Packing Heavy Loads - Tips & Tricks

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Packout season is nearly here!

I talk to a lot of guys about packout comfort and fitting every year, and have found that some simple things can make a huge difference in how comfortable a pack rides with heavy weight.

So I threw together this video with most everything I know and have learned over the years. This info will crossover to all backpack styles, not just ours.

I hope it helps some guys avoid "character building" packouts this fall.

If anyone has other tips or tricks I'd love to hear them.

When you put your meat in your game bags or whatever your using cord offthe middle to seperate it into to parts helps to distribute weight and so its not one big mass slumping down tey to keep it high

Trr15

WKR
Pretty basic pointer, but I picked up a pair of Leki carbon hiking poles a few years ago and started using them on pack outs. They make a big difference. I keep them in the truck and only use them when packing meat. Not sure how i managed without them before. (didn't get a chance to watch the video yet, so forgive me if this was covered)

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the video. Im preparing for my first backcountry hunt and I have my pack weight at 52lbs. It seems that its wearing out my shoulders much more than it should and now I realize I have the torso length to short.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you for the video. Im preparing for my first backcountry hunt and I have my pack weight at 52lbs. It seems that its wearing out my shoulders much more than it should and now I realize I have the torso length to short.

Thanks, that's awesome. Makes it worth the time of putting it together.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great video! I definitely learned several things. You’re pretty good at explaining things without being too simple or drawn out.

LaHunter

WKR

I talk to a lot of guys about packout comfort and fitting every year, and have found that some simple things can make a huge difference in how comfortable a pack rides with heavy weight.

So I threw together this video with most everything I know and have learned over the years. This info will crossover to all backpack styles, not just ours.

Nice video.

Randle

WKR
Good video thanks. I have found that most packs just have the load shelf too low and no adjustment . Eberlestock, HH full curl, badlands etc. If they wouldaddress that their packs wouldn't be so horrible.

Thanks for taking the time to create this video......it is very informative and helpful. Thanks for sharing it on Rokslide.

Pretty basic pointer, but I picked up a pair of Leki carbon hiking poles a few years ago and started using them on pack outs. They make a big difference. I keep them in the truck and only use them when packing meat. Not sure how i managed without them before. (didn't get a chance to watch the video yet, so forgive me if this was covered)
Oldman sticks diffently help. Too bad I know from experience on this.

Excellent video. Packing heavy loads with your tips/advice and my Seek Outside pack has never been more comfortable! Thanks for taking the time to put the video together.

dwelk

FNG

Great post! I like your comments about frame height.