Packing game out

outdoor hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Heres the scenario,you and a buddy plan a 10 day high hunt and you pack in. You kill a nice deer the 2nd day of the hunt. Your twenty miles from the nearest road, your buddy wants to stay and hunt. What do you do with the meat and cape for the remaining 8 days??

Suggestions would be really nice

2rocky

WKR
You go to town with your meat horns and cape. Bring back a 6 pack of cold beer when you come back. Now git going...

RUTTIN

WKR
I don't think you have much choice unless there is some snow around, or the temps are low. You will need to get your meat out and taken care of. I guess this is where you need to discuss with your partner before the hunt what to expect if one of you tags out early, do both of you help or do one of you pack out while the other stays to hunt. Something you both need to agree on before the hunt so there are no surprises.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You go to town with your meat horns and cape. Bring back a 6 pack of cold beer when you come back. Now git going...

Excellent suggestion!!! Thats what I do if town is an option for sure. Becca and I killed a good sized caribou on day 2 of our 12 day sheep/caribou hunt and we were 12 miles from the truck. Left camp setup and packed it out on day 3 of the hunt, came back to camp on day 4 of the hunt. Especially in warm weather it wouldn't be worth the risk leave meat in the field for 8 days if given the chance. You'll be back for days 4,5,6,7 & 8 to help pack out his deer and camp anyways, making that pack out much better with two guys and one deer and camp.

bowinhand

WKR
Your buddy can pack his deer out on his own it's probably all down hill anyway...or you can take a day or two and help and get help in return when it's your turn and that's why you probably hunt with a partner in the first place.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've always put the meat in contractor bags and dropped it in a creek. Keeping it for 5 days isn't out of the question doing this, but it also depends on the temp of the creek.

I don't think you'll find a spot 20 miles deep unless you're in AK and maybe Idaho.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excellent suggestion!!! Thats what I do if town is an option for sure. Becca and I killed a good sized caribou on day 2 of our 12 day sheep/caribou hunt and we were 12 miles from the truck. Left camp setup and packed it out on day 3 of the hunt, came back to camp on day 4 of the hunt. Especially in warm weather it wouldn't be worth the risk leave meat in the field for 8 days if given the chance. You'll be back for days 4,5,6,7 & 8 to help pack out his deer and camp anyways, making that pack out much better with two guys and one deer and camp.

And let me just say, that pizza we split on the evening of day 3 after packing out the 'bou tasted pretty incredible :)

As mentioned above I would pack it out then return
My hunting partners and I determine before our hunts that if one kills early in the hunt that the other will continue hunting while the person that killed will pack everything back. Can't say that I have ever had a hunting partner not help with the haul out though, even on several first day kills.

bohntr

WKR
This scenario has happened to my hunting partners and I on several occasions. It's fairly simple for us.....we all chip in to get the boned out deer meat, cape and antlers back to camp. Cool it overnight by laying it out. Then when the next morning comes and your hunting partners go hunting, the shooter packs out the whole load (Meat, cape antlers) to trailhead and to the nearest town for processing (meat locker-taxidermist). Once in town, the shooter generally stays a night in town, gets a soft bed, cooked meal and shower, and hikes back in early the next morning (with a treat of some type) to help spot for his buddies.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have also been in this scenario. We either pitch in together and get the meat out and on ice or the one who killed the deer will take it out alone and get it on ice. It all depends on if the other hunter is hot on a buck or not or having luck pinning one down. Often times a buck can move around a lot in the backcountry and if you have found him it is good to stay with him and take advantage of a stalking opportunity when it arises. Last time this came up I brought back a couple treats for my buddy. How many of you have eaten McDonalds above 10,000 ft? ;) I wouldn't want to make a habit of it!

JNDEER

WKR
I have not done 10 days where on day two you kill one. But I have done a 5-6 day hunt where day 2 you kill something. I always have a giant ice chest in the jeep full of ice. Pack out the animal and put it on ice until the hunt is over with. I do not keep the cape or mount the head so I do not have to get those items on ice. It would depend on what your doing with the animal.

I would go with Bohntr suggestion or Aron's. I have heard of putting them in a cool creek and I know it will work.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use same system as Bohntr...only reasonable from my point of view on an out of state hunt. If a local hunt, it doesn't matter as much.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
With the guys I hunt with, we all pitch in together to get it out, and then head back in ASAP. We will skip the warm bed for a night thing though, but never skip the treat.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
drop my extras at camp, and pack out the deer and put it in the cooler at the truck. there is no cape in my situation as i only euro mount deer unless they're huge and i don't have the patience to hold out for a huge deer.