Packing Meat in Wet Terrain: Risky?

Cfriend

FNG
Been struggling to find bugling elk in my location, so I decided to backpack into a new area that looked promising. I expected steep, but the topo didn't seem to do it justice. Really steep climb to start, and then about a mile of steep climbing/sidehilling in blowdown and brush to the top.

About 2.5h in with another 700' if elevation to go, I started thinking about getting an elk out (solo). It was supposed to start raining the next night and continue hard for two days. Assuming I killed the next morning, I knew I wouldn't get it out before the storm hit. The thought of coming out of there solo with a heavy pack in the rain worried me, and I wasn't sure meat would last till the weather improved. Ended up deciding to come back out, rather than risk losing meat or hurting myself getting it out.

I didn't like to give it up, but I think I'm comfortable with my decision based on my current knowledge. Wondering what some of you all's experience has been packing through steep country in wet conditions. Do you think it's worth the risk?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Got a similar spot I've been hunting this season. The mile before getting to the truck drops over 1000'. Luckily there's a stream next to it. My plan is to leapfrog meat down. If it's that hot I have contractor bags I'll put the meat in and stash it in the creek as I move down. Slow and steady is the name of the game.

Marble

WKR
After being inured a few times hunting I've became slightly more cautious.

If you are solo by yourself and it takes 2.5 hours to get in going up orett steep terrain that's dangerous, I would have to evaluate my plan.

As far as the meat goes,the rain won't necessarily ruin it, it's the temps that would be more of a concern. It's not great foe it to be getting wet for days but I would rather it be wet than warm.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Part of being a good hunter is knowing your limits. Packing an elk out solo,on good ground is a challenge. I took a tumble in the snow 2 years ago with a hind quarter of a cow on my back. If I would have been solo, I would have been in trouble. If you were uncomfortable in your situation, good on you to back out.

Trekking poles. Like having 4 legs.
Trekking poles for sure, if still sketchy, micro spikes

Elk meat is not a super fragile thing either, find a decent place to hang meat (creek draw, shade, just a cool place, in the mountains, there is always a cool place)

I wouldn’t hesitate committing to a pack out that would take me 2 full days, you have some time with elk meat…

Ucsdryder

WKR
Google earth has gotten me in more than 1 tight spot with their damn 3d imagery. Never seems to look as steep as it really is!!!

Ucsdryder

WKR
There is a setting in Google Earth Pro that allows you to exaggerate the elevation. I’ve found it to be pretty handy.
Yep and I agree. It’s much more accurate. Last year I was crawling down and avalanche chute that looked “ok” on GE. I kept thinking “I can’t go back up, it better not get steeper below.” I chose not to shoot an elk in that spot. I didn’t feel like eating the whole thing in that hell hole.

OP
C

Cfriend

FNG
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I would have kept going if the forecast was dry weather. What worried me was the two days of hard rain coming up. It was hard enough for me to stay upright without mud and wet deadfall. I've never hiked stuff like that when it's wet (much less with a heavy pack). Am I overreacting?