

I've flown in a Super-Cub a number of times. I'll share that the pilots seem to appreciate me having several bags of varying size/weight, which allows him options to disperse the weight as we load the aircraft. Stay away from putting everything in one super-heavy bag.

I'm sure you'll get other suggestions from the helpful 'sliders here, but honestly, contact your pilot/transporter with your question...they will appreciate that you're thinking ahead.

gbflyer

WKR
I have owned 2 super cubs along with various Cessnas. Currently own a kit plane that is a tandem 2 seater with baggage configured similarly. I have hauled a lot of stuff in airplanes, from 250hp outboards to rolls of carpet to bleeding passengers.

You are on the right track breaking it up into smaller duffles. The best thing for hunting and camping gear are the Sea to Summit or Sea Line or one of the other brands of roll down dry bags. They are affordable, waterproof, tough, and packable. They come in an array of sizes. Bulkier, more squishy items can go in the larger ones, etc. I think some of the companies sell a 3 pack that is an assortment of sizes.

This is how we load our PA-18's for a maximum weight-and-balance payload of 300 lbs, not counting pilot and fuel:

Rifle or bow gets tied to the wing-strut;

Super light stuff (sleeping pad, ice axe/hiking sticks, collapsable water jug, light tarp, etc) gets stuffed down the tube;

Then packframe sits upright directly in front of the tube opening, then a 12'12x24 inch duffel goes in fron of the pack;

Then a bagged tent sits propped upright, then camp fuel and sleeping bag alongside tent, and then hip boots on top of all that;

Then the back of the passenger's seat is inserted;

Then we start piling on soccer ball size food bags and miscellaneous "junk" till the entire compartment behind the passenger's seat is crammed full;

Then the passenger gets in and buckles into his or her harness and puts a headset on, and then a bag of salt goes on their lap.

My best advice to you is to talk directly to your pilot and rely on what he tells you to bring. Keep in mind that if you weigh 220 lbs fully clothed, you'll only be able to bring 80 lbs of rifle, food, camp equipment, clothes and hunting gear.

Have fun .....

Nothing bigger than a 3,000 cubic inch duffel is my rule. I use a couple different sized Taku bags which hold a lot of my gear. My small-ish backpack (Pintler) is always packed tight. Sleeping bag in its own compression bag. Tent, cot, pad, etc in their own separate bags. No bags smaller than a football. I'm a definite fan of compression bags and roll-top stuffers.

One tip: Think about packing for maximum density. Air space (in bags) is wasted space. Find something to put in there. Keep your (example) 80 pound pile as small and tight as possible. Your pilot will like that.

Edited to say: Everything possible should be compressed, either in a compression bag or by hand as it is placed/stuffed into a bag or small duffel.

Last edited:

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a couple dozen ultra-lightweight nylon duffles (perhaps 1500 ci) each. I break up my Cub loads into these bags and label each one with what's inside and I also tie different colored surveyors tape onto the nylon grips to differentiate between gear loads. Each color of tape identifies a pre-weighed gear load so the pilots don't need to weigh each bag to determine what's a full/allowable load. Lots of small bags in a Cub is a much better choice than fewer large bags. You never want to try and pack a big bulky bag/etc into a Cub.

AKPA18

FNG
I have owned 2 super cubs along with various Cessnas. Currently own a kit plane that is a tandem 2 seater with baggage configured similarly. I have hauled a lot of stuff in airplanes, from 250hp outboards to rolls of carpet to bleeding passengers.

You are on the right track breaking it up into smaller duffles. The best thing for hunting and camping gear are the Sea to Summit or Sea Line or one of the other brands of roll down dry bags. They are affordable, waterproof, tough, and packable. They come in an array of sizes. Bulkier, more squishy items can go in the larger ones, etc. I think some of the companies sell a 3 pack that is an assortment of sizes.
👆This.

And as someone else said - call the guy taking you. Maybe he has some specific ways he likes to roll.

Here's another tip I can share:

Go online and buy some 1" flagging tape. Look for the wild stripes or polka dots, but make it a unique color. Bring the roll with you when you travel. When you re-pack your gear (think hotel or hangar) for the bush flight, tie a piece of this tape to every one of your individual bags. Be sure others know it's your stuff.

This might sound a bit O-C but I've seen mixed gear loads in trucks and at staging areas. Guys are sometimes sorting out gear from multiple hunters and it's darned easy to miss or mix up a nondescript gear bag. I always mark mine this way, and it make things a lot easier.

OP
E

elkguy

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the insight, this is much more information than I expected.

I will give the pilot a call to see exactly what he prefers.

I saw the Sea to Summit and Sea Line reccomendations, any others you guys would take a look at?

John - can provide any details on the “ultra-lightweight nylon duffles (perhaps 1500 ci) each” you referred to?

Again, thank you guys!

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
elkguy, something like this. I don't see what I bought at REI now on their website, but just focus on "packable duffle bags" in the smallest sizes and you will be good to go.

OP
E

elkguy

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you sir, and to the others that offered up advice!

VernAK

WKR
Here's another tip I can share:

Go online and buy some 1" flagging tape. Look for the wild stripes or polka dots, but make it a unique color. Bring the roll with you when you travel. When you re-pack your gear (think hotel or hangar) for the bush flight, tie a piece of this tape to every one of your individual bags. Be sure others know it's your stuff.

This might sound a bit O-C but I've seen mixed gear loads in trucks and at staging areas. Guys are sometimes sorting out gear from multiple hunters and it's darned easy to miss or mix up a nondescript gear bag. I always mark mine this way, and it make things a lot easier.

Great advice as there's often confusion at hangars and remote strips. I've lost gear in the past but had it returned later.

Another tip: I carry a small fish weighing scale that goes to 50 pounds so I mark each duffle prior. Know your weights.......it may save you a gear load or allow for a luxury item

OP
E

elkguy

Lil-Rokslider
Never though about the carry along scale. Makes sense and probably eliminates confusion.

Viper*6

FNG
Air Service operators have their own operating weight restrictions. Ask what the total weight allowance is for the passenger and cargo. This will determine how much you can bring. The 2 PA-18 Super Cubs we used for a Brooks Range sheep hunt had extended range fuel tanks which reduced our cargo load limits. We were limited to 45# of cargo plus rifle. This hunt was for a 9 day sheep hunt. Pack light! I'm sure the pilot wanted to ensure he had enough cargo space and weight available for the game animals we harvested for the return trip without multiple trips. Not many areas to stop for fuel north of the Artic circle. Your mileage may very.

40 Mile Air used to have a bi-wing PA-18 Super Cub back in the late 70's. Extra wing was nice for super short runway take-offs and landings but did reduce passenger and cargo weight limits. The aircraft had a super slow stall speed of 24nm or 24mph!!! With a good head wind, it was like walking down the runway!

When you recommend using roll down dry bags, what size bags are you thinking?

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Carry a few contractor garbage bags and distribute everything evenly. No need to buy anything special. Don’t poke the wing with your rifle.

gbflyer

WKR
When you recommend using roll down dry bags, what size bags are you thinking?

I’ve got a bunch that are about the length of a old time sleeping bag stuff sack but are slimmer that we end up using mostly. I also have 2 bigger ones that have backpack straps, about the size of a really big daypack. We put our boned out meat in them too, no mess in the plane. Obviously not for long term storage but fine for a few hours. Turn inside out and easy cleanup.

The folks that camp out of sea kayaks have this down to a science. They have various sizes they cram inside of those touring boats. I have some hippie friends that go out in them for a couple of weeks. Also they have some clear bags which are really cool, you can see what’s in them. You can pick up some really good packing info from that group.

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of great advice above, probably can't add to it.

Another part of packing though, is packing yourself. Mentally & physically. Relative to a bad landing.

Listen to the preflight: where's the safety gear, how do you open the door & window, etc.

I keep a few key things in my pockets like a small knife, now-a-days an inreach, a bar (food).

I pack pretty light but always pack at least a quart of water (in one of my bags) so I land with at least some.

As best you can, dress in stuff that tolerates fire better than average. There's an old story about a pilot whose nylon underwear melted under his Nomex suit...

There's a thing called dunker training that is real handy, even if you won't be landing on water. It's best experienced, but you can probably at least read about it online and get the key points.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The rule with any Cub pilot is to pack in small, compact and numerous bags and duffels. No hard cases except maybe a small Action Packer box that'll fit on the floor behind the backseat. If I may suggest one of my Youtube vids for a Cub-packed load(s)...watch the first 5 or 10 minutes of this video because I think it'l get you pointed in the right direction: