Packing list feedback

jljmonky

FNG
Hitting souther Colorado 77 for 1st Rifle this year. I’ve hunted the general area for one rifle season and three archery seasons in the past. I’m looking to save some weight and go further do thoughts on what to cut from the list and why would be helpful...

Baseline clothing - darn tough socks, Belleville mountain hikers or Danner hikers (undecided), tactical ripstop pant of some kind, moisture shocking T Shirt of some kind. Planning to use a DPMS LR10 , 4 round magazine. 4-12X44 scope

Kifaru Military frame with DT2
Permits
Para Tarp with homemade poles (swiffer handles)
MSR Pocket Rocket
Titanium Cup
Long handle spoon
2 butane Canisters
Klymit Static V pad
Kifaru zero degree slick bag
SOL bivy
Kill kit - havalon, BOM Bags, flagging tape, para cord
Rain paints and coat
Patagonia Nano Puff
Patagonia Synchilla
Silk weight long underwear bottoms
2 pr Darn Tough socks
Smart wool 1/4 zip under shirt
Blaze vest, ball cap and beanie
Small first aid/repair kit (duct tape, super glue, needle/thread, pain killer, vitamins, repair buckles)
Power bank/batter pack (phone as GPS and Camera)
Gators
Bugle call
1 32 oz water bottle
10-15 rounds ammo, two magazines (box fed rifle)
Small rag, small bottle lube
Sven saw (at least one in my group)
Small fixed blade (RAT 3 or similar)
Small multitool
Correct wrench for scope/mounts

Food

3 Mountain House meals (divided in half and repacked in freezer bags = 6 meals)
6 packets oatmeal (3 breakfasts)
3 Mountain House cold granola breakfasts
6 freezer bags granola/trail mix
6 cliff bars
6 5 hour energy drinks or similar
12 propel packets
3 instant coffee packets
4 bullion cubes

Chest rig
Binos
Range finder
Water bottle
Cow call
Compass
Windicator
Emergency kit (space blanket, whistle, cord, folding knife)

I really appreciate your input/feedback

OP
J

jljmonky

FNG
So about that... I’m 5,000 miles from all that gear right now and will have about 3 or 4 weeks to really nail down my gear after I get home. It’s not much of a change from a few years ago which landed me around 44 lbs.

Bl704

WKR
Maybe I missed the water treatment (filter, drops...)

Also at quick glance, it's recommend trekking poles - hold your tent up at night and helps when you have a loaded pack. The cascade mtn poles (Amazon or some Costcos) are about $40 and relatively light.

1 can of fuel for 3 days.

Consider leaving extra food, the saw (if you're thinking skull plate and would have to make trips to haul meat, you can get it on the first trip. If you intend to cut wood for a fire can it be broken by other means), extra ammo at / near vehicle... Just in case.

OP
J

jljmonky

FNG
Maybe I missed the water treatment (filter, drops...)

Also at quick glance, it's recommend trekking poles - hold your tent up at night and helps when you have a loaded pack. The cascade mtn poles (Amazon or some Costcos) are about $40 and relatively light.

1 can of fuel for 3 days.

Consider leaving extra food, the saw (if you're thinking skull plate and would have to make trips to haul meat, you can get it on the first trip. If you intend to cut wood for a fire can it be broken by other means), extra ammo at / near vehicle... Just in case.

Good points... I use MSR tabs... glad you pointed that out. Two cans, max or 6 days in on fuel. I have poles cut have not taken them in the past... they’ve stayed in the truck but maybe something new this time... and leaving the saw for the return trip is good too, we aren’t taking the 8 man and doing a base camp this year so I am not taking a big enough stove to need to cut fire wood.

Apollo117

WKR
What size fuel canister? I've used one 8oz canister to boil water twice a day for ten days.

Maybe I'm not reading closely enough, but it doesn't seem like you have enough calories per day. Could you count up the calories and list in another post? I'd suggest at least 3,500 calories per day, regardless of your body size and normal intake.

You listed that you'd be wearing one pair of Darn Tough socks and then you've listed two more in your pack. I wouldn't carry three pairs of socks. Just two.

CMF

WKR
Any substitute for the 5-hour energies? I've considered packing them, but decided against due to the weight. It would be nice if they had a powder mix, or maybe there is one and I haven't found it?

Apollo117

WKR
Any substitute for the 5-hour energies? I've considered packing them, but decided against due to the weight. It would be nice if they had a powder mix, or maybe there is one and I haven't found it?
I haven't done a lot of research for a five hour energy replacement, but Nuun Sport + Caffeine jumps to mind as a possible replacement.

fabes22

FNG
I used to pack the 5 hr energies, now I use 1 Mio Energy concentrate container. It weighs the same as one 5 hour engery and it will last you the whole week. Just a suggestion, but I would add some jerky and some candy bars to supplement your 1/2 mountain house meals.

Good luck!!

You could try a pre-work out instead of the 5 hour energy. They usually have caffine, and bcaa's to help muscle recovery.

I would try at home first though

OP
J

jljmonky

FNG
You could try a pre-work out instead of the 5 hour energy. They usually have caffine, and bcaa's to help muscle recovery.

I would try at home first though

The pre-workouts I’ve used in the past really gave me some shakes. I’ve got some caffeine gum to try too, that may be a good mix and the coffee as backup. I have it and the bullion as a warm me up drink. Calorie wise I’ve always carried too much food, always. I’m really trying to cut it back. The first couple days I have never been able to force myself to eat much, I’ll definitely look harder at calories when I get home and really start packing.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider

this stuff is gold Xtend Energy

mix it and throw it back or put it in your nalgene and sip throughout the day. caffeine, BCAAs and electolytes. not as much caffeine as a preworkout but about like a stiff cup of coffee. most of the flavors taste great too.

OP
J

jljmonky

FNG
Seems like I can’t be too far off the mark... ditch a pair of socks, leave the saw at the truck, validate calories, lighten my caffeine resource...

Anything else I could cut or should add?

Hitting souther Colorado 77 for 1st Rifle this year. I’ve hunted the general area for one rifle season and three archery seasons in the past. I’m looking to save some weight and go further do thoughts on what to cut from the list and why would be helpful...

Baseline clothing - darn tough socks, Belleville mountain hikers or Danner hikers (undecided), tactical ripstop pant of some kind, moisture shocking T Shirt of some kind. Planning to use a DPMS LR10 , 4 round magazine. 4-12X44 scope

Kifaru Military frame with DT2
Permits
Para Tarp with homemade poles (swiffer handles)
MSR Pocket Rocket
Titanium Cup
Long handle spoon
2 butane Canisters
Klymit Static V pad
Kifaru zero degree slick bag
SOL bivy
Kill kit - havalon, BOM Bags, flagging tape, para cord
Rain paints and coat
Patagonia Nano Puff
Patagonia Synchilla
Silk weight long underwear bottoms
2 pr Darn Tough socks
Smart wool 1/4 zip under shirt
Blaze vest, ball cap and beanie
Small first aid/repair kit (duct tape, super glue, needle/thread, pain killer, vitamins, repair buckles)
Power bank/batter pack (phone as GPS and Camera)
Gators
Bugle call
1 32 oz water bottle
10-15 rounds ammo, two magazines (box fed rifle)
Small rag, small bottle lube
Sven saw (at least one in my group)
Small fixed blade (RAT 3 or similar)
Small multitool
Correct wrench for scope/mounts

Food

3 Mountain House meals (divided in half and repacked in freezer bags = 6 meals)
6 packets oatmeal (3 breakfasts)
3 Mountain House cold granola breakfasts
6 freezer bags granola/trail mix
6 cliff bars
6 5 hour energy drinks or similar
12 propel packets
3 instant coffee packets
4 bullion cubes

Chest rig
Binos
Range finder
Water bottle
Cow call
Compass
Windicator
Emergency kit (space blanket, whistle, cord, folding knife)

I really appreciate your input/feedback
Will 1/2 a mountain house be enough food at the end of the day or are you supplementing with more evening food?

mcseal2

WKR
Wilderness Athlete Energy and Focus has been a good replacement for 5hr energy for me.

OP
J

jljmonky

FNG
Will 1/2 a mountain house be enough food at the end of the day or are you supplementing with more evening food?

For the first two days or so in the past it has been enough... I’ve never actually done the work to split them, in the past I’ve wasted a lot of left over food. Trying to find the happy medium on this one...

Bl704

WKR
Seems like I can’t be too far off the mark... ditch a pair of socks, leave the saw at the truck, validate calories, lighten my caffeine resource...

Anything else I could cut or should add?
Foot care is important. I do like the luxury of that extra pair of socks...an unnecessary luxury.

Also, Leukotape... You can pre tape toes/heels if prone to blisters, if necessary and leave it in the vehicle, but I throw it in my med kit as it is a multipurpose tool.

OP
J

jljmonky

FNG
Foot care is important. I do like the luxury of that extra pair of socks...an unnecessary luxury.

Also, Leukotape... You can pre tape toes/heels if prone to blisters, if necessary and leave it in the vehicle, but I throw it in my med kit as it is a multipurpose tool.

I’m not prone to blisters, good socks and well fitting boots coupled with tough skin... I only have blisters if I make mistakes. That’s why I’m not opposed to removing the pair of socks.

My boot decision will be the tough part, the Danners got wet a few years ago on an archery hunt and I couldn’t get them to dry so with only 2 pair of socks rotating enough to let things dry and not screw my feet up was difficult.